Starting with Araxxor, any tips?

O z z i e

Hey guys,

I recently decided to leave my comfortzone and start doing Araxxor (instead of my usual GWD 1 and 2). I already have like 10 kills with kills around 7:30 minutes.  But I feel like my DPS is very low. 

I'm maxed combat with the following gear:

t0wDqsX.png

In my aura slot I usually use Vampyrism, I will try Supreme Sharpshooter next. 

I have 100m cash left to spend so I cant really upgrade my weapons. Should I maybe change rings? Also, I'm pretty bad with switching gear and weapons during a fight. 

In my inventory I got Overloads, EE, rocktails, super restores, super prayer renewals. Next fight I will bring a shield to resonance the light path attacks.

Any tips to get 6:30 minute kills?

I am a big noob when it comes to rax (4KC, best time is 7 minutes).

I was using Ascensions with ruby bolts.

When you first start, take your time. I am pretty consistently able to avoid the mechanics, and minion path is somewhat of a challenge for me still, but the light path, and the acid path are fairly easy to pass. The final phase is normally where I die, either by the poison jumping around, or just prayer switching fails. That said:

1. How comfortable are you with prayer switching? Being good at it makes the final phase 100x easier. I recently adjusted my presets and think I could do much better now.

2. Do you have onslaught? If so it makes the last half of the final phase much easier. You simply get as close to full health as you can, use an adren pot to get max adren if needed, then onslaught for the kill.

3. Other people with more Rax KC can advise better, but Glaives will make the fight fairly difficult. Having a Defense skillcape in Anachronia is useful too for if you mess up/PK yourself.

4. if you have spiders on your player owned farm, get the totem as well for an extra DPS boost

54 minutes ago, Red Rat17 said:

Glaives will make the fight fairly difficult.

It's actually not that bad. I just got my first spider leg completed after 84 kills using somewhat similar gear as Oz. 

@Zeytin, way to go with your Rax kills so far! You are certainly on the right track.

I can only comment here as a beginner who has only used Range so far. In fact, I'm using a very similar equipment set-up right now. The only difference is I'm doing the inexpensive route using a morrigans coif, nightmare guantlets, and a ring of vigor. I actually do not have the kiln cape, so good for you!  For boots I have armadyle boots. So no big woop there. As for scrimshaws, I'd use  a scrim of cruelty and a ring of vigor (from the dungeoneering reward store). I also use the Sharpshooter Aura - works like a charm. 

For my inventory, I have an overload flask, a few prayer potions, an adrenaline potion, an antipoison++, and an adrenaline urn. You actually don't need an enhanced Excalibur. The rest of my inventory is filled with Swordfish. In fact, I initially and usually use a beast of burden filled with sword fish, but the kill is getting so repetitive now I have finished kills with food only in my inventory and with food left over! This is obviously because I've become more accustomed and familiar to the path mechanics and more efficient with my combat abilities and their execution. I think my highest damage output has been 12k on one attack (on occasion with Tendrils).

I'm averaging between 5 1/2 - 6 minute kills. I personally found the minion path the easiest to do, which actually resulted in my first kill the first time I took the path. Ironically, I find the darkness path the most bothersome, for me. Every path, however, gets a little bit more challenging with increased enrage. So far I've gotten up to 140%. I'm trying to increase that though. The higher the enrage the greater likelihood for drops, right? So gotta keep pushing it.

As for augmented perks I have a pretty standard, if not less than standard set-up. My pernix body has relentless 5, my augmented pernix chaps have Enhanced Devotion 4 (VERY HELPFUL, I can't stress this perk enough).  My off-hand glaive has Equilibrium 4, and my main hand has Precise 6 and Genocidal. 

Also Red Rat mentioned prayer switching. This is tantamount during the final phase. Since you are a beginner like me, put your action bar on revo and put your thresholds on keybinds along with your prayers. Concentrate on switching and let your revo bar do it's thing. Araxxi tries to confuse you using multiple at one time at you. Don' fall for it. Prayer-switch and then respond accordingly. As you get used to responding to Araxxi's abilities, you can then try squeezing in thresholds and timing Deaths Swiftness or as mentioned before by Red "onslaught" (though I personally haven't utilized this onslaught yet). Also, do you have corruption shot unlocked? I strongly recommend this too. Do a review of your ability bars and check to make sure things are in a good place. Perhaps you could share yours with us and we could give you feedback?  

Also, that spider boost from the POF is a huge help too. +1 to Red's comment.

