Elder Rune vs Anima Core of Zaros

Red Rat17

I just got 90 defense last night, which opens up a lot of new armors for me to use. The one that seems easiest to make is Elder Rune, especially as I'm working towards 90 smithing. That said, in looking at the Wiki, it seems like Elder Rune is only a slight upgrade over my current Anima Core of Zaros gear, and with Elder Rune being degradeable, I'm not sure if I should worry about making/buying a set, or still with the non-degradable for the time being, at least till I get into higher level PVM. I just got 90 atk, str, and def if that helps. Thanks for any advice :) 

15 minutes ago, Red Rat17 said:

That said, in looking at the Wiki, it seems like Elder Rune is only a slight upgrade over my current Anima Core of Zaros gear

While it has higher defense, you will notice it lacks any "style bonus" (in addition it cannot be augmented, which probably doesn't matter to you yet but will eventually). Elder Rune is tank gear, and is a straight downgrade from your Zaros. If you want to upgrade from Zaros pick up Masterwork, but if you don't already have a level 90 weapon I'd suggest investing in that first. 

33 minutes ago, Beric said:

While it has higher defense, you will notice it lacks any "style bonus" (in addition it cannot be augmented, which probably doesn't matter to you yet but will eventually). Elder Rune is tank gear, and is a straight downgrade from your Zaros. If you want to upgrade from Zaros pick up Masterwork, but if you don't already have a level 90 weapon I'd suggest investing in that first. 

I'm working my way in invention, so I'm finally seeing the benefits of augmenting, and they are massive, good point :) 

Based on your response to this, I'm assuming you mean a Scythe or Drygores rather than Elder Rune weaponry, and that's a good point. I'm making a thread of my goals, and those are actually listed. Good points. 

Would there ever be a benefit to tank armor? The only thing I can think of is raids, but because the clan is so large, I'm assuming others would have more appropriate tanking items lol. 

Achto from Raids is pretty much the only tank armour you'd ever want, and even that has fairly limited use. 

Your T80 DPS gear will get you most places. 

I use virtus/sirenic/trimmed masterwork for mage/range/melee and i don't think I'll ever need anything else, I do own achto and regular masterwork for times where I want to save gp on upkeep cost