Staking PID tip

Douglas

Ripped shamelessly from RSC.

This tip is basically for staking, rapier / mage box in particular.

Basically everytime you login from the lobby you are assigned a PID (Player ID). Having a lower PID than someone else allows your actions to take priority over theirs, say attacking first in a duel or picking up a santa hat off the ground.

Traditional method of checking PID that everyone knows is to follow the other person, when they move there will either be a delay or you will follow them instantaneously. A delay means they have a lower PID than you, following them instantaneously means you have a lower PID than them. With mass teleport lag, it's kind of pointless to spend a long time PIDing, because after 10 stakes you are going to lag out for too long on entry to the arena.

This is why the second method of checking PID is so useful. You can check PID through the staking interface. On the first screen you accept first, and once your opponent accepts one of two things will happen;

The first interface disappears completely and you can actually see ingame for a split second

The first interface is instantly replaced by the second interface

If the first happens, it means your opponent has a lower PID than you and thus first hit. If the second happens, it means you have a lower PID and thus you have first hit over them. The most important thing is accepting on the first interface, it won't work if you accept second. Will add a video of this later, but it's pretty simple to understand.

Don't lose all your geepees, fellas!

So do people just stand around trying to 1 "up" each other for the lower PID? I remember it was a bigfreakingdeal in rsc, but nowadays? Jeez.

People have been after the lower PID since 2001 when they realized that it gave you in edge in pk'ing if you knew how to catch. The circle never ends.

I have to say though, as far as logic went they seemed to scratch the PID priority with early RS2... in the old duel arena I was able to get first hit from the timing of my click most every fight, and I really doubt I got a fantastic PID every day.

That said, the nuances of how the duel arena functions is quite different now. Things have definitely changed.

Old news. Like years. Where have you all been?

Damin - DW. We'll still kick ass ;)

I just wanted to be sure that people in Gladz knew about it if they wanted to try their hand at staking and hadn't done it much before. May as well give the clannies the tip just in case

• 1 year later...

Does pid matter in clan wars?

Doesn't really make an impact on the actual fighting, unless it were literally 1 vs. 1 and it came down to a tiebreaker between the timing of the two hits (which both were on the same tick).

The bigger part it's involved in, though, is the order in which the pile is displayed. I believe it's the best (lowest number, highest priority) PID which are displayed at the top. If someone is a low level and near the top of the pile, they're likely to get piled more.

• 5 weeks later...