College Football - LSU is your daddy (indefinitely)

Joshjrn

SEC teams should be rewarded and everyone else punished. Any system that doesn't accomplish that is fundamentally flawed :hmph:

So they should keep the current system in place? :reporter:

A system in which four teams from the SEC West made the playoffs would be ideal :chuffed:

Be even more ideal if they continue their recent trend in which they all lose. :youmad:

Edited by Zach

I'm not sure when one season became indicative of a trend :P

Using a 2-year sample of Bama-OU, FSU-Auburn, MSU-GT, Ole Miss-TCU and Bama-OSU '-'

BCS bowls/New Years 6 bowls

Edited by Zach

Seems inappropriate to cherry pick games when your original comment referred to "all". Last season was, admittedly, an absolute trainwreck. However, the year before, the SEC West went 4-2.

I would say this year will go a long way towards deciding whether last season was an aberration or the start of a trend.

I wasn't necessarily cherry-picking, as the BCS/NY6 bowls are the only bowls that have the utmost national significance. Winning those bowl games puts you in the conversation of being the nation's best team. The "all" I was referring to was in response to all those SEC West teams losing their playoff matches, as they've lost all their BCS/NY6 bowls the last 2 seasons (0-5). 

The non-playoff former BCS games can be a mixed bag as far as reading the tea leaves. For example, I don't think anyone could reasonably argue that 2008/2009 Utah was a better football team than 2008/2009 Alabama. But, Utah was absolutely thrilled to be in the Sugar Bowl while Alabama was pissed that it wasn't in the championship. Bama came out lethargic and got run off the field. Similarly, I think 2013/2014 Alabama would beat 2013/2014 Oklahoma on a neutral field more often than not. But, it's hard to come out and fire on all cylinders when you lose your shot at a championship on a last second kickoff returned for a touchdown (one of my all-time favorite college football moments, I might add :trollface:). And I think we all agree that your win over Auburn could have gone either way on any given day. When you restrict your data set to such a small sample size, things get a little wonky.

With all of that said, I make absolutely no excuses for last season. It was, again, a train wreck.

Winning those BCS games merely puts you in the conversation that you otherwise wouldn't have been a part of if you had played in another bowl instead. That obviously excludes scenarios where teams like Utah, UConn and NIU made appearances. To an extent, I liked watching those games with the mindset of the pre-championship game era, in which #1 didn't always end the season playing #2, and the final rankings were a culmination of all the top-tier bowls.

Ordinarily, I'd excuse Alabama's loss to OU after their devastating loss to Auburn, but as of late, Saban seems to have an excuse for every loss other than his team just got outplayed. Because of that, I'm not as quick to defend Bama in their losses as I used to be.

In terms of our game against Auburn, there's a large part of me that believes the first half of that game plays out completely different if Jimbo didn't take so long to listen to our sideline by concealing his play calls. It could have been a coincidence, but we went from getting dominated to then dominating Auburn once Jimbo finally listened to Kelvin Benjamin about Dameyune Craig yelling out all our calls to Auburn's defense.

Edited by Zach

Certainly possible. That said, I don't know if you can look at the second half ass kicking in a vacuum. Football is an extremely emotional game. It's easy to let your guard down when you go up big, and it's damned hard to get it back up if you then get hit in the mouth. My senior year in high school, we beat a team early in the season pretty comfortably. We met them again in the semis and proceeded to go up on them something like 21 points at halftime. The rain started coming down in the second, our offense stalled on a couple of drives, and all of a sudden, Keiland Williams proceeded to become unstoppable. No matter what we did, we just couldn't light the fire again after we let it go out. We ended up losing in double overtime to a team we would beat nine times out of ten after giving up a massive lead.

Now, none of that is to say that Auburn was better than you were. Frankly, with the way that game went, we'll probably never know. I would simply hesitate to entirely dismiss the first half and embrace the second, no matter the reality of their knowing your calls.

I don't disagree with any of that. I just find that the way Auburn's defense (particularly their secondary) was shutting down an offense with 12 players who are now in the NFL, I find it plausible that it affected the way that game turned out.

Coaches' Poll

Rank, Team (First-Place Votes), Points

1. Ohio State, (62), 1598

2. TCU, (1), 1487

3. Alabama, (1), 1452

4. Baylor, 1365

5. Oregon, 1260

6. Michigan State, 1230

7. Auburn, 1103

8. Florida State, 1057

9. Georgia, 1026

10. USC, 1014

11. Notre Dame, 883

12. Clemson, 838

13. LSU, 727

14. UCLA, 697

15. Ole Miss, 668

16. Arizona State, 577

17. Georgia Tech, 573

18. Wisconsin, 470

19. Oklahoma, 407

20. Arkansas, 377

21. Stanford, 365

22. Arizona, 299

23. Missouri, 229

24. Boise State, 190

25. Tennessee, 166

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I'd let Josh get a breather, so I'll post the preseason AP rankings.

Ranking Team First-place votes

1. Ohio State 61

2. TCU 0

3. Alabama 0

4. Baylor 0

5. Michigan State 0

6. Auburn 0

7. Oregon 0

8. USC 0

9. Georgia 0

10. Florida State 0

11. Notre Dame 0