Designer Diary

shallow

Stuff that matters imo/ i gotta think about stuff that i'll do to maintain comp cape:

Level 120 -We will be increasing more skills to level 120, and are currently working on two skills in particular. We want to make it clear that we learned so much from Slayer 120 and will ensure we do not make its mistakes again. We will be making the 120s full, with worthwhile stuff to unlock, making it feel fundamentally different training skills at those levels. We want to reassure you that we also won’t be releasing 120s at an accelerated pace, even if initially it might feel as such with two skills being increased at one time (which felt like the right thing to do – more info at a later date). In the long-term we will be managing the rate of release of 120s so that people will still feel they can own and keep a comp cape for a significant period of time. On the flip side, we want to recover the feeling of leveling and unlocking in the skills that you already love. We think it’s the right time to do it.

New Skills - Finally, we want to keep producing new skills. While this could feasibly increase the complexity of the game, we will address this by making these skills immediately understandable - in a way that Divination wasn’t, but Slayer is. We'll be ensuring they enrich or stay out of the core game mechanics. This might gently increase the frequency of new skills coming out, but not to a hugely noticeable degree.

hmmm thats all that i care about rlly but heres the rest of the post! 
https://secure.runescape.com/m=news/designer-diary-episodic-content#_ga=2.186269034.2133713061.1567582005-1487314971.1554925802

if anything stands out to you let us know! 

Edited by aw ty

since theres no real timeline given i'll assume it'll take like a year or two to be implemented so i'm not worried haha, I just hope new skills or 120 skills that become a comp requirement are not buyables that reward people for hoarding a bunch of supplies or something, wouldn't mind having new grind-able content tho

CaM l WhY aRe YoU gOiNg FoR 120 aLl SkIlLs???

In all seriousness, I think the survey Jagex put out recently made it very clear that they've already decided what they're going to do, and at a minimum a Construction rework with the skill capping at 120 is certainly in the works. 

2 hours ago, Cam L said:

CaM l WhY aRe YoU gOiNg FoR 120 aLl SkIlLs???

Right?  It seemed inevitable to me. I mean, where else were they gonna go with current 99 skills? I wonder how newbie players will take this, and how much their cries and pleas will try and "sway the vote" especially in terms with episodic content - drops rates, lvl access, xp rates, and so on and so forth. We can't keep things too difficult can we? Of course we have to always remember and accept how $$$$ talks, and how new and incumbent flows of revenue can be a powerful business driver. (i.e. new players, returning players, etc. all multiplied by the advent of mobile). I mean, isn't that a core functional aspect of any 'for-profit' organization)?

Coming to a Gladiatorz Forum Thread near you (Goals and Progress Topics): Great's Gainz Part 4 - All Skills 120's! :D (but I'd likely just go for 200M all :/)

2 hours ago, Rafi said:

Fuckkkkkkkkkk...new skills.

Yeah, I share a bit of this sentiment, but let's be real: it was always bound to happen...again and again and again....  (P.S.: I finally watched the shrew vs snake link:o)

200.webp?cid=790b7611d698c9902b7b27b8734

I suppose I'm curious too about their new org structure (Episodic Content was what most of this link was about, but also Live Ops, Core Game Experiences, and Mobile. I can't say I was ever familiar with their old one, but does make me curious as to how efficient this new order will be compared to the old.

3 hours ago, thegreatwha said:

(P.S.: I finally watched the shrew vs snake link

I had to think for a minute what you were talking about. I completely forgot that was in my sig from a forum prank god knows how many years ago. 

Just now, Rafi said:

I completely forgot that was in my sig from a forum prank god knows how many years ago. 

I'm about 99% certain you put that in there yourself after Felicia posted the vid somewhere/started the shrew joke. I so wish I could remember what the shrew thing was about in the first place :jade:

1 minute ago, Rafi said:

I had to think for a minute what you were talking about. I completely forgot that was in my sig from a forum prank god knows how many years ago. 

Ha!  I'm glad to have brought it to you attention. :lol: - So do you plan to remove it ever?

3 minutes ago, Beric said:

I'm about 99% certain you put that in there yourself after Felicia posted the vid somewhere/started the shrew joke. I so wish I could remember what the shrew thing was about in the first place :jade:

I believe I found the video / put it there, but it was after someone changed my forum name or rank to Shrew as a joke/jibe. 

Also, 120s are definitely not inevitable. It’s a choice. They’ve opted to continue making xp rates faster and easier and as a result have cornered themselves into raising the xp required to make levels meaningful. Going down this road they’d eventually need to lift the 200m xp cap in another 10 years if the only way they can think of to keep the game relevant is continue to raise the level ceilings.  

Tagging @Felicia in the hopes that she'll someday log in and enlighten us. 

1 minute ago, Rafi said:

Going down this road they’d eventually need to lift the 200m xp cap in another 10 years if the only way they can think of to keep the game relevant is continue to raise the level ceilings.  

I'm about to have my second 200M without even trying for it, so I kinda actually hope that they someday do this. I know some people enjoy the feeling of finishing a skill, but I can't think of anything that more makes me want to stop playing. 

I want 'sailing' and mounts in POF and that they make Gielnor like google earth and we can sail the seas with our ships and conquer shit with our steeds. Giddy up yo!

14 hours ago, Beric said:

Tagging @Felicia in the hopes that she'll someday log in and enlighten us. 

I am fairly certain that Rafi was just being terrible and telling bad dad jokes and generally being his Rafi self and the funniest thing I could think of was changing all of his things to shrews. My brain is amazing.

He definitely found the video and posted that/changed his sig himself in an attempt to make himself a badass shrew.

Oh man I haven't laughed this hard in a while.