Statistics Project

Urza

Hello all, I would like to poll the community to gather statistics on player current age and time played. I am doing so for a statistics class project. I would appreciate your response in helping complete the project. I am looking to collect a sample of at least thirty responses. You can either choose to post them publicly or send them via private messenger.

First, if you are interested in engaging in this statistics project let me thank you for your time. Next let me make you all aware than I do NOT want you to divulge any information about yourself or your account other than your current age and time played. We are all aware of the potential for the misuse and abuse of personal information. I do not wish to see others become victim to this behavior so please respond accordingly.

To obtain the amount of time played I would like you to visit the Runescape website and click sign-in on the top right corner. Once signed on click on your user-name in the top left corner to take you to your runemetrics profile. From here you will see your account statistics displayed. Under your user-name it will show the amount of days and hours played since account creation. I would like you to record the amount of days played and round to the nearest day.

For example:

If your time played reads 286 days and 12 hours then you will round to 287 days.

If your time played read 476 days and 7 hours then you will round to 476 days.

Please use this format when submitting both of these variables:

Player age: # years

Time played: # days

For anonymous survey responses please use the Google Forms here.

Thank you again for your time and cooperation!

Edited by U rza
Added a Google Form for anonymous survey responses.

I added a Google Form for anonymous submissions. The link is a little hard to see against the white background which I'll have to change that later.

Praise the Lord! Trying to get rid of that white background on a phone was a nightmare! I am looking for as many responses as i can get guys! I only have a couple more days.

Eyyy, thanks for the love shep! I just did a count and need 18 more submissions. I thought by putting something on Reddit I would have the 30 required in no time.

Not a bad pool! Curious what your data will show.  Is this for regular stats or econometrics? I remember sophomore year of college doing a correlation analyses of the age of a movie and it's IMBD rating controlling for the number of votes for my econometrics class.  Here we are 10+ years later and I couldn't even tell you what a regression is. 

If you're curious, at the time the result was no meaningful correlation. My hypothesis had been that higher ratings would be skewed towards newer movies.  

I'm barely holding onto the knowledge I picked up four weeks ago! I feel like there is little to no explanation behind the mechanics of these statistical methods. They just basically point and say do!

Alright guys here is my statistics paper. Be forewarned that I am new to statistics so I probably messed something up here. If you have any feedback I would appreciate anything you have to offer.

Runescape Statistics Project

Edited by U rza
Link edit
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 7:18 PM, U rza said:

Alright guys here is my statistics paper. Be forewarned that I am new to statistics so I probably messed something up here. If you have any feedback I would appreciate anything you have to offer.

Runescape Statistics Project

I would z-score the age and time played data and drop anything with an absolute value of ~2.8. 

Your data includes someone close to 0 years old and someone that is 92.  Also the person that claimed 5000+ days played listed their age as 26.  5164 days played is over 14 years played time.   Part of statistics and data science is data validation and cleansing.  These mentioned items could happen for a number of reasons, such as typos when keying in the survey, intentional deception, or they could just be legitimate extreme outliers (though I have a hard time believing a 4 month old has 45 days played, ha).   It's always important to do data validation, but especially important when gathering user reported data due to increased propensity for noise.  It looks like you noticed the previously mentioned items but you didn't include how you handled it in your modeling.  You mentioned you use linear regression to see if there was a relationship, failing to remove these outliers impacts the linear model's accuracy.  I bet if you pulled those mentioned items out your residuals would improve. 

Edited by Ewhenn

It makes plenty sense to actually remove these outlirers for the reasons mentioned. The parameters of the assignment did not call for any data revision, but I strongly considered it.

Even if you're handing that in, for funsies you should zap the 3 obviously bogus inputs that Ewhenn pointed out and give us some more accurate data on ourselves!