Disassembling for Profit: An Analysis

Veggie

I don't want to talk out of my ass anymore or hear people doing cringeworthy things. So here it is - these are the numbers behind making divine charges or equipment siphons by disassembling items. It is incredibly difficult to do any kind of calculation without a spreadsheet, because making the final product is a function of each of its inputs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E_OgVGRISxka6ioe-NH2uKQ5mLnPO-3ahchMmvtJ6T0/edit?usp=sharing

You can edit the cyan cells only, which is the prices. If you want to do more (edit banking times, junk chance for people with low Invention, more items), you could make a copy or ask me.

Important things to note:

Maple logs for simple parts are the best way to make divine charges. Gold bars are also good - but provide much more simple parts, therefore more divine charges per hour, for what is currently a similar profit, which can be desirable depending on prices. Yew logs are alright but strictly worse than maple logs for making divine charges, and magic logs are bad. There are some items, like Construction flatpacks or tarromin tar, which can be better profit than even maple logs, but obtaining those in bulk amounts to disassemble isn't realistic. Note: harralander tar gives variable components, and you can profit from the simple parts. Incandescent energies are so frequently the best way to make divine charges so I didn't even give the other energies as an option.

When making equipment siphons, it is slightly better to get your simple parts from gold bars in order to get them quicker, but you do end up making about half an extra siphon per hour that way (so you're selling more). For dextrous components, yew shortbow (strung; unstrung give 4 components instead of 12) is the best. Magic shortbow and maple shortbow come close. Orange salamander would be good if you could acquire them in bulk for their listed GE price, but that isn't the case. For precious components, Ring of slaying is the best option, however since you can only get 300 Enchanted gems per day, you can only make 300 Rings of slaying, for 43.47 precious components, means that you can only make 8.694 siphons, which will take you about 36 minutes (note: it takes 36 minutes to make the actual siphons this way, buying the gems and crafting them is a fraction of that). Other than that, gold jewelry (not unstrung amulet, only 2 components; not strung amulet, does not buy in the GE) is good, gold necklaces slightly being the best, though I imagine the prices are relatively fragile. Jewelry with low tier gems, such as a sapphire ring, become competitive if siphons reach a high price, or could be used if you can't buy regular gold jewelry. Cut sapphires aren't good, but it is worth noting that they give faceted components, so you can acquire faceted components without losing money. Furthermore, jewelry gives you enhancing components, which are required for augmentors, 

The quickest method that I know of to obtain Rings of slaying is to purchase Enchanted gems from Morvran by teleporting to him with a Ferocious ring (equipped to save inventory space). Banking is interesting, because if you have the Ferocious ring equipped, you can't use many of the bank-access teleports (Tokkul-zo, Ring of Respawn, Ring of Duelling). If you have a Max cape or Completionist cape, this is very simple, just teleport to the max guild. If you aren't maxed, you could use a wicked hood to access a bank deposit box (you only need to deposit the Enchanted gems), however you'll need 1 or 2 (depending if you want to do the last run that isn't a full inventory) more Ferocious rings. You could have these in your inventory and not deposit them, or you could use the new Memory trands in your currency pouch to access a bank. Craft the rings at a portable forge (forge gives no benefit, just closest furnace to a bank).

Another thing to note is that disassembling for equipment siphons is, at least currently, much better for profit than making divine charges. However, the items to disassemble are harder to buy, and equipment siphons are harder to sell than divine charges. Equipment siphons should always sell for at least close to the GE value, but in particular, shortbows and jewelry have the potential to be difficult to purchase. Be more conscious if you're making equipment siphons instead of divine charges.

21 minutes ago, Veggie said:
  •  For precious components, Ring of slaying is the best option, however since you can only get 300 Enchanted gems per day, you can only make 300 Rings of slaying.

• Cut sapphires aren't good, but it is worth noting that they give faceted components, so you can acquire faceted components without losing money. Furthermore, jewelry gives you enhancing components, which are required for augmentors, 

• The quickest method that I know of to obtain Rings of slaying is to purchase Enchanted gems from Morvran by teleporting to him with a Ferocious ring. (equipped to save inventory space).

This is based off being an ironman, my own methods, not saying they're any better but just figured id put my knowledge out there.

• You can get 600 if you also use Taverly master ( assuming you might've known this as its the same with broads ) If you're willing to do the extra bit of running. Coming from an ironman, its whatever, i don't mind it since its cheap parts.

• Also to note, im not aware of prices just the availability of materials. if you keep molten glass drops you can make  lightbulbs which have an extremely low junk chance of 0.6% while giving facted/enhancing pretty commonly i'd say usually 1-2 every 2-3 inventories worth DA'd.

Another method (though using said slayer rings) is using the teleport on them to summona which ports you basically next to her in the house, and just equip a tokkul zo to bank while using a yak to store the slayer gems.

My thinking here is you get what 4/5 ports on fero rings vs the 8 on slaying, less rings used overall but i suppose it depends on what you have more of.

@Afternine  Look what you've done :trollface:

2 hours ago, AmusedDragon said:

1.5mil an hour?

That isn't 1.7mil an hour.

That's just bad cash.

I'd better never see you disassembling maples again. 

Useful information, if only just to find out the most cost effective items to gather are for these components. Happy I've been stockpiling all the maples from Kingdom to say the least, haha.

Thanks Veggie!

• 4 weeks later...

Went to check the profit for siphons again and saw charges were 1.7mil/hr.

It's perfect.

(Do siphons)

3 hours ago, AmusedDragon said:

Went to check the profit for siphons again and saw charges were 1.7mil/hr.

It's perfect.

(Do siphons)

that's pretty good

Since I posted this, a lot has changed. Gold jewelry is significantly harder to buy, so I've had to buy sapphire or even emerald jewelry. Amulet is better than bracelet is better than necklace is better than ring, and enchanted is the same as unenchanted (except emerald amulet/amulet of defense, because amulet of defense is an Invention anomaly). Except, once I added them, I started deleting things that were particularly bad. Which eliminated all of the higher tier jewelry. Then I manually price checked all of the items, and deleted the items that were particularly when their actual price (not just what GE displays) was plugged in. This eliminated Precious components down to Gold Ring, Sapphire Ring, and Ring of Recoil. Because Sapphire Ring and Ring of Recoil are identical for the purpose of disassembly, there's no need for separate lines - just plug in/buy whichever one is cheaper. So rather than adding a bunch of things to the spreadsheet, I ended up deleting a lot. However, I did add Maple Shortbows and Magic Shortbows in addition to Yew Shortbows, and separated Rings of Slaying from the other sources of Precious components.

I updated all of the prices. Anyone is free to plug in prices to the cyan cells, but the prices were particularly out of date. At this point in time, divine charges are not good money (1.2M/hr), and equipment siphons are much worse than they used to be (1.5-2M/hr). Maple logs are still the best for divine charges. For equipment siphons, gold bars, yew shortbows, and whatever you're able to do for Precious components. Gold jewelry is good if it's around 500gp or lower, Sapphire jewelry is good if it's around 1500gp or less. Emerald, ruby, diamond, and dragonstone jewelry are not viable.

This might get better in the future, but for now, disassembly has kind of reached that point where it's no longer better than other methods for making money, just comparable.

So are you going to move to a more active afk money method or stay with the disassembling?

3 hours ago, AmusedDragon said:

So are you going to move to a more active afk money method or stay with the disassembling?

Gonna liquidate my simple, precious, dextrous, and junk (bank standers), then maybe do divination and/or research new moneymaking methods.