Mage gear for Rax?

XPRxBeta

So I've been trying to solo Rax for months. Haven't been able to yet. but today I beat his 3rd phase which is the farthest I've gotten. Does anyone have any recommended gear setups or other tips? I'm currently using virtus, nox staff, reaper necklace (or), and lotd. I'm not great with ability cycles so any tips there would be great also. Thanks!

Edited by XPRxBeta
typo in title :P
19 minutes ago, XPRxBeta said:

So I've been trying to solo Rax for months. Haven't been able to yet. but today I beat his 3rd phase which is the farthest I've gotten. Does anyone have any recommended gear setups or other tips? I'm currently using virtus, nox staff, reaper necklace (or), and lotd. I'm not great with ability cycles so any tips there would be great also. Thanks!

Firstly: Don't use the reaper necklace. Use an amulet of souls. It has a lot more damage reduction (20% more damage reduction to your overhead prayer)

Secondly: Your gear otherwise is fine, so you not beating the boss after months of attempting has to be a mechanical issue. You are probably not doing mechanics right and/or not doing damage how you should be.

Please post a screenshot of your magic bar, and:

Do you use revolution?

Do you let revolution auto-fire thresholds and ultimates for you? If you do, don't. Letting it do just basics is fine.

What path rotations have you tried the boss on? Do you know what you are doing on those rotations?

What Amused said is true, but FYI using magic at Rax will cause you to take bleed damage you otherwise wouldn't. 

The bleed damage with magic is honestly really minuscule at lower enrages. It's almost a non-factor. It may not be ideal if you are struggling to kill the boss at all, though.

That being said, if you have good ranged gear that would make rax less troublesome to learn if that bleed is in fact the reason you are dying. Rax is doable and good with all three styles though. Each has their strength.

Are you on an accuracy boosting aura of some kind? Maybe for a new rax killer try waiting til minion path is closed so you aren’t dealing with them in p3. Dark path is pretty simple and you’ll probably take less damage as long as you dodge correctly

I just saved up enough to buy my nox staff. So my mage gear is the only setup I have at the moment. And yes I use revolution. I've never been able to get into using abilities myself since the transition to EOC. Wouldnt mind learning, I just have no idea where to begin. I only have a vampirism aura atm. Cant bring myself to buy runecoins or spend loyalty points for more. The amulet of souls and bleed damage are tips I wasnt aware of. Will keep those in mind. And i will post a pic of my ability bar when i get a chance.

1 hour ago, XPRxBeta said:

I only have a vampirism aura atm. Cant bring myself to buy runecoins or spend loyalty points for more.

There's no option to spend Runecoins on auras.

What else are you planning to do with your Loyalty Points? Proper PvM auras would be a huge help to you, Vamp really doesn't cut it. 

I was going off the top of my head. I guess it's not so much wanting to keep my points, it's more not sure of what to get first. I dont have all that many auras unlocked either. Anyways, here's my ability bar. Ignore the prayers. I know they're bad. Almost have curses.znk3IB2.jpg

7 minutes ago, XPRxBeta said:

I guess it's not so much wanting to keep my points, it's more not sure of what to get first.

Veggie made a post about that a few months back: 

3 hours ago, XPRxBeta said:

I was going off the top of my head. I guess it's not so ?much wanting to keep my points, it's more not sure of what to get first. I dont have all that many auras unlocked either. Anyways, here's my ability bar. Ignore the prayers. I know they're bad. Almost have curses.znk3IB2.jpg? ?

Where is sunshine? Have you done The World Wakes? If you have not done that quest to unlock sunshine and deathswiftness you should drop everything you are doing and do it now.

Aside from that: Your bar seems to be built for revo activating ALL your abilities. This is bad. Go to your combat settings and find the checkboxes where it says 'thresholds' and 'ultimates' and uncheck them.

Then simply put your most powerful basics on the leftmost side of your bar. After that put thresholds/ultimates. Assign keys to them or just click on them (but do keys, you will thank yourself later).

Without sunshine you aren't even doing combat. You're basically just poking stuff with a stick. Omnipower is a terrible ultimate ability that should never be used save for the most niche of circumstances.

I think a part of your problem is that you probably aren't using freedom or anticipate every 3-4 attacks after a special. If you rotate between the two, the time in a web spec is halved and you don't get pulled in for the cleave.

well, just finished world wakes. guess just have to learn to use my abilities myself and get better at the mechanics.

Edited by XPRxBeta
17 minutes ago, XPRxBeta said:

well, just finished world wakes. guess just have to learn to use my abilities myself and get better at the mechanics.

I am not too sure when you're active EDT-wise but if you ever hop on TS really late EDT I could talk you through some stuff. Or you could get on whenever and see if anyone else would be willing to help you.

Your bar could look like this:

Basics: Sonic wave, Dragon breath, Corruption Blast, Wrack, Chain.

Thresholds: You should have wild magic and asphyxiate as thresholds on your bar.

Ultimates: Sunshine is the only ultimate you use 99% of the time.

You'll have open space with this and can fill with more abilities based on preference.

----------------------------

But in general for 'good' dps, barring actually having to deal mechanics you should:

Use sunshine at 100% adren with a ring of vigour equipped + you drink an adren pot for instant 35% adren. You then use a few basics and wild magic, use a few basics and asphyxiate. You can use wild magic again before your sun is out.

Wild magic and asphyxiate do A LOT OF DAMAGE, use them, and use them especially underneath a sunshine.

If you got high invention you should ABSOLUTELY invest in perks like planted feet to extend your sunshine duration for more thresholds during your sun, aftershock for easy damage, crackling 3 for easy damage, and well, you could just get all the standard perks listed here:

https://rs3bossschool.com/articles/optimal-invention-perks/

I'm on CT. So I'm an hour behind you. I'll watch for you.  I appreciate the help. Seeing a max Cb player who is clueless about pvm probably surprises a lot of people. Lol. But this is the first account I've ever gotten high enough to boss. So still tryna learn.

Better....? I hope. Lol. if u have an idea of what to put in the slot bound to 6 I'm all ears. Gonna swap out prayers to curses when I get them. Maybe I'll put soulsplit there.

Again, thanks for everyone's advice! :)

2MNnLpyh.jpg

@XPRxBeta

caf8044efe5a4d861891eef17a44278e.png

Here's my bar for reference. You wouldn't need concentrated blast on your bar, could switch it out for Chain instead. I also use full manual so this isn't ideal for revolution, but an idea of what abilities you should maybe have on your bar.