So I failed my driver's test...

BenKenobi

Manuals are just the standard over here. We tend to have more hills, tighter roads etc where you need a bit more control about what gear your car's in. That's why I believe automatics don't have the monopoly, anyway.

If it is standard, it's standard. I was more referring to (at least around here) if you are serious about your car it's the "cool thing" to have a manual. I don't get the allure of having it. 

If it is standard, it's standard. I was more referring to (at least around here) if you are serious about your car it's the "cool thing" to have a manual. I don't get the allure of having it. 
Probably just because it's easier to rag it.

If you stay in a low gear you can get your engine roar louder.

I personally prefer the convenience of driving an automatic. Some people drive a manual because it's usually about $1000 cheaper when purchasing your car and it also provides slightly better gas mileage, assuming you know what you're doing.

Edited by FSU Zach
I got mine y second try. I got dinged the first attempt because I couldn't back around a corner very well and when I made a right hand turn at a light I turned to sharp and was in the bike lane.

I thought I couldn't go into the bike lane, but then after the test, my examiner said that I should've gone into the bike lane to make a right turn!

Did you do your test in an auto?
Nope. My parents bought a pickup for a good price about a year before, so that ended up being what I had for driving to school and sorts.

Any excuse for driving a manual? I was considering a manual and then wised up and just got a GTI with the DSG transmission which allows me to shift if I want to. It is an automatic for the most part. I don't see the allure of having to shift my car 100 times while I am driving through town opposed to not having to worry about it. 
You really don't shift that often. At a stop sign, go to second gear, third gear for residential neighborhoods, fourth for main roads, fifth for the freeway. So, really it's just when stopping or turning. And it just becomes muscle memory after a while. As Dan said, it can help with hills. There isn't that much difference, though.

The one thing is, driving in stop-and-go traffic, especially going up hill, sucks big fuckin dick

I failed the first time on an autofail. I didn't stop for a Somalian woman gunning into a shaded crosswalk while she was wearing an all black dress and had a black whatever the fuck covering her hair (it's temptation!), and yeah, I did everything else fine, I just did not see that lady and it was an auto fail!

In the end, driving slow is a good thing and showing the person giving you the test that you are actively checking your mirrors and being alert is a HUUUUGE plus.  As long as they think that you are alert can at least parallel park (just that one time), then you're probly gonna be good to go.

Take your time, do things right, and you'll pass.

Am I the only one who didn't have to drive on any real roads for my test?

I didnt.

Except I had to drive 6 hours on the road for my permit.

I didnt.

Except I had to drive 6 hours on the road for my permit.

^

Where I took it it was a closed course

95% of my test was in the parking lot. The other 5% constituted me driving on the road that wrapped around the DMV's plaza.

Man you guys should take a UK driving test. :dan:

I think the modern version is the instructor says "Take me to the hospital" and you have to follow roadsigns and such to get there safely. I think he might ask you for manoeuvres en route.

When I did mine you drive along a pre-set public route (if you get a poorly timed test you could be doing it in rush hour) and you're asked to perform 3 manoeuvres while on it. 1 in 3 people are asked to do an emergency stop as part of their test.