RIP RBG

Rafi

Today passed one of the most influential and iconic women of our lifetimes.  

In the 70s Ginsburg was one of the champions of the legal fight for gender equality in the US in both the workplace and the eyes of the court and government. In the 90s she was appointed to the supreme court, and served for 27 years. Her calm and quiet demeanor along with her strong will and incredible grasp of constitutional law led her to become an icon not just in the legal system, but in pop culture and to America as a whole.

The US and the world suffered a great loss today.  

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/18/100306972/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-champion-of-gender-equality-dies-at-87

The first two paragraphs are about the political shitstorm and hypocrisy that are about to take place in the senate, but save the political discussion for the intellectual forum. Ignoring that for now, focus on the rest of the article which talks about her incredible life, the challenges she overcame, and her unprecedented accomplishments. 

2 hours ago, Deathcon said:

I came into this thread wondering what kind of RGB lights of yours died.

Yeah it was almost a real tragedy... sorry I have a sick sense of humor. 

Ginsburg was my favorite liberal justice. I disagree fundamentally with how she thought the Constitution should be interpreted, but the fact she would tailor her opinions towards people like me who wanted clearly defined and well reasoned arguments is going to be something I miss significantly. I don't see that in the modern court with people like Stevens and Sotomayor on the left, or Roberts, Alito, and Thomas on the right. 

I'm not a fan of the SCOTUS in general. But Ginsburg and Scalia were my two favorites. They represented what I thought the court should be: vigorous, and opinionated debate about the constitutionality of laws, while avoiding becoming a tyrant who ruled based on those opinions. 

I'll miss reading her opinions and arguments, even the ones I disagree with. She deserves all the praise coming her way. Rest in peace.