Tales from the Wild

Seike

I know there are a lot of Gladz, former Gladz, and non-Gladz who have made some of their favorite memories of Gladz north of Edgeville. 

My hope is that this thread can be a collaborative ode to Gladz in the Wilderness.  Please share any story, however important, from your encounters with Gladz. These don't have to be grand tales, it could be as simple as you and a buddy PKing while in Gladz. Or it could be a story of you pking Gladz if you like. Even if your memory is foggy and long ago, feel free to embellish it into a tall tale. 

Edited by Seike

I'll share one: 

In the era dominated by ZF and DI, Gladz were an inconsistent force in the F2P wild. In fact, we got spanked more often than not unless we had a big muster in which case we outnumbered most enemies and could contend with them. The taunt of the era was to ridicule others for having cheap armor and weapons (even in F2P) such as going as bringing adamant stuff or rune med helms or going as a ranger and not bringing full rune armor (which, at the time, was reasonably costly to acquire en masse).

I noticed that our confidence in going F2P PKing spontaneously was waivering. It seemed hard to get people to come out and there was a growing sense that we couldn't compete with other clans if we ran into someone. 

I wanted to make PKing fun again. I also wanted to make the prospect of just getting into the wild inviting for people who weren't that experienced at PKing or maybe just felt intimidated by the demands of risking a lot of armor and weapons they didn't want to lose in the wilderness. So I led a series of PK events designed to purposefully goad the clan community by embracing our "noob" armor and weapons. The rule on these events was that you couldn't bring anything rune and that you intentionally tried to dress up like a hobo. People went out in chef hats, bronze chainmail, and steel 2Hs. This was even shittier than "1 iteming," we were deplorable.

And it was hilarious. 

These trips were a lot of fun, regardless of whether we killed anyone or not. A lot of the time if we ran into any other clans, we would get crushed. We were pitifully equipped. But we died laughing, of course, and barely lost anything of worth. And on the off chance that we actually ran into some dudes who were in a small group PKing legitimately, we occasionally picked up a rune set or two out of the deal. The very act ran counter to the pressure of never bringing noob gear into the wilderness. By thumbing our nose at the clan community, we proved that we could have fun on our own terms. And I think for a lot of people who came out but who wouldn't have come out to a normal PK trip (i.e. the logchoppers), it was an especially enjoyable event because they found that the wilderness could be fun by intentionally risking nothing, clowning around, and occasionally terrify a random level 80 with your chef hats and bronze. More than anything, it got us just a bit more comfortable going into the big, bad, scary wilderness. And in an era where our confidence was low, it was a needed antidote to a clan that was frustrated with disappointment. 

Edited by Seike
  • 2 weeks later...

Lost the majority of my old pictures but this one should have some feels.

901zx3.png

I think it was fir the DS war but i'm not certain.

I'd say my favorite pking memory back with Gladz was somewhere in 2006, after we kept destroying TD in p2p with what should have been recognized as the first hit and runs, we had agreed to a 20 v 20 P2P capped miniwar. We thought it'd be hilarious if we all showed up in veracs, so all 20 of us showed up in Veracs and we ran through them in minutes. They started banking for welfare gear and came back up, I don't believe we lost anyone during the miniwar itself but If I'm not mistaken we lost 2 when they came back up with freezes. I remember ending up with a couple kills on their returners on my walk out of the wilderness, I believe Nalian and XarchofevilX followed me out then. I only remember about half of us that participated but I know it was Ewhenn, Geezerpunk, Destroyer25, Sayonaraman, Nalian, XarchofevilX, Sayonaraman, and myself. I really can't remember who else came, I know Destroyer25 took a video of it but I believe he lost it some years ago, but man I'd love to get a hold of that video that was pretty epic.

On 11/16/2018 at 4:09 AM, Minikillers said:

Talking about an old school fading away: http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1783583-exit-post-the-end/

Whoa. Didn’t know RS Community was still around after all these years - I thought they had died with EOC and the death of clans. Does tip.it still have a forum? Does this make Gladz also the oldest active RS forum? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
prince sarek
On 11/28/2018 at 3:41 AM, Mkm2384 said:

901zx3.png

I'd say my favorite pking memory back with Gladz was somewhere in 2006, after we kept destroying TD in p2p with what should have been recognized as the first hit and runs, we had agreed to a 20 v 20 P2P capped miniwar. We thought it'd be hilarious if we all showed up in veracs, so all 20 of us showed up in Veracs and we ran through them in minutes. They started banking for welfare gear and came back up, I don't believe we lost anyone during the miniwar itself but If I'm not mistaken we lost 2 when they came back up with freezes. I remember ending up with a couple kills on their returners on my walk out of the wilderness, I believe Nalian and XarchofevilX followed me out then. I only remember about half of us that participated but I know it was Ewhenn, Geezerpunk, Destroyer25, Sayonaraman, Nalian, XarchofevilX, Sayonaraman, and myself. I really can't remember who else came, I know Destroyer25 took a video of it but I believe he lost it some years ago, but man I'd love to get a hold of that video that was pretty epic.

i see my name at the top. cool

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 4:41 AM, Mkm2384 said:

901zx3.png

Wow, haven't seen TS in like a decade, lol.

11 hours ago, Ewhenn said:

Wow, haven't seen TS in like a decade, lol.

We're a long time out from the old late night PKs followed by quake sessions lol.

