Tell me about your job!

SippySenpai

SippySenpai

Do you or someone you know have a cool ass job? Let’s talk about it! I’m always interested to hear what people do for work. What motivates you to do your job? What’s cool about your job? 

I guess a little about my job! I work in the 3D lab of a local hospital. My job revolves around processing 3D volumes and providing images and measurement for pre and post op patients used in diagnosis and surgical planning. We handle measurements and assist with planning for ortho cases as well as renal donor, liver transplant, and cardiac cases. I’ve been performing everything up to cardiac cases for a little over a year now and have just started training on the cardiac cases. They’re a ton to learn and and surgeons are incredibly picky with what they want, making learning the protocols a little stressful at times, but I’m learning them and doing alright for my first couple weeks. I know in due time I’ll be a major asset to the team, just gotta find my bearings. 

Looking forward to hearing from you all! No worries! You don’t have to give out your exact place of employment or give out company secrets if you don’t want to!

Edited by SippySenpai
Title correction

I'm an assistant/vice principal.  I love the job but don't love my boss.  I feel I'm micromanaged a lot, which makes it difficult for me to actually do my job.  Ideally I'd be working with teachers to better their craft, model lessons, work with students, observe lessons, and lead professional development opportunities, but instead I'm stuck doing silly discipline, being told how to do something as simple as answer the phone, and constantly called to my principal's office so she could share her drama with me.  

Being in the pandemic doesn't make the job any more fun either since everything is remote.  How do you get a little kid to sit in front of a computer all day to actually learn? How do you get parents to make their kids get up for school? There are so many variables at home that make it so hard for my teachers to teach, yet their still expected to teach like everything's normal.  The poor middle school students have a full 6 hour day in front of the screen each day like they're still in regular school.

I do miss being an actual teacher though and the impact I had in the classroom.  I'm also working in an elementary and middle school, whereas my entire teaching career I was working in high schools, so there's quite a learning curve taking place in how I interact with younger kids.  Older kids you're able to rationalize with, but a kindergarten student...yeah there's no way.  I feel like a parent who doesn't know what their doing lol.

You're job sounds fun though, but I can totally see the stress level being high in a hospital.

I work as a Global Cloud Process Owner at a big tech company. Basically, to stay ahead of the competition, my company releases a bunch of stuff that we are not able to internally process through our quoting, booking, and provisioning systems. So its my job to:

1. Determine what can be accommodated and not.

2. Advise on potential solutions/workarounds to those problems that arise

3. If a sales team for a high value customer/deal wants the new product before we're able to fix it, I get to try to work with our provisioning teams and Cloud Framework teams to try to figure out how we can get the order to the customer successfully. 

Basically, customer's and the top brass/product development promise the customer the world with our products. Its my job to make those products actually get to the customer, or tell the Sales team they can't sell it the way they want to. 

Funny thing is, I'm not really that technically inclined. I just know our internal systems well enough and can be creative. So many people want a defined process laid out for every single scenario in life, and my job is the exact opposite of that. 

What motivates me is the challenge. A lot of the time I have to go with my gut on things, and hope for the best. So far, I've been right way more than I've been wrong, which is why I've gotten to where I'm at. 

Coolest part is getting to work with a lot of new technology. I've worked with some cool companies, government entities and more. But really, my teams have been what's kept me around. I've had great bosses so far. I currently don't have a manager, as mine just moved up to her dream job, so I'm crossing my fingers that streak continues. If I have a bad manager, honestly I'd probably start looking elsewhere now that I've acquired the knowledge I have. Covid is hitting us hard as customer's are tightening their spending, and some of my best friends were just RIF'ed. I should be safe, but ya never know. 

SippySenpai

@Hess my mom is a teacher. I can’t imagine trying to get kids to sit down and go through their lesson plans remotely... I was a kid who always skipped out on school when I could but still managed to get good grades. In the same respect though I don’t know that I would want my kid sitting in class, even though they’d probably learn best being present in person. 

@Red Rat17 that sounds like quite the job. I get what you mean. There’s nothing wrong with getting ahead of the technological world or at least trying to keep up to some degree. It’s great to get knowledge where you can, and like you said if you don’t end up with a good manager you can always dip and take your knowledge elsewhere. I recently was put in charge of our “remote access” movement in the office since I’m the “most qualified” in networking and technology even though I only know a little bit along the surface. Sometimes you just gotta fake it til you make it and just finagle it until you can get something to work right. Not a huge fan being in charge of such a large aspect of the department, but nothing wrong with a good challenge and some leadership experience

Thanks for sharing! Wanted to try to get some sorta post going. Leading the charge on a forum post is so nerve wracking haha

I work for a government contractor. We do a variety of things, but most of my work revolves around developing and maturing next-generation missile technology for the US military. I can't go into great detail about most of it, but I feel very fortunate in that this is pretty much exactly what I wanted to do when I decided to pursue aerospace engineering coming out of high school. I have immense respect for the people who make great sacrifices to ensure the safety of our nation, and I'm motivated by the fact that the work we're doing will make their lives safer and easier. 