I've been at Rax for a bit over a month. All credit to my 84 kills and my fastest time now of 5:09 via light/poison path, and as well my set-up are credited to Veggie. Him, along with a few tips from AmusedDragon set me up for immediate success. There are probably other factors to consider, but this is what I've done and it's been a lot of fun ever since. 

frankly if you don't use the zerk aura for your style (reckless for range) you will struggle to hit the boss and deal damage. glaives give you good enough accuracy but only tier 80 damage so that on its own makes things difficult. if dps is an issue id stick to doing rax on 2/3 cause minions will dramatically slow kills. learn the boss on the acid or dark path and switch to minion path when you have to for the leg piece

Gear won't be the biggest difference. The weapon tier not being t90 makes about a 10% difference and the lack of accuracy aura makes about a 10% difference (Reckless would be even more). If you don't have any good perks on your gear, that would be another 13% or so you could pick up.

I don't like nitpicking people's action bars, but what's yours? Do you have Corruption Shot unlocked? Onslaught? Are you using Death's Swiftness and if so, when?

The biggest difference will be strategy. Do you have strategies for each path or just making it up as you go?

2 hours ago, Red Rat17 said:

1. How comfortable are you with prayer switching? Being good at it makes the final phase 100x easier. I recently adjusted my presets and think I could do much better now.

I would say im decent with prayer switching. Phase 4 is not really a problem for me. 

2. Do you have onslaught? If so it makes the last half of the final phase much easier. You simply get as close to full health as you can, use an adren pot to get max adren if needed, then onslaught for the kill.

I have seen guides where they advise Onslaught yes but I don't have it. Just checked, its like 40m on GE, so I might buy it!

3. Other people with more Rax KC can advise better, but Glaives will make the fight fairly difficult. Having a Defense skillcape in Anachronia is useful too for if you mess up/PK yourself.

I know I hate the glaives... I took my augmentors off because I wanted to sell them and buy ascensions but then I found out the ascension MH is too expensive for me currently.. Can't wait till I have a better ranged weapon (im camping wyverns for the crossbow).

4. if you have spiders on your player owned farm, get the totem as well for an extra DPS boost

Yes I know, but currently I'm going for 99 farming (only 3 levels to go), so I get leave any elder spiders.

I tried path 1 today (without looking at a guide first) and oh boy... I couldnt keep up with healing myself lol. I will just wait when path 1 is closed to try it again.

1 hour ago, thegreatwha said:

The only difference is I'm doing the inexpensive route using a morrigans coif, nightmare guantlets, and a ring of vigor. I actually do not have the kiln cape, so good for you! 

inexpensive? Arent nightmare gauntlets like 90m ? 

For boots I have armadyle boots. So no big woop there. As for scrimshaws, I'd use  a scrim of cruelty and a ring of vigor (from the dungeoneering reward store). I also use the Sharpshooter Aura - works like a charm. 

For my inventory, I have an overload flask, a few prayer potions, an adrenaline potion, an antipoison++, and an adrenaline urn. You actually don't need an enhanced Excalibur. The rest of my inventory is filled with Swordfish. In fact, I initially and usually use a beast of burden filled with sword fish, but the kill is getting so repetitive now I have finished kills with food only in my inventory and with food left over! This is obviously because I've become more accustomed and familiar to the path mechanics and more efficient with my combat abilities and their execution. I think my highest damage output has been 12k on one attack (on occasion with Tendrils).

Antipoison and adrealine urn might be useful! I will bring them next time thanks. 

I'm averaging between 5 1/2 - 6 minute kills. I personally found the minion path the easiest to do, which actually resulted in my first kill the first time I took the path. Ironically, I find the darkness path the most bothersome, for me. Every path, however, gets a little bit more challenging with increased enrage. So far I've gotten up to 140%. I'm trying to increase that though. The higher the enrage the greater likelihood for drops, right? So gotta keep pushing it.

I find path 1 the hardest.. I tried my first 2 kills on path 1 today and they were horrible with kill times of 9 minutes and a lot food wasted.

As for augmented perks I have a pretty standard, if not less than standard set-up. My pernix body has relentless 5, my augmented pernix chaps have Enhanced Devotion 4 (VERY HELPFUL, I can't stress this perk enough).  My off-hand glaive has Equilibrium 4, and my main hand has Precise 6 and Genocidal. 

Yeah I recently removed the augmentors from the glaives because I was about to sell them. I should probably re-augment them since I wont be buying ascensions anytime soon.

Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, Kris_Kronkle said:

frankly if you don't use the zerk aura for your style (reckless for range) you will struggle to hit the boss and deal damage. glaives give you good enough accuracy but only tier 80 damage so that on its own makes things difficult. if dps is an issue id stick to doing rax on 2/3 cause minions will dramatically slow kills. learn the boss on the acid or dark path and switch to minion path when you have to for the leg piece

I currently only have zerk aura for melee and still a long way to go for ranged. Yeah I will wait for path 2/3 because path 1 is too hard for me right now.