46ee7add3994d59f6c610f93e0ab3fc8.png

107046676ac572df22c73244645c7701.png

8358997392a47a57304e82c07c16a161.png

7740385d06c98e04668a614501ff46e7.png

A couple of the oldest pics I can find.

Some of the fondest memories I have of this game.

Edited by Zell Smith
  • 1 month later...

I wish I had all my PK and war pics and videos but they're lost in my old Photobucket and old computer. 

My first experience with clan wars was before I joined Gladz. I didn't participate, I just spectated the RSD vs. DI war. It was a massive war with a lot of trash talking about who was the best warring clan, so there were a ton of spectators. It motivated me to join a clan so I could participate in wars. I don't quite remember how I ultimately decided on Gladz. I think one of the reasons was Gladz was one of the few reputable war clans that also had skill requirements that allowed a lower combat level to join. I also liked the history as one of the oldest clans with success in PKing. 

Gladz was usually an underdog in a lot of clan wars, particularly because we had our ups and downs during wilderness PK trips. We usually had relatively lower combat level members and generally our performance in wilderness skirmishes was inconsistent. We had some members who ran, teleported, and X out, which was frowned upon back then. However, Gladz became very capable at wars - usually due to strong member turnouts and combat coordination. A lot of rival clans complained of our numbers due to our relatively lower application requirements. We compensated for our lower level through frequent training sessions on evasion techniques (running around fixed obstacles to cause attackers to get stuck and steel wars), single target focus calling ("G on Bibbleboy@@@@@@@@"), splitting into specialized "hit squads" to coordinate take downs and target switch to focus on key players throughout the battle (higher level, skilled PKers, and clan leaders), and defensive positioning (Gladz 2x2 death box and one square stacking), which, combined with our clan-wide combat leveling push (thanks to Red123nz's "GET 123 COMBAT!" campaign and Finaltank leading us toward focusing on wars), made Gladz one of the top war clans. 

Below are some wars that stand out in my memory - I'm sure I'm forgetting some awesome ones. I think I only missed participating in one large scale war during my time with Gladz and my survival rate was pretty good (think I only died twice in a dozen or so wars). 

Gladz vs. Zeonic Force

My first Gladz war was against the Zeonic Forces. This was one of earlier wars after RS2 was released. There was a history and long rivalry between Gladz and ZF and a lot of trash talking that stemmed from RSC. I don't remember the details of the rivalry. We had some skirmishes with ZF in the wild - both in F2P and P2P. The actual war I think we were on offense and we marched into their defensive position east of the Greater Demons. I remember it was hard to tell if we were winning, but eventually I noticed more and more green capes. After a long fought battle, we came out victorious. 

Gladz vs. Blackknights

Gladz, THE, Jaguars, and BK (and later TMRD) were part of what was known as the Alliance. We supported each other and had healthy relationships. While all the clans in the Alliance were strong, Gladz was the strongest and largest. BK eventually rose up and had many war successes. I don't remember exactly how relations deteriorated between Gladz and BK - I think there were some egos that came with their successes as well as some accidental killing of each other's PK groups that led the eventual declaration of war. The battle started east of Greaters and eventually migrated west to the Greater ruins. Our turnout was not great and BK had very strong turnout, so we got crushed. One of the very few large wars we lost. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-VenT5cFrk

Gladz vs. Dark Slayers

At the time, DS just started back up (forget if they were a rebirth or a rebirth of another clan), but they quickly became a dominant force after recruiting a large number of well known PKers. They poached top players from various clans and they became a formidable rival to DI, who was the top clan back then. Gladz had a strong turnout with maxed out options (~200+ people). We one squared east of Greaters and waited for DS to attack. All of a sudden we get bombarded by a ton of randoms. I think someone actually died from a random. It scattered our formation and DS charged in and took full advantage of the situation. We maintained our composure and pulled out victorious in the fight. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zokOcEb_i0

Gladz vs. Damage Inc

DI was considered by many as the top warring clan for a long time. They were very skilled in both F2P and P2P PKing, had the highest combat requirements, members were known as the best individual PKers, lot of old school players, and they consistently pulled out victories with significantly fewer headcount. DI was the clan to beat and everyone placed a target on their back. I don't remember if this came before or after the DS war. Zezima never really got involved with any clans or wilderness, but he was friends with some members - N0valyfe and some others I believe - so he came out to the wild in support of us along with a ton of mules/spectators. The battle took place along the fence/gate to P2P wild and Gladz had a very strong turnout. We were well prepared with leveling up and general tactical training, which showed when we came out on top. The victory made Gladz the top war clan and we had a huge target on our back. One of my top memories from RS. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEXbRvlFRnY

Other random memories:

Jerico in pink pigtails and skirt

Stalking rune rocks

MUSTERRRRRRRRRR

Server switching on top of other PK groups (wins and fails)

Skirmishes with Exercitum (killing Supa Vegeta), Corruption, DI, DS, TD

The Alliance vs. that one clan I forget the name (was like 350 vs 50), was supposed to be the largest war ever and the opposing side talked up a huge game but failed to show

Axe hut AFK pking and baiting 

Mage bank battles

I remember the Gladz ghetto pk trips for regaining morale, having fun and getting experience for less combat ready members

Sethnik horsey toy

Chasing people through the lava maze

Miniwars 

15v15 and 20v20 altar battles

Edited by Orlando
On 6/8/2019 at 4:56 PM, Orlando said:

(thanks to Red123nz's "GET 123 COMBAT!" campaign 

Haha there's a name I haven't recalled in a long time.