More DPS / next steps

Maxozzy

Hello Gladz,

Im looking for some advice.  I just got 92 prayer, but am realizing Im not doing enough damage for soul split to be as effective as I’d like.  Currently t90 armor and dragon rider lance.  Aside from upgrading to t90 weapons(working on it, kind of broke after prayer grind lol), any items / abilities I should look to acquire to up my DPS? 

Any help would be appreciated ?

1 minute ago, Caedis said:

Hexhunter bow, Terasaur Maul or Inquistor Staff.  Holy overloads.  Augementations.

Gotchu.  Thank you!!!

2 minutes ago, Maxozzy said:

Gotchu.  Thank you!!!

No problem my pleasure.  If your archaeology is high enough it's not hard to get the Spear of Annihilation and build your own t90 weapon.  The tip and some chaotic spikes is all you need.

Have you looked into auras?

https://runescape.wiki/w/User:Ikbenbeter/Auras

- espcially check out the A and B tier

A tier

These auras are useful for most of the game.

• Vampyrism aura is very useful for doing vyrewatch prayer training and can help with slayer or bossing. It's not as powerful as other combat auras but can help you survive early pvm.

B tier

These auras are kinda useful for most of the game and useful for a specific part of the game.

• Brawler aura, Runic accuracy aura and Sharpshooter aura and their upgrades increase accuracy by up to 10% (for supreme). Great for learning bosses or when Maniacal variant is on cooldown. Better than Dark magic when you have below 95% accuracy.
  • Dark magic aura is best in slot on bosses where you have (close to) 100% accuracy and Maniacal variant is on cooldown. Works with any style.
6 minutes ago, Caedis said:

Hexhunter bow, Terasaur Maul or Inquistor Staff.  Holy overloads.  Augementations.

4 minutes ago, Maxozzy said:

Gotchu.  Thank you!!!

Id leave those for very late upgrades.

Getting a better understanding of abilities and how your actionbar is setup if you use Revo would by far be THE BEST ( and cheapest ) upgrade you could have for yourself.

What does your actionbar look like?

Just now, Deathcon said:

Getting a better understanding of abilities and how your actionbar is setup if you use Revo would by far be THE BEST ( and cheapest ) upgrade you could have for yourself.

Yep.  

14 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

I’m unable to figure out how to post a picture apparently, but my action bar is probably pretty elementary.  Don’t feel like I maximize adrenaline usage and damage.  

Right now for 2H:

Auto Revolution: Cleave-Sever- Fury-backhand-punish- dismember

no real rhyme or reason there.  Just what made the most sense at the time.  

then tendrils, assault, AOE attacks and my ults i select.  

Any suggestions? Thanks for the response, by the way.

19 minutes ago, Quiden said:

Have you looked into auras?

https://runescape.wiki/w/User:Ikbenbeter/Auras

- espcially check out the A and B tier

A tier

These auras are useful for most of the game.

• Vampyrism aura is very useful for doing vyrewatch prayer training and can help with slayer or bossing. It's not as powerful as other combat auras but can help you survive early pvm.

B tier

These auras are kinda useful for most of the game and useful for a specific part of the game.

• Brawler aura, Runic accuracy aura and Sharpshooter aura and their upgrades increase accuracy by up to 10% (for supreme). Great for learning bosses or when Maniacal variant is on cooldown. Better than Dark magic when you have below 95% accuracy.
  • Dark magic aura is best in slot on bosses where you have (close to) 100% accuracy and Maniacal variant is on cooldown. Works with any style.

Nice.  This is helpful, thank you.  Rn I do use vampirism which helps me get through pretty simple PVM without using as many heals.  Berserker, maniacal, and relentless are my next steps most likely.  

4 minutes ago, Maxozzy said:

I’m unable to figure out how to post a picture apparently, but my action bar is probably pretty elementary.  Don’t feel like I maximize adrenaline usage and damage.  

Right now for 2H:

Auto Revolution: Cleave-Sever- Fury-backhand-punish- dismember

no real rhyme or reason there.  Just what made the most sense at the time.  

then tendrils, assault, AOE attacks and my ults i select.  

