Telos P5 Help

A Quest Cape

As the title states, I've hit a roadblock on p5 for Telos. P1-4 I can do easily with very little food, but once i get to p5 i just get absolutely destroyed due to not doing enough damage and being forced to tank multiple instakills (ty pantheon for delaying my death). I breezed through the 200 enrages easily but once i hit 300 I started having trouble and Im currently at enrage 338%. I've watched multiple guides already, most notably Evil Lucario's, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice or knew of any good guides I could watch that i may have missed. Yes I use revolution, thats not something i'm looking to change atm but maybe i will in the distant future, and I know plenty of people have gotten Warden using it. Of course I still manually select basic abilities when they are most strategic to use, i just like revolution as a failsafe of sorts.

SETUP:

R8XUopR.jpg?1

Note: I dont boss with hellion aura, thats because i just died to Telos and wanted that sweet free death reclaim. I've used both Supreme Runic Accuracy and Maniacal, but i've been using the latter more lately.

Right off the bat, I dont have Achto. That could be something i look into getting, especially once pantheon leaves as I wont be able to just suicide on the instakill anymore, so i'll need that defensive reset if i dont get my deeps in order. I could upgrade to tectonic but i'm not sure if thats worth. Wand has Planted Feet. I usually fill the mammoth with: 6 rocktails, 6 sara brews, 6 rocktails, 6 sara brews, and rest rocktails. Honestly, i think i might be bringing a little too many brews, perhaps way too many, so i might try to lower them a bit next time.

Rotation:

So what I do at the moment is start with a devotion before I target anything to not spend any adrenaline. I then use a dreadnip and run to green beam. Planted feet switch into sunshine, back to SOS and I corruption blast -> Tsunami golems. Chain/Dbreath if any extra live. Use wild magic, asphyxiate on Telos. Barricade and clear bleed and go back to green beam. Wait for a rock to fall, onslaught until i need to move or use immortality. Repeat. I've also tried the Natural Instinct -> Revenge - > Sunshine - > Wild Magic -> Asphyxiate -> barricade rock meta (as you can see on my top ability bar, in a nice and easy to follow order for me), but with not much more success. 

So if there are any glaring flaws that anyone sees or any suggestions it would be much appreciated. Maybe I just need to keep practicing until I get better, but once i hit 300% enrage my progress has been going by super slowly and I know we have some pros in this clan so any help would be much appreciated :D

Around the 300-350% mark the minions get more than 10k/12k HP so they can't be killed in one ability. You can use Detonate on them in addition to Tsunami to deal like 15-24k damage. That's what people typically could do. If you were on ancient magicks and familiar with auto attacking you could use 2h autos on the minions to deal a lot of damage.

You don't have to run back to the green beam, it's kinda a waste of time, the beam will switch shortly after you clear bleed anyways (unless you're way different from me in terms of how long Telos is stunned), just get to the green beam once they've switched.

I hope your dreadnip at the start doesn't disappear, I dreadnip as I get to the green beam at the start, and when I get to the green beam after the beams switch.

DPS shouldn't be an issue unless the reason for low DPS is minions being alive a long time.

People like Evil Lucario or Couchy may tell you to get some cheeky damage in on Telos while killing minions. Seriously, if you're good at dealing damage, if the minions are dead, DPS is not an issue. You don't have to bother trying to squeeze in damage while killing minions. If the minions die nicely, there's no way it should ever take you 2 instakills to kill Telos - like, if the minions are dead before bleed and you aren't able to deal 100k+ damage on Telos before instakill, the problem isn't Telos, it's general DPS.

