PvM newb

Ozark32

With a huge shoutout to bgh, I now have t90 weapons and t80+ armor. I'm finally going to get into some bossing, so I was wondering where a good place to start would be. I'm also completely ignorant about perks as far as what's most efficient, but I have about 50-60m i'm willing to blow to get my gear perked out until I get a better cash stack. Help would be greatly appreciated in both areas, along with any other random tips you have to offer. Let's get rich!

What kind of PvM have you done before? I feel like doing the different gwd2 bosses is a great place to start. The mechanics of the bosses there aren't punishing enough to one-shot you but punishing enough where you can still die quite easily if unprepared. You can try doing bosses like Helwyr and Vindicta in a duo and as you get more comfortable you can attempt them solo. Helwyr in particular is a great boss to go to to get the hang of using defensives such as freedom and resonance. As you get comfortable with gwd2 bosses you can probably start doing trio elite dungeons and start moving up to things such as duo Nex and Araxxor. I don't recommend doing gwd1 bosses because they are extremely easy and you won't really learn anything from fighting them.

In terms of perks, good basic perks would be those such as precise and equilibrium on your weapons. Due to archaeology, the new best-in-slot perks are in extremely high demand and are super expensive right now. So if you're planning on spending around 50-60m I would most likely avoid the aftershock perk for now. For armour perks, crackling 3, mobile, devoted, enhanced devoted, and impatient are all very good perks that are pretty cheap and are pretty standard for all PvM (excluding the newer perks that just released of course). 

For any tips I have for improving, I guess the most important thing would be to just practice and not get discouraged. Learning to PvM well is not something that happens over night and it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. So if you are struggling at any point along the way don't worry! It's normal! Just get back up and try again and you'll get it! :D Also there are so many great guides out there that you should definitely check out that go over things like ability rotations, gear advice, boss mechanics, etc. I personally think TheRsGuy on youtube does a fantastic job making guides that can help everyone learn a boss so make sure to give him a look if you haven't already. 

If you ever need any PvM tips or advice don't be shy to shoot me a message in-game, on the forums, or in Discord. I'll try my best to help! I can't wait to see you become an awesome PvMer! 

I read nothing Episel typed but starting at vindicta and learning how to swap to your shield and resonance the ranged hit is a very useful thing to learn early.

pick melee or ranged and only buy stuff for that combat style, mastering 1 combat style will make you way more useful in group encounters and you can use either of those styles at any boss!!

On 5/1/2020 at 7:10 PM, Episel said:

What kind of PvM have you done before? I feel like doing the different gwd2 bosses is a great place to start.

I've messed around at gwd2 a little bit, but just on revolution tanking everything lol. Needless to say the kills weren't pretty and it was also with worse gear. I'll definitely get started at vindy and get some practice rotations in on lumby dummies!

On 5/1/2020 at 7:10 PM, Episel said:

For armour perks, crackling 3, mobile, devoted, enhanced devoted, and impatient are all very good perks that are pretty cheap and are pretty standard for all PvM (excluding the newer perks that just released of course). 

Do you recommend mobile for all styles or mainly melee because of bd switches? I know movement abilities become core at higher level encounters.

On 5/1/2020 at 7:23 PM, SirColin said:

I read nothing Episel typed but starting at vindicta and learning how to swap to your shield and resonance the ranged hit is a very useful thing to learn early.

For sure doing vindy. Is it better to key bind the shield switch or just click it out of the inventory?

On 5/1/2020 at 9:20 PM, shallow said:

pick melee or ranged and only buy stuff for that combat style, mastering 1 combat style will make you way more useful in group encounters and you can use either of those styles at any boss!!

Rockin' scythe and mw, so melee it is!

On 5/2/2020 at 3:29 AM, ms jenni said:

Shoot me a message if ever want to pvm!

Let's get it!

27 minutes ago, Ozark32 said:

Do you recommend mobile for all styles or mainly melee because of bd switches? I know movement abilities become core at higher level encounters.

