Pro's and Con's of Trimmed/Customer Masterwork

Red Rat17

So my rebuild is complete. I currently have a full (unaugmented) Masterwork set, Augmented Pernix set, but not Virtus armor. 

I know that Trimmed Masterwork gives a massive damage reduction and converts damage to a bleed, which can basically let me eat through mistakes while bossing. But is that worth it over augmenting and perking out regular masterwork, or buying a full set of Virtus? I don't mage that much, and want to start trying Araxxor. 

Should I drop the money to upgrade my Masterwork? Or is the upkeep of Trimmed Masterwork not worth it? 

Upgrade and augment it, the upkeep costs really aren't that significant given that there's seemingly more places/scenarios where the armor doesn't degrade than there are where it does. Reaper tasks, Elite Dungeons, slayer - like, what else would you even use it for? Obviously I'm being facetious, but you get my point. 

It's worth it if you tend to melee a lot however you essentially will pay the cost of needing to "waste" the masterwork/custom-fit gloves. (You'd end up wearing cinderbanes or DTB instead)

You need the ENTIRE set to custom-fit it, which enables the slower degradation mechanics.

(Helm/Platebody/Platelegs/Gloves/Boots)

Trimmed masterwork equipment will not degrade in Elite Dungeons.

Vs.

Custom-fitted trimmed masterwork armour:

• Never degrades or loses charge when hit by the current target of a:
    • Slayer task
    • Reaper task
    • Elite dungeon monster/miniboss/boss

By custom-fitting you're forfeiting your ability to ever get rid of it by selling it.

Honestly I wouldn't bother augmenting regular mw, but use it as a stepping stone to custom-fit tmw instead.

Dcon explained it all just wanna say it is 100% worth as a 1-time investment if you plan to melee a lot. (all the way to custom-fit)

if you do upgrade to tmw don't forget to augment it right away 

The thing with trimmed masterwork ( everyone almost always calls it this regardless of if its custom-fit) is that you can only ever die to the bleed from the set effect.

(nothing in this game other than very specific mechanics will overkill you, runescape cannot deal more damage than you have hp)

If you have 1,000 hp the boss can only ever hit 1,000.

What this means is that the set effect will atleast reduce this by 40% leaving you with 600hp, boss cannot hit you higher than current max hp therefore the only way you die is from the bleed effect due to the damage soaking and re-calcing the bleed damage.

Upgrade and augments the upkeep cost isnt even a cost tbh. I've had the armor since release and have never had to fix it or anything.

7 hours ago, Deathcon said:

The thing with trimmed masterwork ( everyone almost always calls it this regardless of if its custom-fit) is that you can only ever die to the bleed from the set effect.

(nothing in this game other than very specific mechanics will overkill you, runescape cannot deal more damage than you have hp)

If you have 1,000 hp the boss can only ever hit 1,000.

What this means is that the set effect will atleast reduce this by 40% leaving you with 600hp, boss cannot hit you higher than current max hp therefore the only way you die is from the bleed effect due to the damage soaking and re-calcing the bleed damage.

This may be the most informational post I've seen about Runescape's mechanics I've seen. Thanks Deathcon! 

You could do what i plan to do :)

I am getting myself a nox scythe and trim masterwork set soon.

My plans for the set is:

1. 105-120 Slayer via afking corrupted creatures and soul devourers   (Does not degrade on task)         

2. Elite dungeon farming or at the very least ed1 token farming           (Does not degrade)    

- Main account will tank with melee, alt acc will throw chinchompas at mobs.

3.  Bossing ( Should be able to pay for degrade costs)

Since i am poor, i will be getting  trim masterwork gloves boots and helm (30% dmg reduction ) first (135m cost) , with cheap perked bandos plate and legs.

Then i will upgrade them as i get more gp.

Edited by Morrobeast