What makes Group PVM fun in your opinion?

shallow

I personally think there's no bad hour of pvm, even with our two separate events of 2 hours dying to Solak, I see the progress within each of us, and it's just that there are a lot of variables at play that cause one of us to mess up on any given kill, but we are all able to kill the boss! It'll just take time :D I think this is something I'll never get over, I'll die with someone for 3 hours straight, they'll think there is no hope for them in the world, we take turns dying, and then with the good grace of Zanik, we manage to kill the boss! Nothing gets my adrenaline pumping more than that! I could probably ramble about this for pages but, I'm curious to see what everyone's opinion is on what makes group pvm fun! Please let me know :D

For me, generally it's the quality of people that makes group PVM fun. I'm not referring to their competency, but having a great attitude. People who are experienced are of course a bonus and are good to have around. But attitude – I cannot emphasize it more. There is nothing wrong in wanting to achieve maximum kill/hr, I've also participate in runs with that specific goal in mind. But please be understanding and sympathetic towards your fellow scapers who are new to some bosses. And if you are new, aspire to be good at it too.

You've had a positive Solak experience, despite dying for 3 hours straight. Even makes me feel like joining the next session. What else can I say to that?

Group PvM fun for me comes in all forms.

Learner teams are something I'm a part of often and I generally enjoy seeing people get through kills. I think that there should be a baseline level that someone is at before attempting to learn certain bosses though - there needs to be some level of a chance at success. ##

Mixed teams are probably the most fun, and what I would classify most of our clan events/impromptu clan trips as. Some pretty experienced people, some newer people, and some inbetweeners. I get a lot of fun just hanging on out voice and doing stuff with people in the clan. It's my preferred way to PvM.

Highly experienced teams are something I'm fortunate enough to sometimes join and get carried by contribute to. I was running a lot of 7 man solak/hm ragu recently with some pretty experienced people there is a different form of fun when everyone is in it for the fastest/most consistent/quality kills. There is also a really different feel doing something like 7 man aod vs massing it. It's not something I'm sure I could do for many multiple hours in a row as in general most of those teams don't have the banter on voicechat/are a bit too serious. 

2 hours ago, Asada said:

Moments such as "I guarantee you I can base tank" followed by a quick swipe of death from Vorago makes group PvM super fun.

I wonder who that was. (H)

But yeah. Voicechat while PvMing with people >>>>>> no voicechat. I get bored without people to talk with.

@Bluee Iris I went duo vindicta with ani and it was a blast just because she had the patience of an angel with me being sub-par efficient. 

I really enjoyed it because Ani took the time to give me advice (and supply when I ran out).  and we just had a good time talking a bit while we did it.

But I also went to a twin fury event, which was hella fun because I could  leech kills and loot with minimum effort, all the while I had a blast listening to the banter of our clanmates. 

The best bit about group PVM is when all of you don't know what tf you're doing and end up getting a kill somehow, the feeling of accomplishment is unreal :P

Lots of different things play into it for me.

What makes group PvM fun:

• The people: People with fun personalities are a blast to do anything with. Like Amused mentioned, there's fun to be had in a variety of teams. Some years ago when a majority of the clan was very inexperienced with raids, it was a lot of fun to see people improve and the clan as a whole get better. Sure, there was some frustration along the way from time to time, but overall it was a good time. There's also a lot of fun in running with a good team where you're just kicking the shit out of the boss and making paper. Ultimately, if you show up prepared, with a good attitude, and a willingness to participate and help the team in whatever way it may need, people are going to enjoy PvMing with you. 
  • The boss: The boss we're killing needs to be challenging and rewarding for me to want to do it. Unless I need to farm KC for whatever reason, I'm probably not going to show up to a KBD/Corp/GWD2 mass. Sure, it can be fun to just chill and hang out with people, but I don't need to be killing a boss with you to do that. Killing a boss that you just left click and AFK isn't fun. The potential reward of those bosses isn't close to where it needs to be to drag me in. Something more challenging and stimulating to my brain, though, can be a lot of fun. I think two of the most well-designed boss fights in the game are Yakamaru and Solak. They both offer a variety of challenging mechanics for players to navigate that have real consequences to the entire team if done incorrectly. 
  • The memes: Brains on, thumbs up. I guarantee I can base. That thing that happened at AoD with Cyruss and Amused that one time. Just keeping you on your toes (I actually hate that one). 

