Looking to finally improve at PvM/EOC

thegreatwha

You're welcome @Episel :P 

I'm working on getting into PvM stuff, finally. I wanted to get your quick suggestions, just to start off in the right direction. 

I'm basically using t75 gear atm, with some t80 weapons: Glaives for range and Cywir wand and orb for mage. I have fury blades for melee, but using my sunspear for 2-handed. 

I'm not doing any serious bossing, nor have I taken specific time yet to work on technique. I've been thinking of practicing very basic stuff with Vindicta and also with Helwyr. However to do this more consistently and in a more cost-effective manner, I figured to get my gear to t80 as well.

However I can imagine there is a bit of a ladder in all this. Like, I'm thinking start with Gwd2 bosses, and then work on x-technique in preparation for the next tier boss. I've also never done any Elite Dungeons, if that means anything.

There are also ability bars as well as keybind set-ups and preferred interface display set-ups.

I am very open to your suggestions.  Thanks for your help folks, and cheers. :cheers:

guthix staff for magic. spec does fat damage and applies affinity which increases your accuracy. also get enhanced Excalibur if you haven't already 

@thegreatwha I am just lost for words! Let’s gooo!!! In terms of gear though, it is definitely a good idea to strive for t80+ everything. T80 armour and t90 weapons can take you pretty much everywhere as well. Always try and prioritize buying better weapons over better armour. And once you get to t80 all armour, you can quite literally use that armour for everything. 

in terms of a bossing kind of tier list, I feel like gwd2 is a great place to start. You can also try elite dungeons in a group and they aren’t too bad as well but I’d start with something like vindicta, twin furies, or helwyr first. You can then try harder things as you feel comfortable such as Nex and Araxxi. 

Doing good dps is also very important for all bosses. And having a good ability rotation will really help in killing bosses faster and easier. I’d prefer to go over that with you in discord though since there’s A LOT of information for me to go through! 

I absolutely can’t wait to have you on the team!!!! Let’s get it! :D 

What even is t75 gear :ohwell:

T80 body/leg armor is good enough. I think anima core of seren and zamorak for mage and ranged respectively are cheaper than virtus and pernix, again respectively. Eventually you might want the virtus and pernix but if money is tight then can stick with anima core. DO NOT REFINE THE ANIMA CORE.

For helm, zuriel's hood or morrigan's coif for mage or range respectively or virtus or pernix is good. DO NOT UPGRADE THE HOOD OR COIF.

Boots are not important, don't be like poor people and wear "J's on your feet". Silverhawk boots work fine. Maybe get elite ranger boots and blast diffusion boots when nothing else to spend money on. Masterwork (and trimmed masterwork?) boots are cheap so might as well get those.

Gloves cinderbane

Weapon dragon rider lance (or Masuta's warspear if really poor) until scythe, any staff until nox (use air surge at all times), shadow glaives work until ascensions (use ruby bakriminel bolts(e) at all times if you have crossbows).

Make sure you have amulet of souls and you have corruption blast/shot unlocked

Use Berserker/Maniacal/Reckless auras if you can, they make a big difference. Also use supreme or elder overloads, the dps boost per gp spent is good. Don't be some lame fuck using holy overloads at bosses. Also feel free to use Scrimshaw of Elements/Cruelty/Vampyrism or some of the god book actives (probably not sara/arma those are expensive), they aren't always worth the cost but the cost is low anyways.

You can learn PvM stuff at any boss or even at no boss at all. You don't really learn a boss so much as you learn how to do combat. Master yourself, master the enemy. GW2 and ED123 might challenge you enough to want to improve.

Keybinds and interface don't matter, whatever works for you. My interface has the bars in separate parts of the screen so that I can look at a particular part of the screen to look for information and quickly find it. This is not popular, apparently a lot of people like to stack their bars together. I don't need to process all of the information at once. For my keybinds everything that gets used a lot is on the left/top left, F1-5, `12345 qwerty asdfg zxc, things on the right side are rarely used buttons or "rows" of buttons for a combination (equip mainhand and offhand melee weapons for bladed dive, for example).

Action bar doesn't matter if you use manual but you probably shouldn't use manual since you can manually do things while on revolution. You don't "turn on" manual, you "turn off" revolution. If you revolution, have sonic wave/needle strike/cleave near front of bar and dragon breath/snipe/sever are also important as well as corruption shot/blast. Other abilities don't really matter much unless you do major inputs for combat like using a Flanking switch (basic stun Impact/Binding Shot/Backhand become most powerful basic rather than useless filler), switching between 2h and dual wield (add access to use Cleave+Decimate for 188% every 4th ability or Sonic Wave/Concentrated Blast or Dazing Shot/Needle Strike for 157% every 3rd ability), or walking Combust/Fragmentation Shot to double their damage.

