Sign in to follow this  
Kristi

Invention Halp

Kristi

Who can help explain Invention to me? I did the tutorial and I don't know what to do next. I've read the RS wiki and I've watched a few youtube invention guides and I still don't know how to start or what to do after completing the tutorial. It just sounds way too complicated and kinda turns me off even wanting to level it. If anyone could help me make sense of it, I would be grateful

Xyrooo

Haha yeah invention is like that early on, but it's a very easy skill. I'll try and make this as easy as possible. 

Step 1) See if your items can be augmented by looking at the Wiki

Step 2) Augment said item

Step 3) Charge your charge pack with divine charges 

Step 4) Once your item is lvl 12 you have 2 options 1. Disasemble the item, this DESTROYS your item and gives u more xp 2. You can siphon your item to gain xp and retain the item.

Rinse and repeat

The more levels you gain the more blueprints you can unlock at the invention guild. I would recommend doing this as they give u a good amount of free xp. 

Your items can reach lvl 12 by using them, for example a weapon/armour need combat to level up, a picaxe you must mine etc...

I am no invention expert but I am lvl 100 invention and this is how I do it. 

Cole

Starting, buy a like 10 hand cannons and 10 augmentors

Kill a bunch of waterfiends till all 10 handcannons are level 10.. and then ^ do what xyroo said. @Kristi

Deathcon
5 minutes ago, Kristi said:

Who can help explain Invention to me? I did the tutorial and I don't know what to do next. I've read the RS wiki and I've watched a few youtube invention guides and I still don't know how to start or what to do after completing the tutorial. It just sounds way too complicated and kinda turns me off even wanting to level it. If anyone could help me make sense of it, I would be grateful

The TL;DR to take away is basically this:

T60+ tools (Dragon+)

T70+ armor and weapons 

These can be "augmented" with an "Augmentor" ( You buy these on the GE ) and use them on  the items to make them augmented.

Augmented items use Divine Charge ( you'll need to either make your own charges or buy "Divine charges" off the GE )

Early on you wont be able to level items very high, some cheap methods a lot of people use are augmenting black salamanders to level quickly early on.

Basically you destroy these items and break them down into components and get XP for it, think of it as taking things apart to see how they work and getting a bunch of materials left over.

You can make Gizmo shells ( empty gizmos; you take components you get from taking things apart and stuff the random components into the gizmos for "perks", these can range from dumb and pointless to extremely useful and powerful aids to combat and skilling )

You can place 1 gizmo in 1h weapons

You can place 2 gizmos in 2h weapons/tools/armor

You'll need to "research" blueprints to learn how to craft certain things at an invention workbench ( the one you used in the tutorial )

Its common to level items to lv.10 to destroy for components OR level 12 if you do not wish to get rid of the item but want XP

If you were to augment a Crystal staff for example, you would want to level it to 10 ( killing monsters awards  "item XP" which is basically exp towards leveling augmented equipment )

then you would Dissemble it ( you lose the staff/augmentor but retain any gizmos you put in it in exchange for invention XP and components )

If you were to augment some high level expensive equipment you would likely want to level it to 12 to SIPHON it ( use an equipment siphon made or bought ) you exchange the time you spend leveling it to 12 and get the XP but also keep the item in its augmented state, it however returns to a level 1 item ready to level back up.

Kris_Kronkle

during this coming double exp weekend you can use an extreme invention potion to boost your invention allowing you to discover things at those higher levels and you will earn double exp cause dxp weekend. so consider saving any discoveries if you are patient enough until this coming friday

thegreatwha

We also have this thread below, however it is dated. Still a lot of good stuff to chew on. 

Veggie

Buy an 'Augmentor' and a 'Black Samander'. Use the augmentor on the black salamander. Buy harralander tar (ammo for the black salamander). Go kill things for a bit (slayer or whatever) until you hover over the salamander and see it is 'Item Level 5'. Once that happens, disassemble the 'Augmented Black Salamander' (either by right clicking it in inventory or dragging it from inventory to the Invention "lightbulb" in on the inventory interface. This will get you level 22. From there, drink a 'Super Invention potion' at the Invention workbench and use the 'Discovery' option to discover 'Augmented item maximum level 10'. You should also discover 'Augmented armour'. Get another black salamander and get a 'Dinosaurhide body' (probably by crafting it yourself from 'Dinosaur hide' and 'Dinosaur scales') and augment each of those. Level those up to 'Item Level 10', the salamander will be 50% faster to level than the body (disassemble the salamander at 10 and augment a new one). Once you're done with this salamander and body, you'll have the level to discover 'Augmented leg armour' (45). Discover this and then augment Dinosaurhide body and chaps. Repeat until 99/120/200M, changing up the items you augment as you wish (crystal staff is a good cheap magic weapon, there may be other cheap items you can augment etc.).

Additionally, you can augment your regular gear and once you discover 'Augmented item maximum level 15' (60, boostable from level 48 with Extreme Invention potion), you can level up your regular gear to 'Item Level 12' and use an 'Equipment Siphon' on it to get Invention xp. This is around 60-70% the Invention xp rate you'd get with disassembling expendable items as described above.

You can also augment certain tools for skilling when you discover 'Augmented hatchet', 'Augmented pickaxe', 'Augmented mattock', 'Fishing rod-o-matic', 'Pyro-matic', and 'Hammer-tron', all available at level 22 Invention. DO NOT disassemble your augmentable hatchet, pickaxe, or mattock - that is expensive or foolish. However, you can augment and disassemble 'Crystal fishing rod' (locked behind Waterfall Fishing), 'Crystal tinderbox', and 'Crystal hammer'.

The main point of Invention is to put 'Perks' on your armor and weapons. These 'Perks' are available by filling 'Gizmo shells' with certain Invention components. A gizmo can hold 2 perks, but it is based on the components you put into it. There are only a handful of useful perks and you won't have access to the best ones when first leveling up. Ask around if you're interested in getting perks on your gear, but make sure to specify your Invention level and your "budget" or else you may end up with some bad or irrelevant advice. Perks can add in the realm of 30% damage reduction and 20% damage.

Kristi

Thank you everyone for the advice. I levelled using the black salamander

MrElemantal

So is it worth using a second off hand for flanking 3?