Bug Out Bag & EDC Gear

Moto Bro

With 2020 being so crazy so far I decided to put together a "bug out bag". Ideally I'll never need to use these things but it's better to be prepared. Some of this is my "EDC Gear" (everyday carry) too.

sPhTESf.jpg

-Cannae Simplex Backpack with extra MOLLE bags

-Anker Power Bank for Phone/Laptop

-Emergency Sleeping Bag & Blanket

-Survival Kit from Atomic Bear

-First Aid Kit

-Cannae Wallet

-Lifestraws

-Keys with Kershaw Pocket Knife & LED Flashlight

-Picture taken with iPhone 8

All of it came from Amazon except for the Cannae bag & wallet which I got directly from their site, and the Kershaw knife was a gift. 

So what do you all carry with you everyday and do you have an emergency/bugout bag? 

I've been meaning to assemble a bugout bag since earlier this year. I have a spreadsheet and a bunch of the basics (knives, paracord, first aid kit, backpack with a pocket for a water bladder, etc.), I just need to put it all together and be ready to go. 

53 minutes ago, Cam L said:

I've been meaning to assemble a bugout bag since earlier this year. I have a spreadsheet and a bunch of the basics (knives, paracord, first aid kit, backpack with a pocket for a water bladder, etc.), I just need to put it all together and be ready to go. 

They've got some nice backpacks & bags at https://cannaeprogear.com/ Mine didn't come with a bladder but they have some larger packs that can accommodate up to a 3 liter bladder. I bought the carabiners & paracord separately on Amazon and attached them to each side of the bag. The survival kit includes a knife & sharpener, firestarter kit, LED flashlight, paracord bracelet with compass & whistle, "tactical pen" with window punch & LED flashlight, and a multi-tool card that works as a screwdriver, can opener, etc. I'll provide the amazon links if anyone is interested in picking up the same gear. 

Survival Kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H71M7W2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lifestraws: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C56LR6N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keychain LED Flashlight: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXGFJYJ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First-aid kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PJIVJM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MOLLE bag for first aid kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015QHZBE6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paracord with clip: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X3R9JT5/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Carabiners: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7F6LPR/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeti Rambler (not pictured): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0842S75K5/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rambler with straw for kids: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VF6VRMD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If anyone decides to buy anything from Cannae you can use the code "SEP15" for 15% off the entire order. I'm pretty sure they do it every month so next month's code will probably be "OCT15". I bought a laptop bag from them as well. 

Edited by Moto Bro

Don't forget a charging cable or that power bank will be useless.  Also, solar rechargeable power bank would be theoretically be better if there really is an apocolypse. 

The thing you're really missing? Camping cook gear.  Mountain House meals (dehydrated meals that stay good for 30 years and you just add hot water). Camping cook set and cook system.

Bugout bags seem like a good idea if you live in the fire belt on the west coast or the hurricane belt on the gulf coast.  Rest of the country, it's infinitely less likely to get hit by a natural disaster. 

21 minutes ago, Rafi said:

Don't forget a charging cable or that power bank will be useless.  Also, solar rechargeable power bank would be theoretically be better if there really is an apocolypse. 

The thing you're really missing? Camping cook gear.  Mountain House meals (dehydrated meals that stay good for 30 years and you just add hot water). Camping cook set and cook system.

Bugout bags seem like a good idea if you live in the fire belt on the west coast or the hurricane belt on the gulf coast.  Rest of the country, it's infinitely less likely to get hit by a natural disaster. 

Yeah I definitely need to get some dehydrated food & MREs. I've got a pantry full of canned food for the house but that stuff is too heavy to carry on the go. Ideally when a disaster hits you "bug-in" meaning you hunker down in your own home for as long as possible. "Bugging out" is usually a last resort if you have to evacuate and/or leave your vehicle behind. So you don't want to over-pack your bag because you'll get tired carrying all that weight, 35-50 pounds is probably the most you'd want to be carrying on a long hike. I just started putting this together in the past week so I'm still adding to it. 

It's also not just about natural disasters. Depending on the results of the election, mass riots could break out all over the country. Rioters could burn down every store in the city, block the highways so freight trucks can't supply the stores, or start looting & burning down residential homes. I'll defend my home with deadly force if necessary but if that no longer seems feasible I'll get out. I highly doubt any of those scenarios would play out in my city but you never know. I don't live in the best neighborhood so there's always a chance people could get desperate and try something crazy. 

If things go to shit I'll just go into the outback and become the king of the roos by challenging the leader to a quick boxing match, naturally. We will then move along the coast taking control of the major cities one by one.:yay:

In all seriousness though, it's not something I think about to much. There's alot of things going on in society atm but I don't believe we'll be falling into an apocalyptic state anytime soon. Although that American show doomsday preppers tells you a different story lol. 

5 minutes ago, Brimes said:

If things go to shit I'll just go into the outback and become the king of the roos by challenging the leader to a quick boxing match, naturally. We will then move along the coast taking control of the major cities one by one.:yay:

In all seriousness though, it's not something I think about to much. There's alot of things going on in society atm but I don't believe we'll be falling into an apocalyptic state anytime soon. Although that American show doomsday preppers tells you a different story lol. 

I'm not gonna lie, I just started watching that show on Netflix recently to get some ideas for what I might need. Everyone thought those people were crazy when that show first aired, but they don't look so crazy now. :lol:

The Outback is far more dangerous than the woods out here where I live, I probably wouldn't last long out there. I'd have a fighting chance here with my basic survival skills, but I'm no Les Stroud (Survivorman). :/

I really like this, great post. Everybody should have a go bag.

