What are you reading?

Ymesocool

On 3/3/2018 at 12:55 PM, Ethan said:

I'm finishing up Wizard and Glass, @Ymesocool

I just sent @Linda a message saying how I was originally annoyed when I realized the majority of this book was set in the past and went into Susan's storyline. I wasn't interested in it right away, but now I'm about to cry because of what I know is coming up. This has been a gripping phase in this series.

On 3/4/2018 at 8:47 AM, Linda said:

I look forward to your reactions to things that happen later in the series. I would never have expected something from Stephen King to hit so hard in the feels but he does it.

I'm currently reading After Alice by Gregory Maguire and then plan to finish the Earth's Children series.. and then buy the second series of Mistborn.

Ugh, yes. This brings back some memories. I need to reread these at some point soon. Wizard and Glass and the Gunslinger in particular are worth the reread themselves! There's still a lot of great left to go and I'm super jealous you get to experience it for the first time, Ethan!

Also, I saw that I started this thread when I had just begun Gardens of the Moon, book 1 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I ended up finishing that series about a year or two ago (it's LONG). It's not for everyone because it is extremely dense and daunting (10 books, 1000 pages each) but I would really recommend it for you epic, high fantasy nerds. The scope and magnitude of events in that series is massive (much bigger than any other fantasy I've read) and Erikson's world building is amazing. It can be extremely confusing as you're just constantly hit with so much information but eventually you learn the world and the Gods/beings/societies and it's amazing to see it all come together (after a very long time). The series also has some of the best dialogue and banter I've ever read. Even with some faults, the series is just so mind-boggingly vast and good.

Onto today, I'm currently reading (listening to) Winter's Heart, book 9 of the Wheel of Time series. I started the series about half a year ago and it's quickly becoming (possible become?) my favorite series of all time (Malazan currently holds that title). It's like a greatly expanded young-adult story but there are just so many great moments, characters, battles, prophecies, philosophies, and random moments of "this was planned all along?" It's beautifully written, although Jordan can sometimes be wordy for the sake of it. But after reading Malazan, this is a cake-walk. That's not to take anything away from Jordan's writing either. He's done an amazing job so far and I'm excited to see how Sanderson picked up the series after Jordan's death, while Jordan was writing book 12. I have 5 books remaining in the series and I really just don't want it to end!

Speaking of Sanderson, I've been very interested in reading his work for a while. Soon on my list (possibly next) is Way of Kings, although I could be convinced to go Mistborn instead. Another contender for the next series is The Black Company. Might also read some of the Dune series after the first book, since I stopped there previously.  I'll figure it out after I finish, idk :shrug:

3 minutes ago, Ymesocool said:

He's done an amazing job so far and I'm excited to see how Sanderson picked up the series after Jordan's death, while Jordan was writing book 12. 

The initial transition from Jordan to Sanderson is a little rough. Characters "voices" change just enough to throw you off. Mat Cauthon particularly suffers from this. That said, once he gets going I much enjoyed the changes he brought to the story. We stop having page long descriptions of what someone is wearing, the plot picks up, and the original character he introduces becomes one of my favourites in the series. 

He is, as would be expected, far better with his own stories, but it's a nice teaser for what his writing is like. 

4 minutes ago, Ymesocool said:

Speaking of Sanderson, I've been very interested in reading his work for a while. Soon on my list (possibly next) is Way of Kings, although I could be convinced to go Mistborn instead.

I'd suggest putting off reading Stormlight Archives (the series with Way of Kings) until you've dabbled in a little Sanderson. While the series stands on its own, it does touch on a lot of his other works and there's quite a bit of detail that you won't pick up on until you've read his other "cosmere" novels. Mistborn series is A+. His short stories are also excellent. 

Just now, Beric said:

I'd suggest putting off reading Stormlight Archives (the series with Way of Kings) until you've dabbled in a little Sanderson. While the series stands on its own, it does touch on a lot of his other works and there's quite a bit of detail that you won't pick up on until you've read his other "cosmere" novels. Mistborn series is A+. His short stories are also excellent. 

You have convinced me, Jade. If Sanderson is next, Mistborn it is!

@Ymesocool I agree with Jade, but for different reasons.  Mistborn is finished.  There's only 3/7 books out for Stormlight Archives.  Don't torture yourself with unfinished stories like we do!  

There are still Mistborn books being written! Although, yeah, the first trilogy is complete. 

There was an abridged version of this that was often what my parents would read to me as a child, and I recently picked up the unabridged/real version. It's a really relaxing read as it is a collection of short stories really; still it is very enjoyable and can be quite insightful :P 

The Complete Aesop's Fables.

My wife bought me a book, its named something like dream marriage, half if it is about god. This should improve my relationship with wife or with god? I dont know, but surely its a message from a wife, alarm alarm alarm:) one thing that i can tell you, that this book puts me to sleep in 5 min, and because it is small, it is not so painfull when it drops on your face.

On 3/5/2018 at 7:48 PM, Rafi said:

@Ymesocool I agree with Jade, but for different reasons.  Mistborn is finished.  There's only 3/7 books out for Stormlight Archives.  Don't torture yourself with unfinished stories like we do!  

I feel less tortured and more frustrated at how much I forgot. I find it difficult to justify investing what little free time I have on re-reading books, particularly long ones, so I find myself getting annoyed when the next book drops a name/character without giving me any refresher context and it takes me three chapters to remember who the hell they are. 

Also, everyone should read the Dune series, up to the point in which Herbert died and his son took over. Fuck his son's books. 

• 6 months later...

I have read every single work mentioned by title here, and am unsure how to feel about that.:sadbanana:

I'm currently reading (or rereading, depending on the book) Agatha Christie's series in their respective orders, and am on Murder on the Orient Express of The Hercule Poirot Mysteries at this time. :) I doubt she needs yet another sincere recommendation, but I offer it nevertheless!