Intel and Micron changing computers FOREVER!

Carsomyr

Lots of ifs on this one. Won't processors and busses be somewhat screwed over by what can only be described as ridiculously fast speeds?

Still not foreseeing any real widespread general-consumer applications anytime relatively soo.

Unfortunately customizable desktop PCs are slowly being phased out. It's mostly businesses, PC enthusiasts and gamers that are keeping them around. But the average consumer is more likely to buy a smartphone, tablet, or laptop. The reason I'm bringing this up is because I saw an article awhile back about Intel planning to integrate their CPUs, GPUs, & memory directly into the motherboard so they couldn't be removed, replaced, or upgraded. I'm not sure if they still plan to do that eventually or not but this would be bad news for gamers and enthusiasts, as we like the flexibility to upgrade and customize our PCs the way we want. It honestly sounds like a step backwards in terms of performance but it would cut production costs for Intel. Let's just hope they don't actually go through with it.

As for this article, it's interesting but it sounds like something that will be very expensive at first (as all new tech is) and take awhile before it becomes affordable to the average consumer. I mean Solid State Drives aren't even standard yet and they've been around for a very long time. I'd like to see those become more affordable so that they become standard equipment in PCs and laptops. Right now the biggest performance bottleneck in most PCs is the hard drive. Memory is probably the second biggest bottleneck but it's always improving in speeds and quantity. Most laptops are still being sold with 5400RPM HDDs and most PCs are being sold with 7200RPM drives. Those two speeds have been around for decades. It's time to phase out HDDs and start making SSDs more common.

Unfortunately customizable desktop PCs are slowly being phased out. It's mostly businesses, PC enthusiasts and gamers that are keeping them around. But the average consumer is more likely to buy a smartphone, tablet, or laptop. The reason I'm bringing this up is because I saw an article awhile back about Intel planning to integrate their CPUs, GPUs, & memory directly into the motherboard so they couldn't be removed, replaced, or upgraded. I'm not sure if they still plan to do that eventually or not but this would be bad news for gamers and enthusiasts, as we like the flexibility to upgrade and customize our PCs the way we want. It honestly sounds like a step backwards in terms of performance but it would cut production costs for Intel. Let's just hope they don't actually go through with it.

As for this article, it's interesting but it sounds like something that will be very expensive at first (as all new tech is) and take awhile before it becomes affordable to the average consumer. I mean Solid State Drives aren't even standard yet and they've been around for a very long time. I'd like to see those become more affordable so that they become standard equipment in PCs and laptops. Right now the biggest performance bottleneck in most PCs is the hard drive. Memory is probably the second biggest bottleneck but it's always improving in speeds and quantity. Most laptops are still being sold with 5400RPM HDDs and most PCs are being sold with 7200RPM drives. Those two speeds have been around for decades. It's time to phase out HDDs and start making SSDs more common.

Processing units will be bottlenecked by the new technology though, as far as I can understand. Also, Intel is indeed integrating soldered CPUs into their motherboards, however I've not heard about GPUs being built into the MoBos.

Customizable PCs have always been a niche market aimed at people who actually desire performance largely over portability or convenience in a sense. The traditional PC user would invariably pick the technology that can be carried around, as a modern laptop generally performs all office tasks and some quite impressive feats with efficiency. No one expects a generic laptop to play Crysis on max details, and the people who do want that, are the relative few who are into customizable PCS.

It's pretty much a game changer in the memory space. It's funny, I was having a casual dinner conversation with a PM at Intel about this the day before the news hit. Should have bought the stock!

It's pretty much a game changer in the memory space. It's funny, I was having a casual dinner conversation with a PM at Intel about this the day before the news hit. Should have bought the stock!

Should have sparked an SEC investigation :laugh:

You'd appreciate this:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-05-14/perfect-insider-traders-got-caught

I love when people follow up on shit plans with reasonably decent plans. The shit plan is always going to sink you given a long enough timeline.

You'd appreciate this:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-05-14/perfect-insider-traders-got-caught

I love when people follow up on shit plans with reasonably decent plans. The shit plan is always going to sink you given a long enough timeline.

:lol: