Swimming

James

Does anyone here swim for exercise? I was advised to start swimming for laps a couple times a week to help with some back rehab while I clear up some nagging issues before I dive (get it? Dive? Get it?!) Into competing in strongman events next year. Sitting at 230 pounds while being relatively lean, I find that I sink like a rock and have to work damn hard. I can swim about 100 yards before I have to rest for 30-60 seconds. So luckily it's not too much of aconditioning issue. I have a hard time coordinating my breathing and all that while moving my large frame through the water. And kick a lot. Lol. 

Anyone have any pointers? If you don't do swimming; are there any physical activities you enjoy doing?

I used to swim now and then. When you're having issues with breathing, ask someone for some techniques on how to stabilize. It's not too hard. Swimming is an overall good exercise =D
- Nowadays I run once or twice a week for about 10 miles plus I weightlift 4 times a week. For me to stay leanish, with 1.92 meters and 220 pounds, and not too bulky some stretching and rolling on a hard, pilar shaped thing works fine...

21 minutes ago, Minikillers said:

I used to swim now and then. When you're having issues with breathing, ask someone for some techniques on how to stabilize. It's not too hard. Swimming is an overall good exercise =D
- Nowadays I run once or twice a week for about 10 miles plus I weightlift 4 times a week. For me to stay leanish, with 1.92 meters and 220 pounds, and not too bulky some stretching and rolling on a hard, pilar shaped thing works fine...

Not really an option as the only people in my small community I can find to teach only teach children how to not drown. 

I breath to my right side every time I do a right arm stroke. My face re-enters the water when my right arm is about to. (So my rhythm is basically Right+breath-left-Right+breath-left etc) I know some people can do 10+ strokes before taking a breath but its really just preference and its what works for me. Although, if you're racing, its best to take as little breaths as possible. As for kicking, keep your legs straight. I not saying you can't bend your knees, it'd be impossible to swim efficiently without bending them, but a lot of people tend to bend their knees 'too much'.

4 minutes ago, Asada said:

I breath to my right side every time I do a right arm stroke. My face re-enters the water when my right arm is about to. (So my rhythm is basically Right+breath-left-Right+breath-left etc) I know some people can do 10+ strokes before taking a breath but its really just preference and its what works for me. Although, if you're racing, its best to take as little breaths as possible. As for kicking, keep your legs straight. I not saying you can't bend your knees, it'd be impossible to swim efficiently without bending them, but a lot of people tend to bend their knees 'too much'.

I think I may be one of those people who can go longer. I'll play around with that. Thanks! 

@James  Hey buddy! <3 

I dont have any pointers or anything relevant to this topic... but i just wanted to say hey and that i hope you're doing well!  

I thought of you the other day when Tim bumped a topic from several years ago and then i remembered that i got Warning from you for doing that... <3  (dont worry i forgive you! ) 

55 minutes ago, Lastresrt01 said:

@James  Hey buddy! <3 

I dont have any pointers or anything relevant to this topic... but i just wanted to say hey and that i hope you're doing well!  

I thought of you the other day when Tim bumped a topic from several years ago and then i remembered that i got Warning from you for doing that... <3  (dont worry i forgive you! ) 

Warned for discussing your warn log. :trollface:

I have Tim on Facebook. I'm incredibly proud of the man he's grown into. I never thought I'd say that. Lol

I'm good. Always working my ass off, but good. Just got back from my vacation. Went to Vegas for a few days then went to visit my parents in St. George. How've you been?

29 minutes ago, James said:

Warned for discussing your warn log. :trollface:

I have Tim on Facebook. I'm incredibly proud of the man he's grown into. I never thought I'd say that. Lol

I'm good. Always working my ass off, but good. Just got back from my vacation. Went to Vegas for a few days then went to visit my parents in St. George. How've you been?

No way wtf I was in Vegas last weekend

21 hours ago, Deathstar said:

yea i got some watch this for beginners - 

then this for the advanced course - 

I tried this. Instructions weren't clear enough and my best friend ended up dying to Ivan Drago in the ring. I'm going to end up training his son out of guilt. 

12 hours ago, Rafi said:

The muscle man is finally going to building some endurance!

Strongman is about feats of strength over time. Being able to carry 300 pounds in each hand and walk 100-300 yards. That sort of shit. Swimming will be a big help. 

Alternatively, powerlifting has a saying: 

"More than three reps? That's cardio. "

Swimming is great. I do a few laps every two days with a few friends. The most important skill to swim well is probably breathing. It is a little counter-intuitive, but holding your breath is less important than breathing at regular intervals. It took me forever to breath properly because I never paid too much attention to form until more recently. I recommend finding someone at your gym who's a good swimmer to help you practice it.

Edited by Erador
13 hours ago, Erador said:

Swimming is great. I do a few laps every two days with a few friends. The most important skill to swim well is probably breathing. It is a little counter-intuitive, but holding your breath is less important than breathing at regular intervals. It took me forever to breath properly because I never paid too much attention to form until more recently. I recommend finding someone at your gym who's a good swimmer to help you practice it.

At a rather lean 230 pounds, I'm the smallest person in my gym. And have the best conditioning. That's normally solid advice, but I go to a gym specifically made for powerlifters and strongman athletes. I'm likely already the best swimmer. :lol: 

Also; I've improved to the point where I can swim 700 yards before I'm too fatigued to continue with good form. I still struggle with getting my breath right and that's getting in the way, and I still try and brute force my way through the water. It doesn't work, but hey. I still try and rip that water in half. 

8 hours ago, James said:

Also; I've improved to the point where I can swim 700 yards before I'm too fatigued to continue with good form. I still struggle with getting my breath right and that's getting in the way, and I still try and brute force my way through the water. It doesn't work, but hey. I still try and rip that water in half. 

That's really good. If you can get the breathing down, I'm sure you could easily extend your distance by 50-100%. I usually follow a counting scheme-- deep breath, count to 2, exhale, 1 sec, deep breath, etc. It takes some work to match it to your stroke, but you should notice the effect almost immediately by being far less tired.