The first two go both ways, however. What makes group PvM not fun:

• The people: Guys, honestly, I'm not trying to be an elitist ass, but there is a reasonable level/gear/other unlockables threshold that you should be past before you even think about taking on certain bosses. This is why we have relatively strict requirements for clan raid events. Just because you think you can do something doesn't mean you necessarily should. Please put in a few extra hours to grind out the things that you really should have before you try taking on a high level boss. Endgame PvM is designed for endgame players for a reason. Also, respect for other peoples' time is huge to me. If you're planning on attending a group PvM event, show up ready to go on time. This means be ready five minutes early. Please, please, please respect other peoples' time.
  • The boss: Some bosses are poorly designed. Nex: AoD is a shitty boss. I get that some people like it because you can show up with an army and half the people can totally leech the kill and still get codex splits, but that boss is complete ass. Unless you're base tanking, it's literally impossible to die unless one of your teammates kills you. Few things are more frustrating than minding your own business and suddenly finding yourself in Death's Office because someone didn't see the giant red message on their screen saying they were about to smoke half the team. It's also fun when you phase the boss at the wrong time and you literally can't do anything for like 30 seconds for no reason because clicking on Nex just runs you MD. Speaking of not being able to do anything, the ice mechanic is probably the coolest thing Jagex has ever thought of. Between the time when I see the ice message on my screen and the time that I have to eat through a massive bleed for no fucking reason, I can get up, take my dog for a walk (my dog lives on the other side of the country, btw), make dinner, maybe go into work and get some things done, and make it back to my computer just in time to eat through half my fucking inventory. Wow, so difficult, thanks Jagex. Let's touch on basing, too - instead of an interactive experience where you can actually think about how you want to use your defensives to mitigate damage, basing at AoD consists of put-food-in-mouth. What an enjoyable experience. That boss sucks cock, I honest to God don't understand why you guys like it so much, maybe it'll actually be fun when they rework it in like 2022. 

I like a fun, chill encounter. No crazy gimmicks or associated bullzanik. Just a straightforward, old school tank n spank. I'm not playing games in order to further increase my blood pressure.

When you have to get in that clutch ability or the perfect positioning or whatever otherwise you get the zkZewiy.png, that's not fun in a group or otherwise IMO. 

Relax, chill, enjoy yourselves. And stop pretending you're all that because you can press 1-9 on your keyboards at the speed of a global cooldown.

I mean AOD is a bad boss but its the best money in the game besides solak and telos and aod takes minimal skill to learn. even non 7 man is better money than most bosses so I can see the appeal

Yeah, I think Cam hit all the critical points: People, Boss, and holy **** respecting peoples time. And respecting people's time means also having your equipment and everything ready before hand. So yeah, just trying to be integral when it comes to being available (I am hardly ever available, but I'm hoping to change that soon enough). 

But all in all, it's always fun to hang out with clannies. :D  Even just sitting in TS and listening to people go through a boss encounter is plenty fun to me.

6 hours ago, Isurugi Noe said:

@Bluee Iris I went duo vindicta with ani and it was a blast just because she had the patience of an angel with me being sub-par efficient. 

I really enjoyed it because Ani took the time to give me advice (and supply when I ran out).  and we just had a good time talking a bit while we did it.