I’d say getting mobile on all styles is pretty good. The only time I would say not to put mobile on your equipment would actually be for melee once you buy the greater barge codex. This is because with this ability you want to be able to gain adrenaline from your barge to help you pull off a good berserk rotation where you can bleed a channeled ability such as assault. You would usually take another piece of armour as a switch for mobile, such as mobile on malevolent greaves or something when you’re trying to move around quicker. In terms of magic and ranged, you can put mobile on the equipment for both of those styles and be good to go.

3 hours ago, Ozark32 said:

Is it better to key bind the shield switch or just click it out of the inventory?

Definitely try to keybind shield and weapons

I am in your shoes so I can relate. If budget is an issue I would recommend sticking to 1 style for the time being. Twin furies are the easiest GW2 boss, I would recommend them until you get the hang of it then work your way up to Vinny and Greg. I am currently passed this stage and now I'm learning to do some Nex. Also, personal preference but I'm waiting to unlock ancient archeology before I spend money perking my gear.

saberkiller2
On 5/1/2020 at 8:23 PM, SirColin said:

That is something I had a big issue getting comfortable with actually switching for the reso.

I would like to learn nex as well as do some gwd2 bosses with people. Id also be doing gwd1 bosses for pets so if anyone would like to come then please do (as long as I'm doing most of the damage ;) )

I recently got into PVM. I started with Vindy and the Twin Furies. Twin Furies are a good boss to get into learning basic mechanics. I moved into Rax and died a ton of times before learning how to get through. I still struggle a ton which is why I use a yak with extra food. If you wanna duo some GWD2 bosses, let me know.

On 5/5/2020 at 1:05 PM, Xyrooo said:

waiting to unlock ancient archeology before I spend money perking my gear.

this costs like 2m or less in the ge

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 12:05 PM, Xyrooo said:

Twin furies are the easiest GW2 boss,

*remembers that I've died about 20 times at them* oh yeah definitely the easiest :P

But I was in your shoes a while back. The way I did it was as follows:

0. COME TO EVENTS. Even if a boss was further down my list, I would always offer to go, if no other reason to see how others did the boss :)

1. GWD 1 Bosses/Corp with 1 or 2 people- Get used to taking higher damage.

2. GWD 2 (Vindicta, Greg) with groups- again, just higher damage, and learning to eat food via keybinds rather than inventory clicking.

3. GWD 2 (Helwyr and Twin Furies) you start to learn mechanics. Helwyr teaches you defensive, and Twin Furies get you used to quick reaction times.

4. Raids/Elite Dungeons ( I am here) (AOD and Liberation of Mazcab)- Learning the mechanics takes time, but there are multiple roles to fill, which you can find something you enjoy. For example, I like pet tanking at Beastmaster, and CPRing at Yakamaru. But there are more roles to learn :)

5: Soloing bosses: Once I get bored with raids, I'll start soloing bosses. Again, starting with GWD 1/2, then Nex, and eventually working my way to Rax.

6. Highest level bossing: Vorago, Solak, Telos: idk when I'll reach this tier. I got the items, but I still consider myself too much of a noob when using abilities to be relied on in a team for these bosses. From what I can tell, ability usage is extremely important for all these fights.

Basically, work your way up from just fighting higher hitting bosses, then get used to using abilities in fights, then get used to clicking quickly, and then start putting it all together :)

Hope you have fun, and don't ever feel bad asking questions to those who know the boss really well :)

https://discord.gg/6djqFVN

This is the invite link to the PVM encyclopedia discord.

The greatest collection of information youll ever find about combat, all boss encounters and PVM as a whole.

I'd highly suggest anyone interested in the above join it and give it a look to see stuff yourselves.

I constantly like to look at tidbits in my spare time and learn some good things.

Hey man i am a pvm noob too. 

Have been struggling so i decided to get a nox scythe and masterwork set (50% dmg reduction) so i can make a lot more mistakes when bossing.

We can visit vindicta together sometimes :) the fanciest vindicta guide on yt can be found by googling vindicta turbo guide.