Pro Sports Topic

Jake

Over the years, there were probably like 40 posts (outside of the World Cup) on the General Sports topic. At this current rate, that mark might be beaten by next week.

I'm assuming you meant to put soccer/football in that post somewhere

I agree, Drew, about Drogba getting older but if I were him - I would try to finish my career in the top flight. I wouldn't want to do a Thierry Henry, Ronaldo, Deco or even Beckham.

Obviously it's up to him and the offers Chelsea receive though.

I agree, Drew, about Drogba getting older but if I were him - I would try to finish my career in the top flight. I wouldn't want to do a Thierry Henry, Ronaldo, Deco or even Beckham.

Obviously it's up to him and the offers Chelsea receive though.

True. Ryan Giggs would be a perfect example of what I'd like to see him do, though very few get to do what he has done.

edit: this mavs game very intense, durant shot that wayyy too early

Edited by Drewski

Giggs is a machine. As is Paul Scholes. I don't think many more will stay at one club for over 20 years and still be good enough for the first team 20 years on what with the money and transfer options in football nowadays. The only players that spring to mind in that category are Maldini, Giggs, Scholes and Neville, for me. Possibly Gerrard. I'm sure there are more. The only player I can see doing it in the not-too-distant future is Xavi for Barcelona. He's been there a good 10 years or so and the way he plays, he doesn't need to be able to run at 20mph.

Do you have a favourite football/soccer team, Drew?

Ya I could see Xavi doing that, from what i've seen of Barca's offense the pace isn't crucial at all, yet he produces some amazing through balls. Hopefully Drogba will do the same, I really enjoy watching him play.

As far as a favorite team of mine, I don't really have one (yet), but I definitely favor Barclays over any other league. I mainly like watching the players such as Drogba, RVP, Arshavin, Robben, Ronaldo, and Rooney, that is when I do get to watch the games (few stations air games over here and not too many people share the interest). I'm fairly new to the football scene and I'm not really exposed to the rivalries over here in America and this is really the first season that I've paid pretty close attention to. It's quickly growing on me though, I'll probably end up buying a television package so I can catch more matches. I imagine I'll end up having a favorite team if I ever have the luxury to travel to England, depending on whom I stay with and where I stay, or maybe I'll just end up liking one as I watch more haha.

Ya I could see Xavi doing that, from what i've seen of Barca's offense the pace isn't crucial at all, yet he produces some amazing through balls. Hopefully Drogba will do the same, I really enjoy watching him play.

As far as a favorite team of mine, I don't really have one (yet), but I definitely favor Barclays over any other league. I mainly like watching the players such as Drogba, RVP, Arshavin, Robben, Ronaldo, and Rooney, that is when I do get to watch the games (few stations air games over here and not too many people share the interest). I'm fairly new to the football scene and I'm not really exposed to the rivalries over here in America and this is really the first season that I've paid pretty close attention to. It's quickly growing on me though, I'll probably end up buying a television package so I can catch more matches. I imagine I'll end up having a favorite team if I ever have the luxury to travel to England, depending on whom I stay with and where I stay, or maybe I'll just end up liking one as I watch more haha.

Ah. Just for the record - Ronaldo isn't in the Barclay's PL anymore, sadly. £80m for him from Real Madrid was too good to refuse. But I see the problem :P I'm sure there are websites that stream the games that are on Sky Sports/ESPN over here? I've used one to stream a game that was on ESPN but I use my SkyPlayer log-in for the Sky Sports matches. Obviously there won't be many games on from now until August though but there is the CL final on Saturday :P

The biggest rivalries are either because of league position/aspects, the past or because teams are close to each other geographically. Man Utd v Chelsea, Man Utd v Arsenal, Chelsea v Arsenal are probably the biggest position-wise. Man Utd v Liverpool is a rivalry that's partly because the places are close but also because of some train station or something in the early 20th century. I'm not sure exactly. And the geographic "derbies" are like Manchester Utd v Manchester City, Arsenal v Tottenham, Liverpool v Everton or Newcastle v Sunderland. What's your most local team in the MLS or lower leagues? (Idk what they're called in the US)

I don't really know how you'd go about finding a team you want to support. The only reason I support United is because my dad does so I was basically raised to. If it weren't United, I'd support Tottenham because my Grandad does. Boring really but there you go.

