Ready Player One [Movie]

Rafi

Have you seen it yet?

As a movie, I thought it was super fun.  As an adaptation of the book, the plot had virtually nothing in common.  They essentially took the main plot point (rich VR game designer plants easter egg and first to find it inherits his fortune) and then changed literally everything else other than the main characters' names.  

That said, I'd still recommend it as a movie, though if you've read the book (which you absolutely should - it's absurdly fun) you will likely enjoy it less than those who have not read it.  

Your reactions?

Got ripped and saw it yesterday, was p good. I read the book right when it came out like 7 years ago so I didnt really notice that the movie was different that the book other than I do remember something about a pac man death screen that didn't happen. 

im not a fan of going to the movies so im waiting for it to come on my torrent site, so i can watch it at home :) looks really good though.

12 hours ago, mother 500ml said:

im not a fan of going to the movies so im waiting for it to come on my torrent site, so i can watch it at home :) looks really good though.

Get MoviePass and see unlimited 2d movies for $10/mo! If life wasn't so damned busy I'd be there every week, but as it is with Boston prices it's cheaper than a single movie ticket. 

9 minutes ago, Rafi said:

Get MoviePass and see unlimited 2d movies for $10/mo! If life wasn't so damned busy I'd be there every week, but as it is with Boston prices it's cheaper than a single movie ticket. 

Yeah the fiance got me a movie pass for my birthday and I tend to find myself going to the 1pm shows during the week. It's p good dog. 

34 minutes ago, Lisset said:

Been trying to find new movies/shows to watch... i’ll check this one out. Also thanks for the movie pass tip, amazing deal.

Aye.  Just gotta check to make sure that at least one theater around you takes it.  It combos amazingly with the rewards programs to get free popcorn and stuff as you still get full credit for seeing movies. 

5 hours ago, Rafi said:

that would be a good idea mate, but we dont have movie pass, our movies are about $12 each, plus i can watch the movies from bed :D

The movie was good if you ignore the differences from the book. I can understand most of the differences for a movie - an exciting car race is more entertaining on the big screen than an old arcade game. I just wish they touched on a bit more, but it's understandable that things had to be cut out.

2 hours ago, Deathcon said:

I heard there was alot of runescape references, i havent seen it though.

I didn't see any, but I wasn't really looking. There's a giant battle scene that probably has a few RS bosses in it. I'll have to pay more attention when I see it again. 

17 minutes ago, John Kleppe said:

I didn't see any, but I wasn't really looking. There's a giant battle scene that probably has a few RS bosses in it. I'll have to pay more attention when I see it again. 

I heard some dude has a weapon (idk if 2h) but he does the ags spec animation (upward twirl)

There are so many references, some not as in your face as others. Saw some obvious Overwatch and Transformers ones. I heard there was a Chocobo but I didn't see it.

On 4/6/2018 at 11:26 AM, Deathcon said:

I heard there was alot of runescape references, i havent seen it though.

There was a lot of shit going on in the background everywhere, you'd basically need to pause it and take a magnifying glass to some of the actiony bits. Didn't see anything RS related in particular. There was a 'Level 99 Magic Weapon' in the story that played somewhat of a large role but I don't know if 99 is a big deal in other games like WoW/whatever.

On 4/6/2018 at 11:20 AM, Ripply said:

The movie was good if you ignore the differences from the book. I can understand most of the differences for a movie - an exciting car race is more entertaining on the big screen than an old arcade game. I just wish they touched on a bit more, but it's understandable that things had to be cut out.

I haven't read the book, but I think too many people put way too much stock into a 2-3 hour movie adaptation following whatever book it's based on exactly. It's just not possible unless the book it's based on is bare bones and very short. Though, I'd probably feel the same if it was a book I really liked, lol.

---

The movie was pretty terrible in execution. It had an interesting plot, a great concept, and fun visuals, but:

Spoiler

The forced love story between 2 characters who knew each other for about 10 minutes of screentime was bad. The innumerable plot convinces that occurred to make the story work were just ridiculous. (Like literally every single one of the MC's friends being withing driving distance of where he lives/living right next to where he is).

Also I could not take the fact that apparently most of the people who use the Oasis aren't strapped into omni-directional treadmills with suits that let them feel stuff or that the visor they all use isn't somehow interfacing with their brain in order to let them feel pain/pleasure. If you need a suit to experience most of what is happening then I don't think the world they are trying to sell us is as immersive as they let on.

When they had that scene with all the people 'fighting' outside in the streets while fighting in the game I was just wondering the entire time how there aren't like 1000s of deaths a day with people walking into traffic/slamming their heads into random shit in their homes.

This movie was just bad PR for VR, lol.

All in all, I'd say watch it if you want to watch some cheesy sci-fi thing with references.

I went in with the mentality of watching a fun, nerdy movie and in that aspect it was great! There are obvious plot holes and the whole story is pretty played out but anyone that grew up gaming (in whatever era) will find it entertaining as long as you don't take it too seriously.