A Song of Ice and Fire

Ymesocool

That was one of the most anxiety inducing episodes ever. 

Spoiler

I'm shocked no one of significance died (besides Jorah, I guess). It seems that the past couple seasons have been soft in that regard. But that was an outstanding episode. I about lost it when the dead in the crypts were brought back.

3 minutes ago, Ethan said:

That was one of the most anxiety inducing episodes ever. 

I legit had to keep pausing to collect myself. 

Just now, Beric said:

I legit had to keep pausing to collect myself. 

Same. I had to get up and stretch because I was getting tense. I've never done that while watching TV before. 

Initial reaction:

Spoiler

That absolutely sucked.

I cannot believe they botched it so hard. Years of buildup and the night king is somehow ambushed by Arya (even when he is surrounded by white walkers and wights). Jon does essentially nothing. Danny does essentially nothing. The battle was mostly dark and I didn't enjoy it to any level that something like lord of the rings can get me to enjoy a big battle scene.

I'm just flabbergasted. Now Cersei is the final boss? Man I don't even give a shit. They talked about the Night King so much I wanted more than Arya just stabbing him in the god damn stomach. Not even the dragon battles were cool.

Jesus christ it's garbage. And don't get me started on how literally every major character had a literal invisible shield of plot armor around them for the entire night of battle. It was actually comical how they seemed to be the few people left vs 100s of wights.

0/10.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, AmusedDragon said:

Years of buildup and the night king is somehow ambushed by Arya (even when he is surrounded by white walkers and wights).

Hey, at least that godawful Faceless Man plot line that dragged on for so long had a purpose :reporter:

@AmusedDragon

Spoiler

The more I take this in, the more I realize how true that is. It was an outstanding cinematic experience (though I agree it lacks in comparison to LotR, that is the one true king), but when it comes to the story-line we haven't really gained anything. What's the point of the Night King and the Walkers now? Slow build-up to be moved along and shoved under the rug so quickly. I expected a few episode of resolution, but now we're going to get a 'vs Cercei' episode and a 'Jon vs Dany' episode.

Spoiler

Also, what is the point of Bran with the Night King and his army now gone? 

Spoiler
7 minutes ago, Ethan said:

What's the point of the Night King and the Walkers now? Slow build-up to be moved along and shoved under the rug so quickly.

1 minute ago, Beric said:

Also, what is the point of Bran with the Night King and his army now gone? 

I dunno man.

What was the point in ending multiple seasons with the Night King walking his ass down south?

What was the point in all that Azor Ahai shit if neither Danny nor Jon stab each other and their swords burst into flames?

What was the point in literally half of the tension through the course of the show being handled in a single illogical battle?

The night king is a moron. His motivations were barely there and explained to us the episode prior. He never even spoke or gave us any insight into his worldview other than 'living bad, i got stabbed by some tree people, ow'. I actually realized midway through the episode when the wights were booking it hard towards the walls World War Z (feat brad pitt) style that this enemy they've built up over the years has had little actual buildup.

This shit was poorly thought out. I read probably a dozen theories on what could happen and literally all of them were more entertaining than this without even being fan-fic tier dumb.

I get that the show is about the throne. It's called Game of Thrones. But the books are called A Song of Ice and Fire. If that ice and fire are just Danny and Jon in the end after they get rid of Cersei mark me down as incredibly disappointed.

We got 3 episodes left, so I guess there is time to make the world interesting again? Maybe? I dunno.

Litterfinger better be alive to spice shit up.

Meh - Yes we lost some characters but how is when at the end it appears majority of the people have been wiped out that every gosh dang main character is alive
Also maybe it was just the stream I was watching but it was hella dark, one would think this is a DC movie or something.

I mean don't get me wrong, there were good parts but that just seemed rush that this great build up was resolved in one episode.

Spoiler

What a fucking episode lmao

I'm very disappointed we didn't see a use of Wildfire - I WAS FUCKING SURE BRAN WAS GONNA KAMIKAZE HIMSELF WITH IT TO KILL NK OR SOMETHING not Arya parkouring in.

Also Melisandre lighting the fire how she did wasn't expected. I was thinking she was gonna erupt or explode into some crazy fire or something.

2 hours ago, AmusedDragon said:

Initial reaction:

Hide contents

Now Cersei is the final boss? Man I don't even give a shit. 