Reading this made my day. :ani:

---

What makes group PvM fun for me:

- Peoples' personality/humour, really makes things more enjoyable. :D 

- Learning something new every time I go to PvM / people helping me learn. Going to AoD has improved my dps by a lot, as well as becoming a little quicker in weapon / gear switches. :3 

- Killing more of the chill bosses is very fun too. c: 

The feeling of contributing to something greater than yourself. You might make the difference between being able to kill the boss or not, or make the boss a noticeable amount easier/faster. The same thing applied back in the day with Dungeoneering before Jagex ruined the skill by removing the need for teamwork/competent teammates, except Dungeoneering was way more successful/better at it than group PvM is. Dungoneering was more strategy-based, straightforward, and mostly involved people working towards the same goal (fast floors, and fast XP for those going for 120/200M). Group PvM, killing the boss at all seems to be the main goal for people. Whether that be someone tagging along for the Reaper title for Completionist Cape, lazily doing 100 kills for Final Boss, or leeching off the more lucrative PvM gp/hr (think people who have no business doing raids attending raids for some mediocre 10M/hr, or attending AoD to get the split). Rather than having a bunch of different strategies and important decision-making points that Dungoneering had, group PvM has one main focus which dictates everything: DPS. In group Dungeoneering, you valued competence and critical thinking. In group PvM, you value DPS, just a number. It's pretty sad, it is a poor replacement for Dungeoneering. Perhaps more sad is that, because for many a successful kill is the overall goal, many people don't even bother to get better at DPS. You also rarely interact with your group. If you're at AoD, you're just one of the people allowed to be in the arena to hit the boss. You do the same thing every single kill. Decision-making is largely dead. The only real decision making is for groups with very high DPS figuring out how best to achieve maximum DPS, and then repeating that every single kill from there on out. Everyone else just copies that. In many cases, though, those optimal strategies involve people having high enough DPS to make it work. You have to downgrade your strategy to accommodate mediocrity, and people get comfortable with that.

Pretty much the only boss that requires decision-making and a dynamic strategy is RotS. It is still frustrating when people are perfectly fine with sucking ass there, though. Yes, I can mix up the strategy to make up for someone who can't do 12k damage in 30 seconds. But holy shit.

Group PvM is fun for me if I am making consistent profit. I do not enjoy going to a boss where I might make 2m an hour for like 6 hours in a row and then make 60m on the 7th hour. I'd rather just make 10m an hour for 7 hours. For me this is simply because I see PvM as the best way to be making money in the game. If I want to go make money for 200m construction or crafting or something, I feel compelled to PvM rather than train mining for gp, because that feels like a massive waste of time. If I had 3b worth of spirit shards in my bank, I would be able to enjoy PvM like when a new boss is released and on day 1 you have to die for 3 hours before getting a kill because nobody knows the best combat style or gear or strategies to use. At this point you don't have to worry about running out of money and not being able to continue at the boss, but if you only have like a 30m cash pouch and you die 10 times in an hour, the death cost is most of your cash.

At the point where you are not doing PvM for profit, bosses are more fun if you have to think on the fly. If you have to decide which abilities to use and there's a chance you might make the wrong decision if you don't think about it carefully enough, that is more fun than doing the same exact thing every kill. There are some bosses in this game you could literally kill with your eyes closed if you had sounds on or if somebody else was making calls.

The most fun PvM is definitely when the people are fun and speaking on voice chat and you are learning and improving. For example, I went on a vorago team once and didn't really receive instruction - it was more like a mass than anything - and it was super boring. I left after 2 kills. But then I went to vorago in a 4-man team where on the first kill I was told what to do and then tested on it, I had a lot more fun. If I had been incapable of counting to 3 and pressing the proper ability, I would have died and hurt the team. 

Participating in the team and dying is more fun than leeching and surviving.

Helping other people whether they are good or not. There is only one way a person learns and they aren't going to be great without help. Pushing people to get better instead of expecting them to do it on their own. Not being a dick when someone messes up.

Lifted this from Berics Dec 31st clan address:

"13 people indicated that they wanted to attend PvM events, but haven't. The most common reason for this was a sense of intimidation. If you're one of those people, just bite the bullet! Our PvM group is a very friendly bunch of people. Seeing new faces joining in on boss kills makes everyone happy.?"