Imo the only difference between a 300% kill and 500% are:

1) You can't just eat a SMP after second font in P4 (unless you're using spirit shield/fortitude)

2) How good you are at magic AoE's (and do you understand Tsunami's range)

Detonate is an important ability, but it can be a bit tricky. I would recommend practicing for a while at combat dummies until you have some of these combinations down so you don't fizzle your deto when it counts:

• The basic: Charge detonate, hit (in the same tic, in this exact order) keybind for autocast spell + detonate + ability. If you're in the green beam this ability is often Tsunami, but at combat dummies you won't have the adrenaline. If you're not using ancients the autocast spell isn't as relevant, but it's free to sneak in there with practice.
  • From wand+shield, reflect, charge deto, then in the same tic, staff+release deto+ability. For anyone else reading this, you'll need your weapons keybound for this to work, I know not everyone does this yet. If you set the dummy to max hit you'll see if you're getting the staff damage or the wand damage. You want the staff damage. This is useful for P4 fonts and if you're not using revenge in P5.

Tectonic might be worthwhile if you're struggling, since it gives like 10% extra defense and lasts a while. Your food can be upgraded to rocktail soup + super sara brews as well. If you're going to be using revenge at all a better wand with proper perks is probably in order. You can also ditch the LotD from your inventory; once your aura is up just right click leave at the hole, bank for lotd and equip it to loot at the font and it will apply for all your kills from that hour. I also usually bring 2 attuned portent of restoration or attuned degradation in my familiar and withdraw them during P5. It helps not get combo'd out by minions.

For debuffs do you just spam them + click a ton at the beginning of a phase? Or are you just sneaking them in when you sun/after stuns? How long are each of your phases typically?

You had mentioned tanking multiple instakills, are you having trouble luring minions after the first instakill? Are you familiar with how to font minions if telos has too much HP after the first instakill?

Edited by Overvoltage

I'm by no means an expert, but it looks to me like you bring an assload of brews. I bring 7; 4 in my inventory plus 3 in my familiar. Since actually learning how to do P5, running out of food has only been an issue when something absolutely disastrous happens, like trying to talk to my dad on the phone in the middle of a kill. 

1 hour ago, Cam L said:

I'm by no means an expert, but it looks to me like you bring an assload of brews. I bring 7; 4 in my inventory plus 3 in my familiar.

Can confirm, I bring 6 sub 500 and 8 post 500 (in the extra two slots when I switch to mammoth)

Edited by Overvoltage

Yeah, i'll try bringing fewer brews next time. I'm just scared of that adrenaline loss, which I guess doesn't even really matter that much if your standing in green beam anyway, or worse, dead. :/

11 hours ago, Overvoltage said:

For debuffs do you just spam them + click a ton at the beginning of a phase? Or are you just sneaking them in when you sun/after stuns? How long are each of your phases typically?

You had mentioned tanking multiple instakills, are you having trouble luring minions after the first instakill? Are you familiar with how to font minions if telos has too much HP after the first instakill?

The very first thing I do at the start of a phase is vuln + guthix staff. I reapply as needed throughout the phase. Um, I usually finish p4 at around the 6 minute mark or so. p2 is probably my longest. Not the best in terms of time, but I dont really take that much damage so i'm almost always fully supplied for p5. And I guess i'm spending too much time on minions and not Telos. I know everyone does the Tsunami/Detonate combo, but i've never really seen anyone actually explain how to do it, just telling you to do it lol. You did this above so I appreciate that and i'll be sure to practice it. And its going to sound really stupid, but I legitimately forgot the fonts were a thing on P5 L0L. Up to this point I was so used  to not needing them that I just completely ignored them and killed minions in the beam. So yeah, I should really look into doing that I suppose, if need be, after the first instakill. Thanks for reminding me about that feature:P

Edited by A Quest Cape

I started a streak from 0 enrage to try and get a hang of the core mechanics again. Currently at 263 enrage but it's going smooth enough. Ill post an update when I get back to my highest enrage

6 hours ago, A Quest Cape said:

I started a streak from 0 enrage to try and get a hang of the core mechanics again. Currently at 263 enrage but it's going smooth enough. Ill post an update when I get back to my highest enrage

Is starting from 0 actually worth it considering the mechanics change? I've been mildly considering getting back into telos and just starting at 100% right off the bat.

