armor spike upgrade

Kris_Kronkle

whats yalls thoughts on the usefulness of the new armor spike upgrade? from what i understand it grants a 10% chance to do 10X damage of what it normally does. how much of a damage increase does the work out to being? is it worth using a shield with these new spikes as supposedly the spikes do double damage with a shield equipped? not really a huge melee user so i wanted to hear what those who are more familiar think about this

Edited by Kris_Kronkle

alright nice math question, I think it ends up depending on the attack speed of the opponent to calculate the damage per minute so we can just calculate the damage per spike which in a sample size of 1000, 100 of them will now hit for 990 and 900 of them will hit for 99 making the average damage now 188.1 instead of 99, and this changes when shield camping ofc but I don't want to encourage shield or defender camping atm haha. assuming an attack speed of 2.4 seconds (yakamaru attack speed) it'll end up hitting 25 times in a minute, and dealing 4,702.5 damage. which uh is like a decent ability that took no time or adren. 

wiki says current price per armour spike (alloy) is 47.05 which my quick maths brings to around 4 damage per gp making it like 60k gp per hr at a boss like yakamaru i think?

seems ok if you are planning on being adjacent and meleeing, some bosses with a lot of time spent not attacking you it might be better to just bring a brew if food is an issue but i dont see a reason to not use them besides not wanting to smith them or not wanting to give up an inventory space lol

(feel free to fix my math, i did not check my work LOL)

Edited by ah ty
added disclaimer (^:
1 hour ago, Kris_Kronkle said:

how? much of a damage increase does the work out to bein?g???

It works out to be about double  vs regular spikes ( which are something like 2-2400 dpm)

It's this:

But actually damage instead of a house.