Best workflow for new player

Gazelien

Hi,

So I am a new player of runecapse. I watched some guides on youtube. I decided to level my melee. I currently have a combat level somewhere in the 20's. I obtained this mainly by grinding 'monsters'. I am not sure how to proceed.

Should I focus on getting my melee level to max level? Or should I stop and focus on a new skill? I am mainly wondering what I should focus on as a new player and what the best 'workflow' is.

I certainly would not suggest sitting and leveling melee (or any skill) to max right off the bat. 

A great thing for a new player to do is just quest. They really broaden the game for you by unlocking new cities, training methods, monsters, weapons, items, teleports, and abilities. All while giving experience rewards on completion, which at your starting level will add up to a significant boost. 

Hey Gazelien, welcome to Runescape! I personally love Protoxx guides on Youtube. He breaks down some of the best training methods available for each skill. For combat, he has the following videos, but he has guides for almost every skill out there: 

Melee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkQxQVOWEhE&t=451s

Ranged: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAQnrq3B2UA&t=615s

Magic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9J7SxdH7-Q&t=780s 

I STRONGLY advise to start questing! You can look up guides for quests if you are struggling or get stuck, but quests give tons of experience early on, and give items that help massively later on. The Waterfall Quest for example can get you up to 28 combat right off the bat. 

Here's an optimized guide for questing, starting with the lowest level, all the way to the quest cape! https://runescape.wiki/w/Quests/Strategy

Ultimately, I would not recommend setting your goal to "max" a skill right now. Enjoy the game. Runescape is about exploring, and trying new things, and learning what you enjoy. For example, I hate Slayer and Farming, but some people love them. I love Cooking and Mining, while some people hate it. Explore the world. Ask some people in the clan to hang out, get to know your clannies. Runescape is what you make it. There's no "right" pathway to take. :) 

I added you as a friend in game. If you ever want to hang out hit me up! I'll show you around. 

Edited by Red Rat17

Thanks for all the replies. I actually know the guides of Protoxx. I watched the melee guide and then i started grinding at spots he advised. So now I am at combat level somewhere in the 20ish.

But I see that the general consensus is to start questing. So that is what I will start doing now for the most part. I know there are guides for them, because I needed them already for some quests.

Edited by Gazelien
46 minutes ago, Gazelien said:

I know there are guides for them, because I needed them already for some quests.

If you're more of a reader than a video guide watcher - the official Wiki has some nice succinct "quick guides" that cut out all of the extraneous info. 

And you can easily pull those up from in game by typing: /wiki Quest Name quick guide 

18 minutes ago, Drake said:

Crocodile Tears is 5th from last 

How is he going to stay alive in the Desert?

Packs of waterskins :P 

On 3/3/2020 at 4:36 AM, Red Rat17 said:

Here's an optimized guide for questing, starting with the lowest level, all the way to the quest cape! https://runescape.wiki/w/Quests/Strategy

I saw that in this guide the Waterfall quest is very high in the list. However, it seems a pretty difficult quest if I read the description:

None, but you must be able to survive some attacks from various aggressive mobs, including Skeletons (level 58) and fire giants (level 85)

So how should I read that guide? I will not be able to survive there with my combat level in the 20'ish.

Edited by Gazelien
13 hours ago, Gazelien said:

I saw that in this guide the Waterfall quest is very high in the list. However, it seems a pretty difficult quest if I read the description:

None, but you must be able to survive some attacks from various aggressive mobs, including Skeletons (level 58) and fire giants (level 85)

So how should I read that guide? I will not be able to survive there with my combat level in the 20'ish.

31 minutes ago, Red Rat17 said:

I just did it last night with my level 3. You have to be tactical, but its doable :) 

If you're talking about waterfall quest the mobs wont hit over 1000 so you cant be 1 hit ( and if im honest i doubt they can hit upwards of 600) you can do it naked at lvl 3 with zero issues

Something else to mention is that NPC combat levels don't really make any sense, so take them all with a giant grain of salt. 

• 3 years later...

The wiki has SOOO much great information. As already stated here, the quick guides for quest are invaluable. Add another vote for questing here. Maxing is a long way from here. I personally try to level my skills somewhat evenly. Take them all to 30, take them all to 40, take them all to 50. All the while doing quests sprinkled in when I've met the requirements of said quests. This allows me to NOT become burnt on doing just one thing. It also allows you time to explore, learn and grow as a player/character.