Any suggestions? Thanks for the response, by the way.

I don't believe ability bar order is something worth worrying too much about as long as you're using the strong abilities frequently.

With magic and ranged, that's like 4 abilities (Corruption shot/blast, Dragon breath/Snipe, Sonic wave/Needle strike, and Fragmentation shot/Combust), 2 of those being on 15 second cooldowns and another on a 10 second cooldown and the other on a 5 second cooldown. Within those, it makes the most sense to use the 5 second cooldown ability most often (Sonic wave/Needle strike) and thus have it in the front of the bar if relying completely on Revolution for basics. There are ways to add useful basic abilities to your arsenal, such as bringing a weapon switch to use Flanking with Binding shot/Impact in group encounters and another instance of weapon switching where you bring 2h and dual wield to use both 5 second cooldown abilities to the style (Sonic wave and Concentrated blast; Needle stike and Dazing shot), and for magic you can add in auto attacks using an advanced strategy "4ticking". But without using those advanced strategies, you're basically limited to 3-4 basic abilities. I say 3-4 because Corruption/Fragmentation shot need to be walked to really be "good". And for ranged, Snipe also isn't used properly by Revolution (it sits around for 1 tick longer than if you had manually cast the next ability).

Melee is similar. With 2h, you have Cleave, Sever, Smash, and Dismember You also have Slice, which is much better than the bad ranged/magic basics, but isn't great either. Fury is a good basic ability, but only if it is cancelled early - it's a channeled ability and you don't want to fully channel it, you just want to cast the next ability as soon as you can. You can bypass this limitation by spending a good bit of money, the Mutated Fury Codex turns Fury into a normal ability you can cast with Revolution and add to your "good" abilities list, and it only has a 5 second cooldown so it is amazing. If you insist on meleeing and insist on relying on Revolution for basics, then upgrading would make a big difference. Just like with magic and ranged, you can "add" good abilities to your arsenal with Flanking and with dual wield/2h weapon swapping, but again, those are advanced tactics. You can get a very powerful benefit simply by wearing a Strength skillcape to make Dismember last 60% longer, which may be around a 5% DPS boost. As for ordering, Cleave is the low cooldown "good" ability so that's good to have first unless you decide to get Greater Fury and rely on Revolution for basics in which case that might make a good first ability. Dismember is strong but its damage is over a very long period of time and isn't boosted by Berserk, so while it is something you would want to cast often, it might not be best to have early in the bar. Smash is good, Sever has a long cooldown, and Slice is way better than running out of all of the aforementioned abilities, so maybe having Slice in front of Smash and Dismember and maybe Sever would be a good backstop to prevent you from running out of basics.

But again, as I prefaced, I don't think Revolution order is what would make or break anything at all. Having good perks on your gear would be good. The biggest thing that can be done is having a strategy. With 2h melee, 2 of your thresholds - Hurricane and Assault - do way more damage than anything else. 2-4x as much. If you can use Berserk and then use those 2 thresholds, it's huge damage. But if what you're killing has 5k HP left, that big damage is wasted. Using Ring of Vigor to cast Berserk and using Adrenaline potions (or the better versions) will help you get the adrenaline to cast those 2 thresholds within Berserk. The other big thing that can be done is utilizing the advanced methods outlined above, but again, those are advanced.

Hey Max, awesome to see how quickly you've levelled up your combat levels. 

I still remember hosting a vindicta mass and it was your first or second time at vindy. Now you've overtaken my combat levels haha.

Obviously I am in a very similar position as you, so will be following this thread. 

That being said, I recently got my herblore level up to the required level for overloads, and I have noticed how much extra damage I can deal. Obviously still have a long way to go. But overloads are extremely good! You don't need to get to 96 herb, ive found at portable skilling with all the pulse cores, usually get you 6 level boost

5 minutes ago, Veggie said:

I don't believe ability bar order is something worth worrying too much about as long as you're using the strong abilities frequently.

