Invention, The Discussion Of

Afternine

Invention: A Small Compendium

Levels 1-4 can be completed by doing a small tutorial at the Inventor's Guild; Located just north of the Falador Lodestone. 

mKHgEES.png

(Click on the picture for more information)

-----------------------------------------------

Levels 4-27 can be completed easily by creating Weapon Gizmos and adding components to them.

Uk1RT9U.png Weapon Gizmo Shell | Requires | 10 Blade Parts | 5 Crafted Parts | 2 Strong Component

vnemQob.png Mithril 2h Sword | Buy Limit = 1000 / 4 hours | Blade Parts | Base Parts

mnAS69v.png Barker Toad Pouch | Buy Limit = 5000 / 4 hours | Crafted Parts | Powerful Components

Z5yHlOf.png Magic Shieldbow | Buy Limit = 5000 / 4 hours | Strong Components | Tensile Parts | Flexible Parts

HmkjGQ0.png Energy Potion | Buy Limit = 1000 / 4 hours | Enhancing Components

-----------------------------------------------

Once level 27 you can begin disassembling gear that has been augmented and leveled up to 10

Level 60 allows items to level up to 15; siphoning an item at level 12 yields the same experience as disassembling the item at level 10.

IzXO2d9.png Augmentor | Requires | 100-2,000 Divine Energy | 45 Base Parts | 45 Tensile Parts | 45 Flexible Parts | 8 Enhancing Components | 7 Powerful Components

2H0s5CN.png Equipment Siphon | Requires | 50 Simple Parts | 5 Dextrous Components | 5 Precious Components

ro3aHLM.png Crystal Tool Siphon | Requires | 50 Clear Parts | 10 Crystal Parts | 5 Imbued Components

I have most of the foundation down for this post, I will add recommended items to augment and disassemble at lower levels, and include perks. 

Sources: Veggie | Afternine | RS Wiki | Runescape.com | All others that have replied to this post, I may compile your information into this post :)

Veggie's in-depth post regarding invention: 

Veggie's reply regarding some of the gizmos/perks you can use:

A more in-depth reply regarding perks by Veggie:

Disassembling Guide by Veggie:

Simple parts--Maple logs/ Gold bars

Enhancing parts- Slayer rings/ empty light bulbs ( lv 87 craft req)

Powerful parts- Bstaffs/ summoning pouches (terror bird/yak as their easiest to make)

Shop runs for other parts:

Varrock sword shop Buy steel->addy weapons

Alkarid scimatar shop

Warriors guild weapon shop

Burthrope 2H shop

Monsters to train on:

Muspah

Ganodermic beasts

Airuts

Abby demons w/aggro pot

GWD1 Bosses

I'll start off by saying that there are "3 types" of disassembling. There's bulk-disassembling - where you break down thousands of an item for its common/uncommon/rare components. There's breaking down a few single items for rare components. And there's rare components which are expensive and gained from armor or weapons, so you level them up to lvl 9, which gives you quadruple components upon disassembling. There's no such thing as "oh there's X item on the ground, let's disassemble it". Those items that you might find during slayer, adamant gear, battlestaffs, those are in the category of bulk-disassembling, picking up an individual item to disassemble is not worth it. They might be items worth alching, assuming they aren't already cleaned by the spring cleaner, but they absolutely aren't worth your time for single-item disassembly.

I'll also say ahead of time, if you're very poor and like to be thrifty, Invention is not a skill for you. You do make money by doing combat, so overall you profit from training the skill, but if you aren't willing to shell out tens of millions on items, seriously, this is not the skill for you. It is expensive but profitable. And at later levels, it is expensive but worth it to get high level PvM perks.

Another note, for metal items, mithril is the perfect tier. Adamant is a bit expensive and not really worth except to bypass GE limits if you're in a rush. Rune is way too expensive and if you're breaking that down you are an idiot. Steel is pretty mediocre, iron is shit, and bronze is beyond shit.

From lvl 1 to lvl 27, you can only level up items to item lvl 5, which is complete shit. So instead, you'll want to make a bunch of weapon gizmo shells and fill them with crappy uncommon components, like precise components, and crappy common components if you run out of uncommon. To make weapon gizmo shells, you need blade, crafted, and strong components. Blade come from stab/slash weapons, crafted come from potions and summoning pouches, strong come from shieldbows. Therefore, for blade parts, break down a bunch of mithril weapons - 2hs, swords, longswords, all that kind of stuff. 2hs are by far the best weapon to break down, if you can break down several thousand mithril 2hs, that would be very good. For crafted parts, we're going straight to the meat and potatoes of invention, you want to start breaking down energy potions (4) and Barker Toad pouches. For strong components, magic shieldbows, though yew or maple might be okay too.

At lvl 27 you can only augment weapon and body, so feel free to continue doing the weapon gizmo shell -> fill gizmo shell with crappy components all the way to lvl 45 where you can augment legs as well.

Now, it's all about augmentors. You need base, tensile, flexible, enhancing, and powerful components. Base parts come from mithril 2hs, tensile and flexible come from magic shieldbows, enhancing come from energy potions (4), and powerful come from Barker Toad pouches. Yes, training invention is as simple as breaking down these 4 items. People might suggest you to do slayer rings for enhancing components - don't. That's the poor man's method. The combat you're going to do for training invention gives you so much money that you far exceed the time value cutoff for buying slayer gems and crafting slayer rings to be worth it. Literally not worth it for any player to do that method.

