99 Cooking, Any tips?

OG Vis

So I'm planning on going for 99 Cooking as my first 99. It's an AFK skill and right now I'm binge watching shows on Netflix and YouTube so AFKing is all I really want to do.

I'm currently 64 Cooking, so I'm doing Lobsters with Cooking Gauntlets so that they don't burn on Portable Ranges.

Number is found by calculating experience using a Portable Range with a Dwarven Army Axe. Pulse Cores are used infrequently, so they aren't used in calculations

Cost is calculated by GE Market prices + 10%

Sell is calculated by GE Market price - 10% (after adding 10% to number of fish due to Portable Range)

My current plan:

• Lobsters (64 ~ 80) 
    • Number: 10,333 Lobsters
    • Cost: 2,345,591 GP
    • Sell: 1,204,828 GP
    • Total Profit: -1,140,763 GP
  • Swordfish (80 ~ 87)
    • Number: 11,535 Swordfish
    • Cost: 4,902,375 GP
    • Sell: 2,309,307 GP
    • Total Profit: -2,593,068 GP
  • Monkfish (87 ~ 94)
    • Number: 21,531 Monkfish
    • Cost: 14,964,045 GP
    • Sell: 6,773,653 GP
    • Total Profit: -8,190,392 GP
  • Shark (94 ~ 99)
    • Number: 19,706 Shark
    • Cost: 22,551,448 GP
    • Sell: 19,406,626 GP
    • Total Profit: -3,144,822 GP

Total Cost For 99: 15,069,045 GP

My Current Money Pouch (Already bought Lobsters): 17,518,529 GP

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to either make this cheaper, quicker, or just general advice. Thanks ;)

Look into the prices of the Menaphos fish, I'm pretty sure they're cheaper than some of the things you've listed up there. 

5 minutes ago, Beric said:

Look into the prices of the Menaphos fish, I'm pretty sure they're cheaper than some of the things you've listed up there. 

+1 (desert sole/beltfish/catfish)

Dont bother with swordfish

Also cooking rocktail/sailfish is probably still profit

1 minute ago, Deathcon said:

+1 (desert sole/beltfish/catfish)

Dont bother with swordfish

Also cooking rocktail/sailfish is probably still profit

7 minutes ago, Beric said:

Let me do some quick maths and see what I can find out.

I made a lot of "Baked potato with tuna and sweetcorn". That's available beginning at lvl 68 and if you buy (or grow) raw potatoes and sweetcorn and can also catch tuna to save money there. I think it was a pretty good money maker for me at the time. Then, I bought up shark and rocktail for those last few lvls and waited until dxp weekend came around. That's how I got my 99 cooking anyway.

Okay, after doing a bit of math, I cut the cost down by about 5m, but it will take slightly longer

Still doing Lobbies until 80, do Swordfish from 80 ~ 83, Catfish from 83 ~ 94, then Shark to 99.

Brings the total cost to around 10,467,507 GP (which I don't think is bad for only a total of about 1,000 more fish)

As fishing is also afk, definitely consider switching back and forth between the two. Cooking will level faster, but it will help defray cost and break up the monotony. 

If you can get to mid-high 90s by dxp def just get rocktail/sailfish and finish in a few hours. 

7 minutes ago, Rafi said:

As fishing is also afk, definitely consider switching back and forth between the two. Cooking will level faster, but it will help defray cost and break up the monotony. 

If you can get to mid-high 90s by dxp def just get rocktail/sailfish and finish in a few hours. 

I suppose you of all people would have experience with it; clan citadel cooking might be worth it too. Idk exp rates tho

6 hours ago, Deathcon said:

I suppose you of all people would have experience with it; clan citadel cooking might be worth it too. Idk exp rates tho?

I don't know experience rates either, but citadel cooking is quite good indeed. 

Cap just reset, too, didn't it?

Just now, Beric said:

I don't know experience rates either, but citadel cooking is quite good indeed. 

Probably! The reset time moves a little bit each week, but it should be at some point today if not already. 

Yeah, Gnome Restaurant Runs are very quick. Once you start, and before you know it, you will have the full Sous Chef's Outfit. That will always help, even with Citadel cooking.

33 minutes ago, thegreatwha said:

Yeah, Gnome Restaurant Runs are very quick. Once you start, and before you know it, you will have the full Sous Chef's Outfit. That will always help, even with Citadel cooking.

Yeah I looked up how to do it and got the full set within 30 minutes. Very easy, and actually kinda fun. Got a bit repetitive tho :P

14 hours ago, Deathcon said:

I suppose you of all people would have experience with it; clan citadel cooking might be worth it too. Idk exp rates tho

Oh yeah. Outside of dailies, I went something like low/mid-80s to 99 at citadel. Over many, many years. 

im on the same path as u currently.

catfish or beltfish to 85.

sharks to 93 or 94.

Use cooking gauntlets.

Rocktails to 99 ( Rocktails are breakeven to 99)

Estimated time = 45 hrs

53 minutes ago, Morrobeast said:

im on the same path as u currently.

catfish or beltfish to 85.

sharks to 93 or 94.

Use cooking gauntlets.

Rocktails to 99 ( Rocktails are breakeven to 99)

Estimated time = 45 hrs

I don't know, because the way I figured things out, it takes significantly less time:

Lobbies to 80

Swordfish to 83

Catfish to 90

Shark to 94

Rocktails to 99

Estimated cost = 8m

Estimated time = 27 hours

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

TuQH2Tl.png

Don't remember EXACTLY what I did, but I was at 88 at the start of DXP.

I continued doing Catfish until I hit 90, Sharks until 94, Rocktails until 95, and Blue Blubber Jellyfish for 95-99 (with dxp only was about 4,000 or so jellyfish, but that was with bxp sprinkled in there)