2017 Solar Eclipse D?i?s?a?p?p?o?i?n?t?m?e?n?t? Thread

Cam L

Coming from someone who lives very close to the "prime viewing path" and had perfect weather: that was entirely underwhelming. 

I have a slight solar eclipse happening right now where I live (Ontario) and it is at its peak times. 

I'm also a little disappointed, because I thought it'd be a lot more darker than what it is right now.

We also have a clear sky. :P 

48 minutes ago, Cam L said:

Coming from someone who lives very close to the "prime viewing path" and had perfect weather: that was entirely underwhelming. 

at least you didn't drive several hours for it :reporter:

you couldn't see the sun through the clouds at my place, could barely pick it up switching to an infrared view lol

It was very cool. Enjoyed my almost perfect coverage(90%) and watched some totalityness on TV.

25 minutes ago, Overvoltage said:

you couldn't see the sun through the clouds at my place, could barely pick it up switching to an infrared view lol

The clouds cleared out at exactly the right time for this, and now we're overcast again. Only about 70% totality here, though. Regretting not traveling for a better view, since the kids ended up being super into it. 

14 minutes ago, Beric said:

Regretting not traveling for a better view, since the kids ended up being super into it. 

Next one in 7 years, and I think that one passes over New York.

KVBrmeL.png

39 minutes ago, AmusedDragon said:

Next one in 7 years, and I think that one passes over New York.

KVBrmeL.png

Rip, still a few hours to drive and see it, though i suppose itll be better than this one

Ah, it was like 92% or something here, completely clear skies. It got dim, never "dark" though, kind of a cool experience, it's like if the sun were a lot less powerful - how it might be regularly on Mars or some other planet out there.

It was 83% covered in Morgantown, WV. Didn't get to see much because clouds blocked it out during the peak the eclipse. The NASA live stream was fun to watch though.

For me, I watched it go from coast-to-coast on tv. I went outside a couple of times, but all I saw was clouds, though I did notice a nice temperature drop. Otherwise, the other highlight of my day was seeing a wall cloud just outside of town, which, thankfully amounted to nothing more than that.

I was in the path of totality. It basically went dusk, the street lights turned on, the birds stopped singing, and the temperature got cooler. I envisioned it getting darker, but it makes sense that it didn't.

I was fortunate enough to reside in the 92%-zone, although I would have liked to experience the eclipse in totality. (As such, I'm very much looking forward to 2024! :))

26 minutes ago, Damin said:

went outside, found out the glasses made you blind.. saw an orange sliver went back inside.

Same.