No matter how you arrange your bar, you can't get past the fact that ranged revo only has Needle Strike (or Dazing Shot if 2h), Snipe, Corruption Shot, and Fragmentation Shot before all other abilities suck ass. Mage revo only has Sonic Wave (don't revo Concentrated Blast), Dragon Breath, Corruption Blast, and Combust before all other abilities suck ass. Melee doesn't suck as much ass but it just has Cleave (Decimate if dual wield), Sever, Smash, and Slice before all others suck ass (can add Greater Fury in there if you buy it - don't revo regular Fury but do revo Greater Fury).

Use Sunshine/Death's Swiftness/Berserk when you want to do tons of damage, which is basically all the time but don't use Sunshine when Vindicta is 20k health lol save the adrenaline and use something else. Inside those ultimates use adrenaline potion and use the major thresholds, Wild Magic and Asphyxiate for magic, Snap Shot and Rapid Fire for ranged, Assault and Hurricane (Destroy if dual wield) for melee. You can fit in 2 wild magics or snap shots in ultimates if you're quick to get the first one out. You can fit in 2 of both wild magic and asphyxiate if you have a switch with Planted Feet perk on it.

Speaking of perks, for armor get Enhanced Devoted 3, Impatient 3, Crackling 3, and Biting 2 (3 only pays for itself after earning ~15B if 1% damage boost translated to 1% more kills, more likely after earning 30B+, up to you if you value PvM performance/pretentiousness over having GP). For weapons get Aftershock 3 on mainhand (have to unlock from GW2 zaros rep) and Precise3Equilibrium2 on offhand, 2h holds 2 gizmos so just both of those. Can do Precise5 if you already have Armadyl comps or eventually get Precise4Equilibrium2 but the upgrade doesn't really matter.

For other perks, as I said you want Planted Feet on a switch weapon (Abyssal wand for mage or Shadow Glaive for ranged), really you want Planted Feet+Aftershock 1 which is 100% chance with 3 Cywir and 2 Ilujankan components (need GW2 seren and zaros rep). You equip Planted Feet weapon solely for doing Sunshine or Death's Swiftness and then immediately switch back, just like you should with Ring of Vigour. Flanking 3 is nice eventually but costs like 40-50m on average and I know someone spent like 1b+ before getting it, Flanking 2 is not good and if you ask me if Precise4Flanking2 is good I will murder you in your sleep. Lunging 3 is okay for melee if you get into switchscape and want an offhand drygore (or dyed t92 if you become some pretentious elitist) just for having the perk, only equip it for casting Dismember. That reminds me, of course, Strength skillcape perk is very important for melee, it is like 4-6% dps boost or something like that, just have it on your max cape at all times never be without it.

1 hour ago, Veggie said:

That reminds me, of course, Strength skillcape perk is very important for melee, it is like 4-6% dps boost or something like that, just have it on your max cape at all times never be without it.

Where would you say the range skillcape perk falls in terms of importance? 

2 hours ago, Beric said:

Where would you say the range skillcape perk falls in terms of importance? 

The answer I want to give is low to none since you shouldn't be ranging, but I do typically recommend ranged for starting out PvM.

If we look at Onyx Bolt (e) spec, it is ~2-2.5% DPS boost and 20% of that is ~0.4-0.5% DPS boost. Ruby Bakriminel (e) is what should be used but it's hard to calculate what the DPS boost of it is, but we can presume it is higher than Onyx Bolt (e). I'm not comfortable with assuming that Ruby Bakriminel (e) would be greater than a 10% boost though, so I'd say ranged cape might make up to a 2% DPS boost, but probably somewhere between 1-2%.

Veggie's info is all good, only thing I'd add is focusing on one combat style since it costs billions of gp to get max gear in any style

It's all very helpful. Thank you everyone for your input. :) I'll be sure to upgrade my status as I make adjustments and continue on course. 

10 hours ago, Veggie said:

Also if you want some criticism on spiritual warriors you can post your setup and stuff

I'll get around to that. I did notice your set-up as shown in your personal interface example, if that's enough. I see you have all the Ghost Hunter Gear (minus the body piece) and the Salve Amulet (e) . I can't tell exactly which Aura you are using. I see cinderbanes, a garb and boots of subjugation, LoD, and a nox staff. I am not sure what that is in your pocket slot. That about right? That's enough of a suggestion in itself, if the image still stands today. You are also in your own Slayer dungeon i'm assuming, something I have as well - 5 Spiritual Warriors. And yeah, feel free to critique.

