What are you reading?

Ymesocool

Not Without Laughter by Langston Hughes 

Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens(this thing is ridiculously huge)

Both are readings for my class. It's great being an English major :)

Only until you look for a job after college. Zing!

It's true.  :crycry: That's why I'm switching programs haha

Currently reading The Kite Runner for my College English class

I read that in high school! It's one of my all-time favourites. 

• 1 month later...

House of Leaves. I'm only 100 pages in, but I'm quickly realizing what a genius and massive book this is. Ever read a book and think to yourself that you probably shouldn't be reading it because it's going to have some profound but also negative effect on you? Because this is that book. I once read a vampire series (by Darren Shan) when I was a kid and wanted to become a vampire. This book is going to make me afraid of the dark.

Currently reading the Wheel of Time series.  I suppose I've been on a Fantasy kick the past year.  It's not particularly good writing, but I feel like every self respecting fantasy nerd has to have read it.  

It's not particularly good writing, but I feel like every self respecting fantasy nerd has to have read it.
The series infinitely improves in the last few books when Robert Jordan dies and Brandon Sanderson takes over the writing. Likely an awful thing to say, but still true. :/
It's not particularly good writing, but I feel like every self respecting fantasy nerd has to have read it.
The series infinitely improves in the last few books when Robert Jordan dies and Brandon Sanderson takes over the writing. Likely an awful thing to say, but still true. :/

And I'm looking forward to it.  Sanderson is a much better author!

Intelligent investor

ever so slowly finishing house of leaves

Edited by Emeraldwpn
  • 2 weeks later...
House of Leaves. I'm only 100 pages in, but I'm quickly realizing what a genius and massive book this is. Ever read a book and think to yourself that you probably shouldn't be reading it because it's going to have some profound but also negative effect on you? Because this is that book. I once read a vampire series (by Darren Shan) when I was a kid and wanted to become a vampire. This book is going to make me afraid of the dark.

Cirque du Freak, I loved those books when I was young.

Currently trying to get into the Game of Thrones books. Only like 50 pages into the first one. I will probably wait until this season ends to jump into them.

Currently trying to get into the Game of Thrones books. Only like 50 pages into the first one. I will probably wait until this season ends to jump into them.

by 1/4 way through the book you wont be able to put them down.

I agree, and that very fact is difficult for me. I'm in the middle of the second and face a dilemma. I have less and less time to read, yet in one week Skin Game by Jim Butcher comes it, which I have eagerly been waiting for... I don't have time to finish all Song of Ice and Fire books by then, but also want to start Skin Game right away. I suppose all the death and intrigue is more interesting than Dresden, but still...

A lot of self help books lately. :rhon:

Right now it's 'A walk in the woods' by Bill Bryson. About this guy who walks the Appalachian Trail. :rhon:

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, and that very fact is difficult for me. I'm in the middle of the second and face a dilemma. I have less and less time to read, yet in one week Skin Game by Jim Butcher comes it, which I have eagerly been waiting for... I don't have time to finish all Song of Ice and Fire books by then, but also want to start Skin Game right away. I suppose all the death and intrigue is more interesting than Dresden, but still...

Dresden books take like all of 5 hours to read though.

Finishing up the Wheel of Time series while shopping around for some new books to purchase.

I've heard it was really good but never picked it up yet.

And I'm looking forward to it.  Sanderson is a much better author!

Hell no, that whole series was seriously a waste of my life. I read 1 through 6 in one week between finals, yeeeaaarrsss ago, and it was like a damn addiction. 99% of the book sucked majorly and then in the end something amazing happens. Jordan's death should have came a lot sooner, like after book 2.

• 2 months later...

Finished the Wheel of Time series last night. 14 freaking books. The ones written by Sanderson were about 10x better than the rest of the series. So much less repetitive.

The ones written by Sanderson were about 10x better than the rest of the series. So much less repetitive.

Told ya so!

Read all of Sanderson's stuff if you haven't yet. So good. :aww: