Comp cape poll is out

Beric

1 hour ago, James said:

the comp cape being required for anything serious is a bit of an turn off for endgame content.

It's not, though. 

Comp cape is sought after in order to have particles following you throughout the game and to show off that you completed content that most people have not, best in slot plays no role at all in everyone's mind when seeking a cape. I don't think anyone believes that less than 20 stat bonus will be the breaking point for whether or not someone can defeat a boss LOL.

I think the argument can be applied to anyone who is a pvmer that goes for speed kill RECORDS (not just attempts to get fast kills) but since I'm fairly sure none of us go for those kind of things, we shouldn't be the ones to speak on the matter of whether it should or should not be a best in slot cape.

Edited by ah ty
8 hours ago, AmusedDragon said:

Elaborate.

I usually come back and try out new updates as they come (I.E. this recent mining update) - If they make improvements, graphical or otherwise to the comp cape, I would probably be more inclined to obtain one.

But, now that I actually read this, instead of assuming by them saying "comp cape rework" to mean that it would be a positive update for people who actually work towards earning it.. I am actually not a fan of the direction this is heading.

EDIT: They really just need to finish RS3 on mobile and then I'll play a lot more. All this other crap can be put on the back burner imo.

Edited by Afternine

82b11afd13b71bc3d9693ce78edc60ed.png

Can anybody explain to me how the hell anybody thinks this is a problem? In the part I highlighted jagex says players who wont do the content get locked out of comp cape. That means that people are REFUSING to do the requirements for the cape, and expect the cape anyway.

The only way I could imagine you can't do a requirement is if you have some type of disability (like maybe you only have 4 total fingers, so you cant use all the keybinds needed to defeat a certain boss) or have a seriously shitty internet/computer. Otherwise, you're just not trying hard enough. 

4 hours ago, Pizzas said:

Can anybody explain to me how the hell anybody thinks this is a problem? In the part I highlighted jagex says players who wont do the content get locked out of comp cape. That means that people are REFUSING to do the requirements for the cape, and expect the cape anyway.

The only way I could imagine you can't do a requirement is if you have some type of disability (like maybe you only have 4 total fingers, so you cant use all the keybinds needed to defeat a certain boss) or have a seriously shitty internet/computer. Otherwise, you're just not trying hard enough. ?

I can sort of explain from past experience. 2-3 years ago when I got my comp cape my last requirement was to get a ROTS kill. The clan I was in at the time was not a pvm clan and no one did ROTS except for 1 or 2 people who did not want to help out. I got 3 other people and we tried for hours until someone would quit and we'd have to find another person and try again till someone else gave up. I did not want to leave the clan and find a more pvm related clan and I couldn't at the time as I was (and am still not) that great of a pvmer and wouldnt pass trials or requirements. All my friends were also in the clan and I was par the the warring team so I really didn't want to leave. Eventually I paid for a leech kill and got my comp cape.

After I quit for a year and came back I now had to get an AOD kill and the new clan I joined which was supposed to be more pvm related still wouldn't teach me even though I met the requirements for it. Fortunately this time I joined a great clan that puts up with my lack of pvm skills and is willing to teach, but not everyone is so lucky. All that being said I still think boss kills should be a requirement but I understand why people may feel locked out as I once did. 

BTW thats still my only ROTS kill and I'd like to still learn it.

Edited by Catbutts
16 hours ago, Sansa said:

So much bullshit entitlement from players wanting what they haven't earned. 

14 hours ago, Veggie said:

You speak my language :imhappy:

Yep, ive never seen a more entitled playerbase than RS's, its fucking sad tbh.

46 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

Yep, ive never seen a more entitled playerbase than RS's, its fucking sad tbh.

You must not play a lot of games then. Lol.

Sea of thieves might be worse. People flip out when you try to play the game as intended and call you all kinds of names when you sink their ship or attack people at ports.

7 hours ago, Pizzas said:

The only way I could imagine you can't do a requirement is if you have some type of disability (like maybe you only have 4 total fingers, so you cant use all the keybinds needed to defeat a certain boss) or have a seriously shitty internet/computer. Otherwise, you'r?e just not trying hard enough. 

It's differing expectations of what the cape means. You have people who think that completionist should mean that you've completed all of the major content in the game. You have others who think it should mean that you've 100% mastered everything in detail. You have others who think the bar should be lower and that people who have reached 'end game' have completed the game. It all boils down to when you think you are "done" with the game. This is difficult to define in an open world MMO that has such a high ceiling as RS. Realistically can it be expected that a user is not "complete" until they are 200m everything, Insane final boss, maxed cash, trimmed quest cape, etc etc etc. I don't think that could, or should, be expected. 

"Can't" is one thing that certainly does need to be considered by developers. Requiring elite group ninja keyboard tapdancing skillz, or 6 months of uninterrupted waiting time that most people don't have, with no way around it, is just exclusionary more than anything. While there does need to be challenge from time to time and there does need to be time involved, purposefully introducing those things for their own sake and cranking them up to prohibitive levels is not how it should be. Disabilities and other issues such as anxiety can be considered here and that's where issues arise with things such as ultra level group pvm.

"Won't" is slightly different and takes a few different forms. Super difficult PVM, for instance, is just not my thing. I don't want to do it. It isn't fun. So, I won't. I will, however, go around it by tagging along with a clan fight, begging AmusedDragon, or by flat out paying someone to carry me. Another form of 'wont' is like, the castle wars req. I could, but it's too boring for far too long. So I won't. And having things that cause people to quit their goals (or be discouraged from taking them on at all) is not good game design for any game, much less an MMO that relies on people spending time grinding to get to goals. 

They need to data dive and pull the numbers and use statistics (and a little common sense) to determine a cutoff point where the game can be considered 'completed'. To use more modern game phrasing, they need to determine what is the core game and what is part of additional "DLC". The core game should be able to be completed by most of those who try for it. The "DLC" can take it up another notch in its specific area and it should have its own specific rewards, too.

For instance, consider Minigames. Expand on the Thaler system (and it does have its own problems, to be sure) but add an achievement system to it. That's where I'd put things like the CW req. And deliver some kind of cool reward such that people see it around if you have one but not such that it becomes something seen as required or BIS. 

10 hours ago, Pizzas said:

The only way I could imagine you can't do a requirement is if you have some type of disability (like maybe you only have 4 total fingers, so you cant use all the keybinds needed to defeat a certain boss)

You'd be amazed by the kinds of disabilities people are still able to kill Telos with

Example

5 hours ago, Catbutts said:

I can sort of explain from past experience. 2-3 years ago when I got my comp cape my last requirement was to get a ROTS kill. The clan I was in at the time was not a pvm clan and no one did ROTS except for 1 or 2 people who did not want to help out. I got 3 other people and we tried for hours until someone would quit and we'd have to find another person and try again till someone else gave up. I did not want to leave the clan and find a more pvm related clan and I couldn't at the time as I was (and am still not) that great of a pvmer and wouldnt pass trials or requirements. All my friends were also in the clan and I was par the the warring team so I really didn't want to leave. Eventually I paid for a leech kill and got my comp cape.

After I quit for a year and came back I now had to get an AOD kill and the new clan I joined which was supposed to be more pvm related still wouldn't teach me even though I met the requirements for it. Fortunately this time I joined a great clan that puts up with my lack of pvm skills and is willing to teach, but not everyone is so lucky. All that being said I still think boss kills should be a requirement but I understand why people may feel locked out as I once did. 

BTW thats still my only ROTS kill and I'd like to still learn it.

I'll take u rots xo and we still have to go solak pls spam me when ur mentally prepared :D

17 minutes ago, ah ty said:

I'll take u rots xo and we still have to go solak pls spam me when ur mentally prepared :D

We'll go this weekend senpai :embarrassed:

What annoys me about this whole discussion are the people complaining that they don't want to do X content but still get the BiS cape in the game.

If you're actively avoiding certain content then MAYBE the comp cape isn't made for you? You're not entitled the cape if you cry loud enough.

Other than that, I am not 100% sure I understand the discussion, and I'm not really interested, I just don't think the "ultimate goal of RS" (I saw someone state this on reddit) should be made easier, if anything harder. 

3 hours ago, Isurugi Noe said:

What annoys me about this whole discussion are the people complaining that they don't want to do X content but still get the BiS cape in the game.

? If you're actively avoiding certain content then MAYBE the comp cape isn't made for you? You're not entitled the cape if you cry loud enough.

There are two kinds of complainers. There are people who purely want to PvM and not do other parts of the game - they want the extra ~1-2% DPS from Completionist Cape, even though that difference isn't even noticeable. The other people are those who want Completionist Cape (for whatever reason, accomplishment, fashion, stats) but are not good enough at the game to get it/don't have friends to do group bosses with for Reaper title.

Jagex has framed the discussion around the first set of players, even though it is transparent that the latter is the issue they are trying to address. The first set of players barely exist - a much more common hurdle for those players is Max Guild for the boss portal. Nobody seriously cares about the Completionist Cape stats, and it is dishonest for Jagex or others to pretend that the stats are the big deal here. The latter set of players are the vocal ones who have been complaining for years. Those are the players who post on Reddit saying they're FORCED to buy a Solak leech.

In listening to the latter set of players, Jagex shies away from making very difficult bosses. In catering to the nearly non-existent first group, Jagex - with rare exceptions - doesn't introduce new Completionist Cape requirements anymore. If it is a new quest or a song track, yes, but they do not add new "defined" requirements. The most recent were 2 from M&S rework, before that I believe it was Hall of Memories (June 11, 2018), and before that I think it might have been Claus is Rising (April 18, 2017) and Lost Toys from the same day (April 18, 2017).

30 minutes ago, Veggie said:

In listening to the latter set of players, Jagex shies ?away from making very difficult bosses.

Dude I just want them to make harder content and any solution to this would be great. The simple fix would be to stop babying the player base and a complicated one would be trying to please everyone.. We're definitely on the same page here but WEW this idea made me sad that they are holding back more difficult content :/ 

On 1/24/2019 at 2:58 AM, Sansa said:

So much bullshit entitlement from players wanting what they haven't earned. 

I earned it once. Then the goal posts moved. Then they moved again. Then they moved again... [years of this continue...] So I stopped chasing them and quit.

I'm probably not alone.

2 hours ago, Dan G said:

I earned it once. Then the goal posts moved. Then they moved again. Then they moved again... [years of this continue...] So I stopped chasing them and quit.

I'm probably not alone.

I don't want to come across as rude, but did you quit because you couldn't bother chasing comp.

Or because of other reasons, one of which being the constant comp hunt?

48 minutes ago, Isurugi Noe said:

I don't want to come across as rude, but did you quit because you couldn't bother chasing comp.

Or because of other reasons, one of which being the constant comp hunt?

That's not rude, mate.

Both. I found myself only playing to grind (very accurate use of the word) new updates to get the strike-through in my completionist log and just looking forward to it being done, only to start again shortly after. But I certainly stopped playing as a culmination of other reasons too.

35 minutes ago, Dan G said:

That's not rude, mate.

Both. I found myself only playing to grind (very accurate use of the word) new updates to get the strike-through in my completionist log and just looking forward to it being done, only to start again shortly after. But I certainly stopped playing as a culmination of other reasons too.?

Fair enough, when a game becomes a chore it loses it's glory. 

That's probably why I'll never comp myself because I'd rather just enjoy myself :)