Dang I wish I started quoting and responding to people earlier LOL but maybe this will work! Sorry if I skipped but if I did I agreed or had nothin to add! Love u all ahha

On 1/13/2019 at 7:20 AM, Ei8hty said:

You've had a positive Solak experience, despite dying for 3 hours straight. Even makes me feel like joining the next session. What else can I say to that?

Heck yeah dude, if you need any tips to help you better prepare let me know :D

On 1/13/2019 at 7:47 AM, Asada said:

Moments such as "I guarantee you I can base tank" followed by a quick swipe of death from Vorago makes group PvM super fun.

LMFAO I miss you btw, please come play runescape with me!!

On 1/13/2019 at 10:27 AM, AmusedDragon said:

Voicechat while PvMing with people >>>>>> no voicechat. I get bored without people to talk with.

Sometimes I'm bad at getting on voice chat but whenever I do I never regret it, honestly you're the king of teamspeak and always brighten the mood. Glad to have u with me in most encounters haha

On 1/13/2019 at 12:17 PM, Catbutts said:

I prefer solo pvm that way I'm only letting myself down and not others. But group pvm is always fun when you make phat stackz  (H)

LMFAO you're a beast stop this haha, we are gonna get a duo solak kill soon

On 1/13/2019 at 12:42 PM, Isurugi Noe said:

I went duo vindicta with ani and it was a blast just because she had the patience of an angel with me being sub-par efficient. 

This is so wholesome, hope you can join in on the even higher up stuff soon! We'll try to be similarly helpful but Ani is the best!

On 1/13/2019 at 1:29 PM, Cam L said:

The first two go both ways, however. What makes group PvM not fun:

• The people: Guys, honestly, I'm not trying to be an elitist ass, but there is a reasonable level/gear/other unlockables threshold that you should be past before you even think about taking on certain bosses. This is why we have relatively strict requirements for clan raid events. Just because you think you can do something doesn't mean you necessarily should. Please put in a few extra hours to grind out the things that you really should have before you try taking on a high level boss. Endgame PvM is designed for endgame players for a reason. Also, respect for other peoples' time is huge to me. If you're planning on attending a group PvM event, show up ready to go on time. This means be ready five minutes early. Please, please, please respect other peoples' time.

I love you and you're idea of how to play man haha. I almost applied the people point to our Solak attempts but I think the idea of Solak scares anyone like that away a little bit, I do want to setup successful 7 mans as well even if they turn into 2 kill hours that TRIPLE some people's kc :D But thank you for trying to stick through the Solak learning as well haha, I'll avoid aod ahhah I also think its poorly designed and a travesty that it's the best gp per hour for 7 people

8 hours ago, Edem Alive said:

Helping other people whether they are good or not. There is only one way a person learns and they aren't going to be great without help. Pushing people to get better instead of expecting them to do it on their own. Not being a dick when someone messes up.

Lifted this from Berics Dec 31st clan address:

"13 people indicated that they wanted to attend PvM events, but haven't. The most common reason for this was a sense of intimidation. If you're one of those people, just bite the bullet! Our PvM group is a very friendly bunch of people. Seeing new faces joining in on boss kills makes everyone happy.?"

This is really relevant actually, nice catch :O I'd definitely want to see new people interested in at least raids/aod if not Solak, tbh I'm happy you started being interested as well haha i think you've just about caught on to everything we've made it too now, just working on execution :D Proud of you dude

Same reason I love playing team sports.  It feels great to work together towards a common goal, success or failure (as long as you pick yourself up and try again).  This is the same reason I loved group pk'ing and clan wars - only I preferred that even more as it was people vs people which was infinitely more variable and satisfying to me. 

I will also add that I really love learning from a good teacher. Someone who is passionate about the subject and invested in you makes the learning experience truly enjoyable.  I find that with some of our event leads in PvM.