W4gyGKE.png

So there's the image above. I'm going to be making many adjustments and trying out different things here and there. The more interfaces I see from experienced pvm'ers suggests some type of set-up with links or binds to each style, switch, and all, respectively (you mentioned above there are thresholds and other abilities for each combat style which are significant, as opposed to non-significant ones not mentioned). I figure once things are in their place (keybinds set-up, and all - I am taking your comment into consideration in having most things being left-hand accessible), then I'll be spending a lot, if not most, of my time working on basic command and control (working on a dummy or a simple boss like Vindy or Helwyr). I figure there is no point in going after a more advanced boss until I get this part of me ironed out. But in this time I can work on getting funds for weapon upgrades (or get a drop?). I still need to invest in things like a few Ability codexes for corruption shot and blast, and other things.

13 hours ago, Episel said:

I absolutely can’t wait to have you on the team!!!! Let’s get it! :D 

I look forward to having fun with everyone, once things balance themselves out. :)

3 hours ago, thegreatwha said:

I can't tell exactly which Aura you are using.

Penance. 

I am not sure what that is in your pocket slot.

One of these

And yeah, feel free to critique.

Having only four lines of chat visible is probably not going to work for you. 

1 hour ago, Beric said:

Penance. 

Ty. :) 

1 hour ago, Beric said:

One of these

and ty. :D 

1 hour ago, Beric said:

Having only four lines of chat visible is probably not going to work for you. 

And what exactly do you mean? Are you saying this with regard to group bosses like Voraogo, AOD, and Raids - or just in general?

9 minutes ago, thegreatwha said:

And what exactly do you mean? Are you saying this with regard to group bosses like Voraogo, AOD, and Raids - or just in general?

Just in general. I couldn't imagine keeping up with and participating in CC while only seeing four lines of text. Makes it really easy to miss guests trolling and stuff, too. 

41 minutes ago, Beric said:

Just in general. I couldn't imagine keeping up with and participating in CC while only seeing four lines of text. Makes it really easy to miss guests trolling and stuff, too. 

I figured as much, and do agree. It's something for sure I'll take into consideration when adjusting the interface. :) 

59 minutes ago, thegreatwha said:

Ty. :) 

and ty. :D 

I know at AoD there’s a part of the fight where you have to know which minions die in which order. If you only have a few lines of text you’ll miss the minion death messages and even alt1 could possibly miss the order. That’s just one pvm example.

8 minutes ago, Episel said:

I know at AoD there’s a part of the fight where you have to know which minions die in which order. If you only have a few lines of text you’ll miss the minion death messages and even alt1 could possibly miss the order. That’s just one pvm example.

Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks for the pointer. :D

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 2:55 AM, Veggie said:

Also if you want some criticism on spiritual warriors you can post your setup and stuff

Considering this, I have a few questions for you Veg. First, why would you recommend Spiritual Warriors? As for my usual gear set-up, I generally stick with melee 2h with a mage switch for flying armadyle followers. My armor was just general, however I do have the ghost hunting outfit which I see you wearing in your earlier pic. I also use an auto alchemizer thing. Also, I suppose aggression potions are necessary to some degree, due to the monster aggression disappearing after a time.  Whatever the set-up, I'd hope that this is a completely afk experience. As always, your feedback is appreciated.

2 hours ago, thegreatwha said:

Considering this, I have a few questions for you Veg. First, why would you recommend Spiritual Warriors? As for my usual gear set-up, I generally stick with melee 2h with a mage switch for flying armadyle followers. My armor was just general, however I do have the ghost hunting outfit which I see you wearing in your earlier pic. I also use an auto alchemizer thing. Also, I suppose aggression potions are necessary to some degree, due to the monster aggression disappearing after a time.  Whatever the set-up, I'd hope that this is a completely afk experience. As always, your feedback is appreciated.

I would recommend them because they're like 4.5-6m profit/hr while being as AFK as you might hope for. For the most part all you have to do is drink aggroverload and super prayer renewal and activate enhanced excalibur and ancient elven ritual shard. Using melee and having to switch defeats the purpose, you either mage or range, with mage being better because of dragon breath.

• 1 month later...

IMO, Armor at t75 or even 70 is fine your first upgrade I would say is going for t87 uhm, sorry Reventant weps with Ancient wep upgrade and augment or even t90 Like drys would be a first good goal