Danny has a dragon left too how is it even going to be a fight? :icu:

7 hours ago, Ethan said:
  Hide contents

I'm shocked no one of significance died (besides Jorah, I guess).

Yeah ok lol

Spoiler

Gendry's got some dragonbone and dragonhide he can use to make fancy outfits for all of our heroes :2handed_rune:

I like that they are "the saviors of the world" but they have no military chance against the queen anymore. Perhaps the common folk would assist them if they knew that these people saved the world from the greatest threat they have ever faced, but there is no proof that it happened. If an undead army falls in the north but no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? :)

Also how does the crown generate revenue anymore? The North isn't complying with the crown, I expect Dorne isn't either, Casterly Rock has no more gold in their mines, and the wars of the entire show have decimated the working age men throughout the kingdom - including The Reach. The queen got her last gold by way of conquest. Her betrothed has only ever made money by stealing from others. How is there any economic activity happening in the kingdom?

Spoiler

7 hours ago, CosMoee said:

Danny has a dragon left too how is it even going to be a fight? 

Jon's dragon also lived. 

6 hours ago, Beric said:
  Hide contents

Jon's dragon also lived. 

Spoiler

Oh jesus I thought that was Jon's that was over Danny at the end - surely thought hers was DEAD after seeing it fly off like that. 

-I just read up on it to see what I missed and I didn't watch the next week preview :P 

Spoiler

I couldn't agree more. The fact that they used every moment leading up to this as a precursor into a giant battle vs the Night King only to be a huge let down when it came to the actual battle. I expected at minimum a two episodes battle with some kind of cliff hanger mid battle. I expect death EVERYWHERE and there was a huge let down in that aspect other than killing off the entire off the Dothraki Horde (which killing them off in that manner was what I thought a great opportunity for them to show just how hard the battle was to come) and what to expect in that battle. We watch an entire Dothraki force that we've known to be unstoppable by nature/culture and seeing them get 'God's Light' on their Arakhs and then 30 seconds later...Pooof..They are all instantaneously killed off by a darkness that we can't even truly see, but we know what it is. It was the perfect build up for a fierce battle, and then the battle happens and I feel we were all left unsatisfied. I think one of the only aspects that I truly enjoyed watching was the scene with Lyanna Mormont. They have been dredging through the issues of small/weak characters throughout this entire show and it was good to finally see that character role get some restitution with something as high caliber as the death of an Ice Giant. This is only the tip of the iceberg on my thoughts but I am tired. I have a lot of thoughts and theories and about what happens next (The biggest one will probably be left unanswered because it was a minimal portion of the story line, but I truly hope they bring some kind of closing to the whole Azor Ahai story). I have the worst feeling that they are going to use the 'Final War' to feed into our thirst for main character deaths, but that is going to be misplaced theatrics as the Night King battle should of been so much better and longer.

@AmusedDragon

Spoiler

I've wanted to post on this all day but spoilers are hard on mobile, I wholeheartedly concur with everything Amused said. Like, fucking come on, man. That's just such lazy writing. You're telling me like 99% of the fucking north is dead, just wiped the fuck out by the Night King and his army, but of the very few that remain, all of the main characters sans Jorah (F) stand? You're telling me that Arya has to scratch and claw and run like hell to get out of the bowels of the castle that she went into for some fucking reason, surviving only due to the Hound and Beric coming to save her, but that she can then just magically dash unseen into the Gods' Wood and ambush the fucking Night King? Really? So now you've got, like, 7 dudes (who are apparently fucking invincible, so I guess that helps their cause) and a dragon, maybe two (I'm not sold on Jon's being alive, see below), against Cersei and the Golden Company and the Iron Navy or Fleet or whatever. As Vig brought up, you can't even get the common people to fight for you by telling them about how you just saved their ignorant asses from certain death, because as far as they know you're just making shit up. I actually did enjoy the battle scenes, it was pretty fucking dark and confusing at times but that's the way battle is. I was legitimately on the edge of my seat the entire time, and only after the credits started to roll was I like "That was actually pretty fucking dumb."

@Beric

Spoiler

Are you, like, 100% certain that Jon's dragon survived? Because I'm not. However, I feel like if it was definitely dead, they would've made a bigger deal out of it, because the way I remember seeing it I think it was pretty ambiguous. 

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Cam L said:

Are you, like, 100% certain that Jon's dragon survived? Because I'm not.

Yes, but only because he's featured in the next episode's preview. 

Just now, Beric said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Oh, I don't watch those (Y)