Okay, Poke`peeps. You all have a reason to go outside.

Justin

The fiance got me to download it when we got back from Vermont.  We went for an hour walk around the reservoir and local park, but the server had such connectivity issues that I was only able to participate about 20% of the time.  It also is an immense battery drain... seems to do about 1% a minute.  

Anyways, I agree it would be cool if you could interact with other trainers and/or battle in some way.  I never even played a Pokemon game as a kid, but even I know that throwing a ball at a pokemon without weakening it first would never work in Pokeworld!  That said, this is clearly designed to appeal to the masses, not the gamers.  And it's working.  We saw a solid 3 dozen fellow nerds out for walks yesterday playing Pokemon Go.  Most of these people looked like they didn't otherwise spend much time outside!

It wouldn't surprise me if they did away with weakening just as much to avoid unnecessary backlash from PETA as to simplify gameplay. 

This game... I already make sure to walk the recommended 10k steps, even in the hellish Florida heat. But see below... I started Thursday morning with this game.

29elp8m.png

But worth it:

k3r5dw.png

Gyms are better when working in teams. Like, if your friends are in team Mystic, Valor, or Instinct . You all can choose to be in the same team and go gym raiding and each can leave a Pokemon to defend that gym. ( Apparently, you can't switch teams once you've made a choice, so hail Team Mystic :D ). That's the point of the game, to catch Pokemon, gather up at gyms, and battle it out with other rival players on different teams. 

If you click on a gym, you will notice that sometimes 3-5 Pokemon are there (scroll to the left) but they do not belong to just one player. (the players' names appears on the upper right hand corner)

Team up and good luck. If you live in San Diego, please join team mystic, I'll be visiting there next month lol. 

Yeah,  I realized that yesterday by running into strangers of the same team as me attempting the same gym,  but would be helpful if you could actually defeat the Pokémon in gyms. They always stay at 1hp for me.

17 hours ago, Ripply said:

This game... I already make sure to walk the recommended 10k steps, even in the hellish Florida heat. But see below... I started Thursday morning with this game.

29elp8m.png

Seriously.  My fiance hiked most of the Appalachian Trail, but NEVER has any desire to go out for walks etc.  We've gone on two long walks in the past 3 days. She's an addict.

8 hours ago, Ripply said:

Yeah,  I realized that yesterday by running into strangers of the same team as me attempting the same gym,  but would be helpful if you could actually defeat the Pokémon in gyms. They always stay at 1hp for me.

That's a glitch. After that happens, you can swipe left and right to dodge the incoming abilities for around 20 seconds and it'll give you the win. 

Also, a tip for those trying out combat/battling gyms, keep in mind that a normal tap is a normal attack, and when blue bars fill up in the top left, you can hold tap to use your secondary abilities. Also, swiping left and right on your pokemon lets you dodge shit.

I took down an entire gym myself today, left a single Snorlax to defend it. Had no idea I could dodge attacks or how to use the special.

I have walked 43 miles in the past 3 days, only 50 different Pokemon to show for it.

47 minutes ago, Justin said:

I took down an entire gym myself today, left a single Snorlax to defend it. Had no idea I could dodge attacks or how to use the special.

I have walked 43 miles in the past 3 days, only 50 different Pokemon to show for it.

Yeah, lots of people don't know about that stuff :P

Mystic for the win. 

I encountered a pretty good Snorlax on my drive around but then i got a FB message and it froze the game. Good bye sweet Snorlax.

On July 12, 2016 at 3:57 AM, Maggie said:

My boyfriend is giving discounts to blue team members, I am team valor! How rude :P
13615515_935409746568957_490849506637726

That's fantastic. 

Alas, I am on the red team! I hit level 10 on the way home from work today. My Pokemon are still relatively low level though - I suspect because much of my xp has come from poke stops since the place I work is one and I get 50 xp every 5 min for swiping! 

If you guys are interested, there is an App that you can download, it records your workouts and Corporate sponsors will donate to charities based on your results. It donates $0.25 for every mile walked/ran and $0.10 for every mile biked. I learned it existed today, and immediately downloaded it. The app is called Charity Miles.

I found this to be a funny story. 

I downloaded this game to see how it was and decided I wasn't going to be walking around searching for things. I figure I'll just be casual and look periodically if I have the time. 

Anyways. Long story short. I just got back from an 11 hour drive with a 32' long trailer loaded with 30 kayaks. A couple hours of it were in the dark and my trailer lights were totally nonfunctional and I was slightly nervous about other drivers and the fact that I couldn't see the end of my trailer. So I get back to my shop, back it in blindly, and promptly decided to smoke a joint on the back deck. I'm enjoying the night when I see a car pull towards the trailer gate. There is a place nearby that no one can ever find, so I assumed they needed help with directions. Being the friendly midwestern I am, I asked if they needed help with directions and they told me they were playing Pokemon. I asked if there was something good in the area and she said excitedly that there was a Dratini around. I had no clue what that was, but I told them I was going to race them to it and wished them a good night. I wasn't actually going to look for it, but I decided to look while I was in my truck. Turns out, Dratini was in inside my fenced in area and sitting right in front of me. Do Pokemon disappear for others in that spot when someone else takes it? I feel bad. I looked online with no conclusive evidence to know where or not this Pokemon is rare or what. I don't know what to do with it. I'm only level 3.

The park next door has 6 poke stops and a gym.. Last night we went to the park after dinner and there were no children in sight but adults everywhere. Tonight there is a whole gang of the blue team hanging out in the gazebo (it has outlets :P)

The boyfriend joined Team Instinct and made puppy dog eyes until I did too, so far we have found 1 other yellow team person and a whole bunch of Mystics and Valors who just bitch about eachother and say "at least your're not team ____"

Dratini is cute af, I want one.

Not many rares around where im at. Just the regular pidgey, weedle, ratata. Good for leveling though. 

I did hatch a Growlithe and a Pterodactyl.