Jagex Closing Runescape Classic

Rafi

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/runescape-classic-farewell-1?jptg=ia&jptv=community_news#_ga=2.251495302.1486558465.1527123835-1682940330.1445578175

Nostalgia for my middle school years, and the journey that started this all makes me sad.  Not that I actually play it of course, but I'll miss logging in every few months for the reminder of the beautiful simplicity this game started with.  I game I was actually good at.  :2handed_rune:

I did log in today and ran into a few players.  Turns out there's still a small but active community of a few hundred people.  There's not enough people for pk'ing to be a thing anymore, so players host dm tournaments every now and then.  That didn't stop me from attacking someone at rune rocks with my steel dagger though!

Anyways, if you still have access, now's the time to look in for a shot of Nostalgia, before it's gone for good.

I always hated that version of RS, but it's still a little sad to see it finally go. :/

4 minutes ago, Rafi said:

Turns out there's still a small but active community of a few hundred people.

A few hundred active players sounds impossibly inflated. 

Overvoltage

I like that they attempted to blame botting at first (and then moved on to, you know, the game is broken and they can't fix it anymore) though atm I think the only broken thing is the crystal chest always being open?

Anyways, it's just the normal cash cow model progression, we got MTX, then more MTX when they had record profits, then membership price increased (twice, bonds and cash), now we're losing membership features, next up they'll probably close 40-50 worlds and discontinue support for their 3 foreign language servers (not having to translate every quest/ingame content and newspost is reasonable imo)...

Just amused they started it off with the "it's your fault, community!" (also who tf bots rsc lol)

i looked up a few videos of classic when i read this.. relived the glory days of 3hit pk'ing on pures.. 10hp range \ mage pures... This is where it all started. Kinda feels bad, but understandable considering why they're doing it. Plus i didnt even know it was still a thing, i assumed OSRS was the ' farthest back ' they still ran.

28 minutes ago, Shepherdc88 said:

i looked up a few videos of classic when i read this.. relived the glory days of 3hit pk'ing on pures.. 10hp range \ mage pures... This is where it all started. Kinda feels bad, but understandable considering why they're doing it. Plus i didnt even know it was still a thing, i assumed OSRS was the ' farthest back ' they still ran.

They haven't let inactive / new accounts on classic in years (this was how they eliminated most of the straight up bots) so most folks don't have access to the game. I'm sure plenty of people who still macro though. 

The article from the link states:

"It has been amazing to see such dedication amongst those of you who have kept playing RuneScape Classic over the last few years, some of you have even managed to reach max total! However, it's not all fun and games."

Followed by...

"The RuneScape Classic servers will be taken offline on the 6th of August 2018. After such date, it will no longer be possible to log in to the game. You will still be able to make full use out of any outstanding membership time you have up until that date, and any remaining membership will remain valid for both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape."

Hopefully, with membership carrying over, these effected players will be able to have their character stats transferred as well (can't see any indication in the article which suggests this; anyone?). It would really suck to have expended all that energy and then start back from square 1. Then again, I suppose if you enjoy playing this game things like this shouldn't matter.  You'd just be happy playing the game.  In any case, I hope these players are able to integrate back into the main game.

Edited by thegreatwha
grammatical corrections
Overvoltage
2 hours ago, thegreatwha said:

Hopefully [...] these effected players will be able to have their character stats transferred as well

They were given that option back in 2004, doubt they'd be given the option again.

I'd be honestly surprised if anyone played classic exclusively and didn't already have an osrs/rs3 account

1 hour ago, Overvoltage said:

They were given that option back in 2004, doubt they'd be given the option again.

This included myself back then. There doesn't seem to be any indication of any option, that's for sure.  And just as @Dan G, there's banks.

1 hour ago, Dan G said:

Aw I've got a decent bank on there...?

:(  That sucks.

Whelp my last level gained for RSC... RIP

Barely made it, RSC was a good time. pure pking at varrock, edge, and dark castle was always a blast

RSC.png

12 hours ago, Mkm2384 said:

Whelp my last level gained for RSC... RIP

Barely made it, RSC was a good time. pure pking at varrock, edge, and dark castle was always a blast

RSC.png

Get 60 def. it's real good in classic. 76 attack was also a power level, but there may have been one in the 60s too. 

Though I never really played Classic servers after they came back because, well, most of the fun of the game is playing with other people, I'm still sad to hear this. RS got prettier, more complicated, and easier but I'm not convinced it ever really got better than it was when everyone played RS classic. At least that's what my nostalgia is telling me.

1 hour ago, Seike said:

Though I never really played Classic servers after they came back because, well, most of the fun of the game is playing with other people, I'm still sad to hear this. RS got prettier, more complicated, and easier but I'm not convinced it ever really got better than it was when everyone played RS classic??. At least that's what my nostalgia is telling me.

This is so true.  I enjoy this game so much more with other people. Perhaps that's just my personality (some folks aren't people folk, right?). Even back then in 2001 I joined just because my buddy was playing, and it was fun just hanging out. And it's funny, my buddy hasn't come back to the game since, although we found one of his old accounts and he saw the game today briefly and said the exact same thing "RS got prettier". But did the game improve?  In terms of function and operation, sure. But the social dynamic, like you're saying, will always be the same: people hanging with people and just having fun enjoying one another's company.  And that old community was a pretty small group of folks (even before my time) compared to the total population of account which exists today. I suppose we'll never be able to get back to that, in it's purest form.

Amen to that feeling of nostalgia