You put the augmentors on gear. You can either disassemble cheap items or you can siphon higher level gear that you're PvMing in. Ganodermic is the go-to armor for disassembling. Wear it regardless of what style you're using. As for weapons, crystal staffs are good, crystal halberd could be ok, black salamander is very cheap. Alternatively, the sunspear from the River of Blood quest is very good, but you can only own one at a time, and have to buy one back from Paterdomus temple each time. Or, just put it on your t90 gear and siphon it. At lvl 60 invention, you can level gear past lvl 10, so you can siphon items at lvl 12. The most time-efficient level to siphon is 9, but the most cost-efficient and least effort way is at lvl 12. For disassembling, lvl 10 is the maxmimum XP. An item needs to be lvl 8 to return your gizmos, and lvl 9 to quadruple components.

Gizmos can be put on augmented gear. For training invention, the best perk is Enlightened. Put this on each item. You can get Enlightened 2 from 5 pious components, which can be acquired by disassembling a couple thousand tortured souls. You can get Enlightened 3 from 4 seren 1 pious (pious in middle, not guaranteed). Seren components are essentially only from attuned crystal equipment, so you need attuned crystal seeds and harmonic dust, and you would want to level up the gear to lvl 9 to get 4x components. As for other perks, Precise and Equilibrium are good weapon perks. You can get Precise and Equilibrium on the same gizmo from Precise components. If you get Precise 4, that's pretty good. At lvl 74 you can use 5 armadyl components to get Precise 5 guaranteed.

That's most of the basics of Invention. The spreadsheet Drake posted shows most of the combat gizmos and what components are required to get them. The person who made the spreadsheet is stupid and recommends bad perks. If you have questions regarding perks or invention in general, ask me in game.

One other thing that might be worth adding that isn't listed on spreadsheets is the best way to get armor gizmos. You can do leather cowls for slow, you can do mithril armor for medium, you can do royal dragonhide for fast. Protective components are expensive and therefore so are armor gizmos. Like, really expensive. Don't waste them.

You can use invention to make some mediocre but AFK money by disassembling maple logs for simple parts for divine charges. Do NOT disassemble gold bars, they are much less efficient. Maybe it's different on an ironman, but as a main, disassembling gold bars is very stupid. You can make more money making equipment siphons, which you also need simple parts for, but also precious (jewelery, sapphire to diamond, rings, bracelets, necklaces, amulets, enchanted or not) and dextrous (shortbows).

8 hours ago, Veggie said:

The spreadsheet Drake posted shows most of the combat gizmos and what components are required to get them. The person who made the spreadsheet is stupid and recommends bad perks. If you have questions regarding perks or invention in general, ask me in game.

I laughed so hard at this lol.

Thank you so much Veggie for all of this information. Amazing.

@Veggie HOLY FUCK SON....

@Beric Might just want to copy and paste that into its own topic and pin it somewhere. So many people as a bout invention in CC and many people give different answers confusing them even more. Might be great to just say "there is a topic in such and such subforum go read it"

@Deathcon4111   For powerful mats, best thing I've found that beats both of those is barker toads... Did like 200 other day and ended up with well over 20

Edited by Matt
3 hours ago, Matt said:

@Deathcon4111   For powerful mats, best thing I've found that beats both of those is barker toads... Did like 200 other day and ended up with well over 20

Ah, i never made them due to not bothering with swamp toads.

On another note i might add, if you get into the habbit of buying 6k broad arrow heads daily from slayer masters for fletching xp, buy and DA the insulated boots, also good for powerful comps.

The myclium (sp?) gear off the vendor in polypore dungeon is also  cheap powerful comps ( but the junk chance is incredibly high so idk )

Edited by Deathcon4111

I'm curious as to what some solid perks for slayer would be. I'm using the trophy ones for sure. But aside from that I'm using whatever seems interesting at the time. 

2 hours ago, James said:

I'm curious as to what some solid perks for slayer would be. I'm using the trophy ones for sure. But aside from that I'm using whatever seems interesting at the time. 

Dragon Slayer, Demon Slayer, Genocidal, Undead Slayer. Biting, Crackling. Can put the first 4 in two gizmos. Undead Slayer + Genocidal = 2 Undead components, can get pretty cheap from disassembling a ROTS shield. Dragon Slayer is from Dragonfire components from Dragonfire shields, takes only one component. Demon Slayer takes 2 components minimum unless you use Ancient components (disassemble third age, ~20M cheapest third age item, gives you 7 components per item).

So it could be

Biting 2 + Demon Slayer

Crackling 3 + Dragon Slayer

Genocidal + Undead Slayer

(free gizmo slot)

OR

Demon Slayer + Dragon Slayer

Genocidal + Undead Slayer

Crackling 3 + Trophy Taker's 1

Biting 3

or some other crazy shit

Precise 5 and Aftershock 3 on weapon. Caroming 3 would be an acceptable alternative (to Aftershock, for MAGE ONLY I'd say since it only works for mage/range but Chain has much higher range than Ricochet), but it's not a cheap alternative. Equilibrium 3 would be an acceptable alternative (to Aftershock), replace Biting on armor with something like Trophy Taker's 5 or Impatient 3 since Equilibrium won't work with Biting. For the purpose of Slayer, Biting is much worse than you'd expect and Equilibrium is much better than you'd expect, because of the concept of overkill loss.

Edited by Veggie

@Matt I will be doing a major edit to this post this weekend to include everything people have provided thus far (and giving credit where it is due).

Along with the edit I will be including clickable links to wiki pages and images to make the post look good.

• Beric pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Deleted User

Thanks for sharing the information guys. Helps me understanding the skill. At the moment I'm not sure what perks and gizmos exactly are, but the training with 3 augmented items soon starts =D

• 2 weeks later...