COMPUTER HELP

Daraxerxes

Hi everyone, so for almost 6 years now I have been building my own computers and repairing them. Here recently I have decided to do something new which is build my own NAS (network attached server) and wireless router. If anyone has any tips they would like to share or what hardware and OS/software to use, please feel free! If you would also just like to talk about your gaming/computer setup and specs, I always enjoy seeing what other people have built and why they built them the way they did especially since my current computer is getting out of date and I would like ideas on what to put in my new rig!

Me walking into this topic: Hey, nice, I built a PC for the first time earlier this year, maybe I can help out :)

Me upon entering the topic: Oh my God I know nothing

I have no working knowledge of servers, but my build can be seen here

It's nothing special, just didn't want this thread to die cuz I think its cool to see people's builds.

I have a friend who's built his own media server, but have no clue as to what went into it.  If you don't mind potentially illegal downloads, he has it automatically downloading dozens of shows, movies, and more for access from his smart tv, computer, iphone, etc.  

On 7/16/2020 at 5:03 PM, Hess said:

It's nothing special, just didn't want this thread to die cuz I think its cool to see people's builds.

Why on earth do you need 9.5 TB of hard drive space? 

10 hours ago, Rafi said:

Why on earth do you need 9.5 TB of hard drive space? 

Movies, games, etc. It was only a few bucks extra to upgrade from 4 to 8

On 7/16/2020 at 4:03 PM, Hess said:

That's a nice build. I would have done something similar if I had chosen to build a PC instead of getting a laptop.

Code Magick

@Daraxerxes you can look into FreeNAS to manage your Network Attached Storage depending on what you're looking to use it for. There's also Plex for mostly media content or Emby which is similar in use to Plex, but offers a few different features.