Ah. Just for the record - Ronaldo isn't in the Barclay's PL anymore, sadly. £80m for him from Real Madrid was too good to refuse. But I see the problem :P I'm sure there are websites that stream the games that are on Sky Sports/ESPN over here? I've used one to stream a game that was on ESPN but I use my SkyPlayer log-in for the Sky Sports matches. Obviously there won't be many games on from now until August though but there is the CL final on Saturday :P

The biggest rivalries are either because of league position/aspects, the past or because teams are close to each other geographically. Man Utd v Chelsea, Man Utd v Arsenal, Chelsea v Arsenal are probably the biggest position-wise. Man Utd v Liverpool is a rivalry that's partly because the places are close but also because of some train station or something in the early 20th century. I'm not sure exactly. And the geographic "derbies" are like Manchester Utd v Manchester City, Arsenal v Tottenham, Liverpool v Everton or Newcastle v Sunderland. What's your most local team in the MLS or lower leagues? (Idk what they're called in the US)

I don't really know how you'd go about finding a team you want to support. The only reason I support United is because my dad does so I was basically raised to. If it weren't United, I'd support Tottenham because my Grandad does. Boring really but there you go.

Oh I realize he plays for Real Madrid, I was just saying I like watching him as a player outside of the PL, along with Robben and Ribery for Bayern Munchen.

Thanks for the info on the rivalries. I suppose the closest MLS team to me would be D.C. United, though I don't really care for the MLS too much haha.

And yeah I see what you mean about having a team, I suppose I'll find some way haha. I usually end up figuring out who i'm going for as the match progresses.

Over the years, there were probably like 40 soccer posts (outside of the World Cup) on the General Sports topic. At this current rate, that mark might be beaten by next week.

yeah, soccer*

Going back to Dallas to finish this series. Dirk is a fucking monster he brought the Mavs back into the game.

That and Westbrook is one of the worst players during crunchtime. :|

Over the years, there were probably like 40 soccer posts (outside of the World Cup) on the General Sports topic. At this current rate, that mark might be beaten by next week.

yeah, soccer*

Going back to Dallas to finish this series. Dirk is a fucking monster he brought the Mavs back into the game.

That and Westbrook is one of the worst players during crunchtime. :|

Just have to stop him from driving to the basket.

It's starting to piss me off with the amount of managers that come and go. The only sackings that were justified were Ranieri, Scolari and Avram Grant. Just find it unbelievable that he would sack a manager who won the double (premier league + FA cup) in his first season. Look at all the managers that went trophyless (sp?) Ferguson, Wenger etc.... and they don't get sacked. It's just Abramovich's ego which is killing the club. Personally, I'd love to have Guus hiddink back at Chelsea, he worked wonders with us. But the chances of that happening is slim due to him wanting to stay as Turkey manager. Marco Van Basten is said to be open to talks for being the next manager and I reckon he'd be the next one.

As for the players, we need an iniesta and robben in our team, somebody who can open up play and somebody who actually has pace. Obviously we won't be able to get those two but we can get players who aren't as good as those two but can do the job. Currently we don't have any pace, we just have brute force and no flair. Our players are aging and they weren't as good as they used to be. Sadly, I have a strong suspicion that Drogba is leaving and there are strong rumours that Essien is leaving for A.C Milan. Our defence is fine (just). We just need a new midfield and to get Torres firing again. Whoever becomes manager of Chelsea needs to sort out the squad. Get rid of a few people and bring in fresh younger faces AND THEN SORT OUT FERNANDO FUCKING TORRES. I think that a long break will do him good. I reckon Torres hasn't recovered from his groin injury. A long break should do him some good with some pre-season training.

Believe it or not, I was a Man Utd supporter by force till I was about 7. I didn't know any players or who the manager was or where the hell Manchester was. All I knew was when I had a Solsjaer (idfk how to spell his name) shirt. I turned Blue when my uncle took me to a Chelsea match (Chelsea vs AC Milan in the Champions League 1998 or 1999 forgot) and I supported Chelsea since then L

Btw, Ryan Giggs, WHAT A LAD. Dan I don't know what's Fergie is going to do with Giggs now. I doubt he'd play him in the Final with all this crap going on

Edited by Luke

To be honest, I'd be surprised if Giggs starts in the CL final anyway. He's definitely good enough but I think it'd be playing into Barca's hands a bit as Giggs would mainly have to play as they do. Stay in the centre and spray it around.

I reckon he'll go with Fletcher (If he's fit), Park Ji Sung, Valencia and potentially Nani. Might even go 5 in midfield and bring Carrick or Anderson in.