Text-based RPG

OG Vis

Hey guys. Recently I started a small summer project to build a fairly small text-based RPG. I'm writing it in Java and I hope to be (mostly) done by the end of summer. My question is: would anyone be interested in helping me in some ways?

Basically, I need:

• Story ideas
  • Skills, and ways to train them
  • (Once done) Testers
  • Other misc. ideas

Edited by CodeBlueLabs

That's the thing, I don't know. I just started it and I'm trying to brainstorm of some ideas.

Deleted User

Ah, okay. Hmm... maybe get inspiration from one of your hobbies? There's always the safe options like crime, adventure, army etc.

Okay, so I decided I wanted to learn Python this summer so I'm converting this project from Java to Python.

It's going really well right now, and I plan on having some visual aspects, but not right away. Thanks so far for the support :)

Okay, so I thought of a couple good ideas for a story.

I was watching this one youtube video and they mentioned Cast Away, and since I love that movie I was like yo I should make a game like Cast Away and you have to basically survive and build shelters and stuff like that and you have to survive for X amount of time (can be like difficulty increases or decreases time needed to survive?) and then you get rescued.

Another idea I had was like a planet builder style game where you have to colonize like Mars or something but you have to keep track of things like Pressure, Oxygen, Water levels, etc. etc.

The first idea would probably be a bit easier to make but a shorter game overall, and the second would be a tad harder but a much longer experience.

Thoughts?

• 4 months later...

Okay I was putting this on hold but @Minikillers mentioned it to me a bit ago and I was excited about it again so here we go.

Starting over from scratch since I've learned new things.

I'm thinking a survival-type RPG where you need to forage supplies, craft weapons, tools, and structures and grow a colony. It'll be reminiscent of those incremental games (e.g. A Dark Room) but I plan on adding some more cool features (multiplayer is an option).

Side Note: A Dark Room is a really fun game, you should try it :)