58 minutes ago, AmusedDragon said:

Is starting from 0 actually worth it considering the mechanics change? I've been mildly considering getting back into telos and just starting at 100% right off the bat.

I mean probably not, but I don't mind. Its 1/3 rax atm so I have some free time to boss, and it doesn't take super long to do the first 100% since kills are so quick. Honestly I haven't really looked at the math to see if its worth it to even streak from 0% in regards to drop rates. I know the math is out there already, but ill focus on streaking once I get Warden.

My p5 kills have seemed to gotten much smoother to this point though. I'm better at luring minions for that Tsunami/Detonate wombo combo, and I've started to use the font after the first instakill if needed,  which surprise surprise, helps quite a bit :P

Edited by A Quest Cape
1 hour ago, AmusedDragon said:

I've heard all sorts of stuff about this, and I still don't know what's "best." Obviously the very best thing to do for money is 800 to 999 (unless this has changed recently), but for those of us who are incapable of or have no interest in doing that, I've heard that whether you start at 0 or 100 is just personal preference. I've heard that streak affects your unique chances more than enrage, so starting at 0 is better, but I don't know whether that's accurate or not. Personally, I like starting from 0. It takes an hour or less to get up to 100. 

2 hours ago, AmusedDragon said:

30 minutes ago, Cam L said:

I've heard all sorts of stuff about this, and I still don't know what's "best." Obviously the very best thing to do for money is 800 to 999 (unless this has changed recently), but for those of us who are incapable of or have no interest in doing that, I've heard that whether you start at 0 or 100 is just personal preference. I've heard that streak affects your unique chances more than enrage, so starting at 0 is better, but I don't know whether that's accurate or not. Personally, I like starting from 0. It takes an hour or less to get up to 100. 

Depends how high you're going. If you're dieing at 350 you're wasteing a bunch of time doing 0-100 imo, the extra 8 on your streak counter isn't going to offset that 30% of your time was spent doing sub 100

If you're hitting 600+ it's definitely worth it.

With the drop rate formula we're working with now, it says streaking from 0-500 (over lets say 40 kills) has the same* unique drop chance as killing the boss 40 times at 500% enrage 0KS and claiming

As for getting back into telos, I would recommend doing one streak to get the pattern and timings right, then pushing from there. You learn a lot more from pushing than streaking.

Edited by Overvoltage

Little update: My streak ended at 300% because my character decided to be unresponsive and not move or anything. Idk why but this has been happening a lot to me lately :/

However, I just did a kill at 359% enrage easily (21% higher enrage than when I made this post). Had 20 or so rocktails left which is competitively good in regards to what I was doing. There's hope for me yet! My p5 this kill was so smooth :aww:

18 hours ago, A Quest Cape said:

Little update: My streak ended at 300% because my character decided to be unresponsive and not move or anything. Idk why but this has been happening a lot to me lately :/

Lagging? Does it happen during other stuff that isn't telos?

18 hours ago, A Quest Cape said:

However, I just did a kill at 359% enrage easily (21% higher enrage than when I made this post). Had 20 or so rocktails left which is competitively good in regards to what I was doing. There's hope for me yet! My p5 this kill was so smooth :aww:

Nice job. Getting close to being a Warden.

Random note: going on longer, higher enrage streaks without getting any uniques has its benefits. I used to really struggle with P5 once tsunami would no longer one shot golems, but over the last couple nights I've been finishing most of my P5s from 300% to 500% without Telos even getting an instakill off.

1 hour ago, Cam L said:

Random note: going on longer, higher enrage streaks without getting any uniques has its benefits. I used to really struggle with P5 once tsunami would no longer one shot golems, but over the last couple nights I've been finishing most of my P5s from 300% to 500% without Telos even getting an instakill off.

The power of practice, dang.

Just did 2 kills on mani and didn't even use my sign (proud of myself for that cx). Just did 375 enrage now. 125 more! :lol:

cmr4UPB.jpg?1

Next stop: Warden

Thanks for the tips guys. p5 has been much kinder to me now and I actually have some faith I can get to that 500% kill.