With magic and ranged, that's like 4 abilities (Corruption shot/blast, Dragon breath/Snipe, Sonic wave/Needle strike, and Fragmentation shot/Combust), 2 of those being on 15 second cooldowns and another on a 10 second cooldown and the other on a 5 second cooldown. Within those, it makes the most sense to use the 5 second cooldown ability most often (Sonic wave/Needle strike) and thus have it in the front of the bar if relying completely on Revolution for basics. There are ways to add useful basic abilities to your arsenal, such as bringing a weapon switch to use Flanking with Binding shot/Impact in group encounters and another instance of weapon switching where you bring 2h and dual wield to use both 5 second cooldown abilities to the style (Sonic wave and Concentrated blast; Needle stike and Dazing shot), and for magic you can add in auto attacks using an advanced strategy "4ticking". But without using those advanced strategies, you're basically limited to 3-4 basic abilities. I say 3-4 because Corruption/Fragmentation shot need to be walked to really be "good". And for ranged, Snipe also isn't used properly by Revolution (it sits around for 1 tick longer than if you had manually cast the next ability).

Melee is similar. With 2h, you have Cleave, Sever, Smash, and Dismember You also have Slice, which is much better than the bad ranged/magic basics, but isn't great either. Fury is a good basic ability, but only if it is cancelled early - it's a channeled ability and you don't want to fully channel it, you just want to cast the next ability as soon as you can. You can bypass this limitation by spending a good bit of money, the Mutated Fury Codex turns Fury into a normal ability you can cast with Revolution and add to your "good" abilities list, and it only has a 5 second cooldown so it is amazing. If you insist on meleeing and insist on relying on Revolution for basics, then upgrading would make a big difference. Just like with magic and ranged, you can "add" good abilities to your arsenal with Flanking and with dual wield/2h weapon swapping, but again, those are advanced tactics. You can get a very powerful benefit simply by wearing a Strength skillcape to make Dismember last 60% longer, which may be around a 5% DPS boost. As for ordering, Cleave is the low cooldown "good" ability so that's good to have first unless you decide to get Greater Fury and rely on Revolution for basics in which case that might make a good first ability. Dismember is strong but its damage is over a very long period of time and isn't boosted by Berserk, so while it is something you would want to cast often, it might not be best to have early in the bar. Smash is good, Sever has a long cooldown, and Slice is way better than running out of all of the aforementioned abilities, so maybe having Slice in front of Smash and Dismember and maybe Sever would be a good backstop to prevent you from running out of basics.

But again, as I prefaced, I don't think Revolution order is what would make or break anything at all. Having good perks on your gear would be good. The biggest thing that can be done is having a strategy. With 2h melee, 2 of your thresholds - Hurricane and Assault - do way more damage than anything else. 2-4x as much. If you can use Berserk and then use those 2 thresholds, it's huge damage. But if what you're killing has 5k HP left, that big damage is wasted. Using Ring of Vigor to cast Berserk and using Adrenaline potions (or the better versions) will help you get the adrenaline to cast those 2 thresholds within Berserk. The other big thing that can be done is utilizing the advanced methods outlined above, but again, those are advanced.

Wow this is very helpful.  Thank you so much!!

I really hadn’t thought about how best to utilize the revo system, and haven’t found anything like this when researching.  These tactics all make sense to me, too.  

str will be my first 99 shortly here so I’ll be able to utilize dismember better.

I have yet to invest in adrenaline potions either.  I haven’t been able to use both thresholds while in berserk.  

I’ve got a much better idea of what to focus on.  huge help again, thank you so much!

6 minutes ago, luke1196 said:

Hey Max, awesome to see how quickly you've levelled up your combat levels. 

I still remember hosting a vindicta mass and it was your first or second time at vindy. Now you've overtaken my combat levels haha.

Obviously I am in a very similar position as you, so will be following this thread. 

That being said, I recently got my herblore level up to the required level for overloads, and I have noticed how much extra damage I can deal. Obviously still have a long way to go. But overloads are extremely good! You don't need to get to 96 herb, ive found at portable skilling with all the pulse cores, usually get you 6 level boost

Yea I jumped in combat but now all of my other levels are behind! Lol  Seems like herblore and invention are some of the non-combat things I’ve gotta focus on now to help my combat.  Hope this thread helps you as much as it is me!