SippySenpai
6 minutes ago, Cam L said:

I have immense respect for the people who make great sacrifices to ensure the safety of our nation, and I'm motivated by the fact that the work we're doing will make their lives safer and easier. 

Couldn’t agree more. I respect those willing to protect the nation and I appreciate you for looking out for them. Also pretty cool you got to work in exactly what you wanted to. Always nice when you enjoy what you’re doing, especially if it’s what you’ve wanted to do from the start

my job is i work in a sterile facility that works with the local hospitals in utah providing them medical products and surgical equipment, recently we have opened a new department designated for  covid use only, so we have been supplying lots of sterile gowns for the hospitals to use for covid isolation its been insane the last few  months but i love the work <3 

I work as a teacher. Schools were only closed for about 8 weeks here and now we are mostly Covid free and school is business as usual! Yay! 

I am currently teaching 5 - 6.5 year olds. They say and do the funniest things! No day is ever the same. It is an extremely tiring job but it is also very rewarding. 

SippySenpai

@Mrs Dewfus that’s awesome! I totally get it. Working in a hospital myself it’s been crazy! That’s great you’ve been able to help out supplying places with sterile equipment! I know our hospital had a serious shortage for a while but they finally figured it out and got some assistance from the community

@Maggie that’s wild! Only 8 weeks?!? Good to hear though. I wish we could be so lucky as to be covid free! Also I can only imagine! I was a wild little kid. I can only start to imagine some of the things those little kids do. :)

Euphemist RS

I am in training to be a helicopter pilot for the U.S. Army, so I spend most of my days flying around the Southeastern US (when I'm not being roasted by my instructor pilot). It's an awesome job and I'm happy doing it.

SippySenpai

That’s awesome. I’m sure your training is stressful too. I can only imagine what sort of pressure ether put on you. You’ll be an ace pilot in no time I’m sure

• 2 weeks later...
Darkestfeerr

I work as a systems architect for a large financial entity. One weird part of my job is maintaining a secure data connection between the company and the Social Security Administration's DMF (Death Master File), which the institute uses to ensure dead people aren't signing up for mortgages (fraud) :)

I currently work for the university I attend. I work in course development. Currently I am helping a professor overhaul his current course and also fabricate the online course that all the professors will be able to use.

• 2 weeks later...

@Montee1 My buddy currently works for his university that hes attending. Seems like a decent gig. He gets great pay, flexible hours, and seems to get some “discount” if you will off his tuition. Hopefully your job gives you some decent benefits!

I currently work part-time at  Best Buy in the inventory department while I am in school. It's honestly not my favorite job in the world and the holiday season is brutal but they have very good benefits tbh and the employee discount is really good on most items. 

Oh nice! @Nicklee88 I worked at Best Buy a few years before I finished college and moved in to my career. It’s wild around the holidays, but maybe Black Friday won’t be this busy this year with the current pandemic? I worked in computer sales and lemme tell ya, I could only have the exact same conversation with so many people each and every day haha

I'm just a humble checkout assistant at my local SPAR corner shop

Some of my more memorable moments are:

• Having a thief who was so sure that I was in the wrong that he sat on our baskets and waited for the police. He was arrested for drunken disorderly behaviour
  • Being called a terrorist for asking the above to wait outside (we have a three person policy in the store due to Covid)
  • Numerous rude and homophobic comments over ID (or the lack thereof)
  • Having to press the panic alarm because a thief was running towards my supervisor with a bottle raised over his head (also wasn't happy at said supervisor leaving me alone without any means of locking up and any way of knowing if he was ok because he had decided to go after them)
  • Our store being in the paper because one of my colleagues had been spat at

Retired/disabled now but I did twenty years in the military with ten deployments.  I got to play with everything you could shoot and blow up for twenty years.  I also got to step foot in 69 countries in my travels with my Uncle.  It gave me gratitude for things like electricity that is on 24 hours a day, clean water that comes out of a pipe in the house, indoor toilets and stores that are jammed full of food.  Americans are so rich most of us rent another little house to keep the stuff we can't fit into our regular houses.  Also enjoyed a life of adventure doing all the fun things in life.  I was a triathlete, climbed mountains, sailed, did martial arts, flew hang gliders, jumped out of lots of planes, rode fast motorcycles.

Five years ago I developed progressive idiopathic polyneuropathy which is a fancy way of saying my nervous system was dying from the ends back toward the brain.  I was joking with a friend that I used to get my thrills from riding fast motorcycles and jumping out of airplanes now I get them from trying not to fall over in the shower.