New squat max at the gym. 365!

Cypress One

6 minutes ago, Chopper75 said:

Damn boi I’ll be up to much one day still gotta get 300 on squat haha 

get those gains! :idhitit: I managed to do 4 squats at 365 before I stopped. by that point I was seeing stars lol

Just now, Cypress One said:

get those gains! :idhitit: I managed to do 4 squats at 365 before I stopped. by that point I was seeing stars lol

Damn man I would have felt the same that shit gets heavy after awhile but 4 res that’s crazy! 

Powerlifter and strongman competitor here. I would highly advise you NOT use a Smith machine. In addition to taking the very important training stimulation of stability out of the equation; it only moves in perfectly straight planes. Your joints were not designed to move like that. 

Get in a squat rack and you'll find that you'll get a hell of a lot stronger after an initial dive bomb in strength due to the stability aspect not being previously covered. I'm not trying to piss on your cheerios but if you take my advice you'll be stronger and healthier in the long term. 

11 hours ago, James said:

Powerlifter and strongman competitor here. I would highly advise you NOT use a Smith machine. In addition to taking the very important training stimulation of stability out of the equation; it only moves in perfectly straight planes. Your joints were not designed to move like that. 

Get in a squat rack and you'll find that you'll get a hell of a lot stronger after an initial dive bomb in strength due to the stability aspect not being previously covered. I'm not trying to piss on your cheerios but if you take my advice you'll be stronger and healthier in the long term. 

Normally I wouldn't use the smith machine, but this one is set at an angle. The machine at the University is set to be straight and I refuse to use it. 

Even if it's set at an angle the travel path is still a mechanically straight line. You're moving heavy enough weights that you will wreck havoc on your back, hips, and knees. 

Biomechanically speaking I can already see signs of compensation in your lumbar spine and knees because they're having to change the way they move to accommodate for the fact that the bar can only move in one plane. Your abs too. 

If you're serious about strength and want to remain healthy as you get older the Smith machine does not exist. That's just the nifty towel rack they bought for you. Lol. 

In all seriousness. If you can get to that weight with a barbell and a squat rack instead you're going to pack on a lot more muscle. If you ever want any form/technique checks feel free to send me a PM with some videos. I've done some coaching for the USAPL and USPA and am a referee in the USAPL.

My favorite moment from all of that is judging for a 900 pound competition squat. 

• 2 months later...

I maxxed out my squat 1t 600 at the time was just over my body weight so my maxs at the time were 600 squat 450 deadlift 300 bench. have been to the gym in a while so they are probobly pretty meh now