1 hour ago, Veggie said:

Gear won't be the biggest difference. The weapon tier not being t90 makes about a 10% difference and the lack of accuracy aura makes about a 10% difference (Reckless would be even more). If you don't have any good perks on your gear, that would be another 13% or so you could pick up.

I don't like nitpicking people's action bars, but what's yours? Do you have Corruption Shot unlocked? Onslaught? Are you using Death's Swiftness and if so, when?

The biggest difference will be strategy. Do you have strategies for each path or just making it up as you go?

@Veggie https://imgur.com/MACMXxi 

This is my action bar. I know it sucks... I used an action bar from the wiki page once but I really didnt like it. I dont have corruption or onslaught. I use Death Swiftness in P1 and P4. I watched some guides on youtube and I follow the strategy they say.

Also, like I said earlier, I need to put new augmentors on my glaives because I took them off a few weeks ago.

Am currently staying at a hotel so can't really try Araxxor this week, however I will look into the right perks for my glaives and possibly buy onslaught.

1 hour ago, Zeytin said:

inexpensive? Arent nightmare gauntlets like 90m ?

Lol right? I cashed in on a shadow dye a bit back. Then again, money can be made in this game in so many ways, so saving and grinding to higher tiered gear is never an impossibility. Never rule out a few weeks of cash grinding to acquire 100m+ for a new something or other, in the hopes to earn greater amounts for when you start doing long pvm pushes. Everybody has their story of how they're approached it, including everyone on this thread. All said, you've got the kill already so you are way ahead of yourself than I was, imo. I look forward to seeing your progress on killing the big spider ??!

17 hours ago, thegreatwha said:

Lol right? I cashed in on a shadow dye a bit back. Then again, money can be made in this game in so many ways, so saving and grinding to higher tiered gear is never an impossibility. Never rule out a few weeks of cash grinding to acquire 100m+ for a new something or other, in the hopes to earn greater amounts for when you start doing long pvm pushes. Everybody has their story of how they're approached it, including everyone on this thread. All said, you've got the kill already so you are way ahead of yourself than I was, imo. I look forward to seeing your progress on killing the big spider ??!

Definitely true! My priorities are currently with getting maxed though, thats why whenever I get some money I invest it in skill related items instead of pvm gear. I've got some useful tips so whenever path 2/3 opens up I will give it another try and hopefully you'll see a drop broadcast very soon ;) 

Unlocking Corruption Shot would go a long way towards helping your killspeed, though you have to be careful because it might hit you on reflect.

You could save a fair bit of money by switching out pernix cowl for morrigan's coif, pernix body and legs for anima core of zamorak body and legs, pernix boots for silverhawk boots (tier 60 version) or kurask boots, and pernix gloves for royal spiky vambraces. You could also use offhand chaotic crossbow if you have spare dungeoneering tokens.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: bought an MH ascension with ruby bakriminel bolts and my new record is 5:30!! (but for some reason im getting absolutely destroyed in phase 4 now lol)

On 1/20/2021 at 2:34 PM, Zeytin said:

Update: bought an MH ascension with ruby bakriminel bolts and my new record is 5:30!! (but for some reason im getting absolutely destroyed in phase 4 now lol)

Grats man!! What is giving you problems in phase 4? are you switching prayers quick enough? are you making sure to let the acid ball hit you once, then move away? etc.

Jenni is right. Focus on prayer switching at the appropriate moments. As a beginner, use revo for your attacks while you concentrate on prayer switching and healing.

In other words, what exactly do you mean by...

On 1/20/2021 at 1:34 PM, Zeytin said:

for some reason im getting absolutely destroyed in phase 4 now

? What exactly is happening?

Not sure what happend in phase 4 but I assume I got destroyed there because of the high enrage. 

1 hour ago, Zeytin said:

Not sure what happend in phase 4 but I assume I got destroyed there because of the high enrage. 

What is your highest enrage level on avg? Generally speaking, enrage shouldn't be a major factor, but a factor nonetheless.

2 minutes ago, thegreatwha said:

What is your highest enrage level on avg? Generally speaking, enrage shouldn't be a major factor, but a factor nonetheless.

Usually I would get around 80 enrage and than stop for the day. I only tried Araxxor once with my new gear I got up to 260% (path 2/3). Havent tried multiple time with the new gear yet on path 2/3. Today is minions path so I get damaged quite a lot.

I'm learning to resonance snipe during web and im slowly learning minions path. Its going slow but I'll get there :) currently have 34 kc and died 3 times in total I think. No drops yet unfortantely... only got a pof spider. Practice makes perfect.