I have most of the same necessities. 

Some stuff i think people would find useful......

blackbeard fire starter

knife/glass breaker (this is actually really solidi carry it everywhere. if you drive into flood waters with your windows up you're in big trouble....rip. or if locked dog or baby in car)

fishing line is actually extremely useful too.....

and delete this if not allowed....but i never leave home without my  9mm hellcat (won't beat it for concealed carry)

as for most go bags, you hope to never need, but good to have in case (firearms especially, i hope i never need any of mine)

.....oh and ONE HUGE THING people over look......SOCKS lol....seriously.....ever changed into dry socks after having wet nasty ones on???) huge morale boost.throw 2 pairs in

25 minutes ago, Brimes said:

lol, yeah.....doomsday preppers are a little too much.....but i have seen my fair share of floods and hurricanes......always good to be prepared though :)

15 minutes ago, Trippybudzz said:

I really like this, great post. Everybody should have a go bag.

I have most of the same necessities. 

Some stuff i think people would find useful......

blackbeard fire starter

knife/glass breaker (this is actually really solidi carry it everywhere. if you drive into flood waters with your windows up you're in big trouble....rip. or if locked dog or baby in car)

fishing line is actually extremely useful too.....

and delete this if not allowed....but i never leave home without my  9mm hellcat (won't beat it for concealed carry)

as for most go bags, you hope to never need, but good to have in case (firearms especially, i hope i never need any of mine)

.....oh and ONE HUGE THING people over look......SOCKS lol....seriously.....ever changed into dry socks after having wet nasty ones on???) huge morale boost.throw 2 pairs in

That's a nice looking knife and for a good price too. I have a "Tactical .22" (AR-15 style rifle chambered in .22LR) that I got for dirt cheap but I'd like to upgrade to a real AR-15. I've also got a Smith & Wesson .40 handgun but it's not compact & I don't have a concealed carry permit. I just keep them at home for self-defense but recent events have made me consider getting my permit. Due to Covid, I haven't been to the range at all this year. 

13 hours ago, Moto Bro said:

I'd like to upgrade to a real AR-15

DO IT! AR15 or a Mini14 should be on the top of any bug in/out bag also don't forget about a healthy supply of green tip.

14 hours ago, Moto Bro said:

recent events have made me consider getting my permit.

Utilizing a go bag if you have to be on the move due to a natural disaster as discussed above is one thing, but in the event of a real societal collapse I don't think I'd be too concerned about whether or not I have a permit. That's not to say getting one isn't a good idea, of course :)

4 hours ago, Cam L said:

Utilizing a go bag if you have to be on the move due to a natural disaster as discussed above is one thing, but in the event of a real societal collapse I don't think I'd be too concerned about whether or not I have a permit. That's not to say getting one isn't a good idea, of course :)

Well Texas is an open carry state so I could legally carry without a permit, but I'd prefer to keep it concealed if I'll be carrying it in public. 

41 minutes ago, Moto Bro said:

Well Texas is an open carry state so I could legally carry without a permit, but I'd prefer to keep it concealed if I'll be carrying it in public. 

Texas passed something about being able to take the classroom learning part online so you just have to qualify at a range, can pause and come back on your time if that helps you?

Yeah, open carry is foolish......1. why try to intimidate people or scare them? 2. actually become an easier target to rob...they know what you have lol

oh....if its a go bag for some fallout....some bottles of liquor and any recreational substances will go a long way when its time to barter lol

Edited by Trippybudzz
  • 4 weeks later...

No offense but it's gonna get savage AF around here.  

Let me get this straight, you're going to run off into the woods with a backpack full of direct from China Amazon shipped kits of dubious quality?  You're worried about scavenging for dirty water you need to filter before drinking, but it's not so bad you can sit down and play on your laptop with that battery pack you brought along?  Really?  You ever backpacked in your life?  I mean really backpacking, not paying the local government a fee to use a "campsite" with a public toilet and a prepared space for your tent.   A laptop is about as high on the list of needs as carrying around a kitchen sink.  I bet you'd trade me that laptop for a spritz of my insect spray after 1 day, if you even make it that far without any type of sleeping or shelter system.   Have you ever used any of that gear?  Do you trust it?  That cable saw, dear lord.  Do me a favor, go out somewhere with a branch that's a 2-3 inches thick, try that saw out on it. Go on. Try it.  Let me know how that worked out for you.  A double walled sealed & insulated water bottle?  What happens to air when it heats up?   Congratulations on your handheld pressure bomb. Even ignoring that how effective is an insulated or air gapped bottle going to be in heating up water?  Don't even get me started on the knife, light, "tactical pen", etc. 

I say all of this stuff as someone who's actually done week long hikes.  Hey, if you really think it's going to get bad, why not try all of this stuff out now while everything is still OK. This coming weekend, strap that pack on your back and head off into the woods.  I bet you don't make 2 nights. 

Mental masturbation is all this is worrying and buying gear is. End of the day, nobody is going anywhere.  You think a whole bunch of people are going to abandon their homes with air conditioning, heat, comfortable beds, pizza delivery, and Netflix on a 65" TV all because somebody won (or didn't win) an election?   Get effin' real.  Mr. and Mrs. America are going to wake up, bitch and whine a whole bunch, but then go off and work their jobs so they can pay their bills just like any other day.  Societal breakdown my butt, this ain't even Mad Libs let alone Max Max.

Edited by Ewhenn