2 handed vs dual wield in melee

Ox 1899

Hey folks. I'm training combat up at the moment (via slayer) and was wondering which weapon type would be better? My own research hasn't helped me decide, so I was wondering what your opinions are? 

4 hours ago, Ox 1899 said:

which weapon type would be better

What weapons are you currently using?

15 minutes ago, Samimo said:

What weapons are you currently using?

Dual weilding Orikalkum warhammer +3s at the moment. Not sure what to go for when I hit 70

53 minutes ago, Ox 1899 said:

Dual weilding Orikalkum warhammer +3s at the moment. Not sure what to go for when I hit 70

At Tier 70, the world becomes open to you. Whips, Crystal halberds, and barrows all become available to you.

Best in slot at 70 is gonna be Barrows, but those are a bit pricey.

For a money option, I'd reccommend:

Dual Wield: Whip, crystal dagger

2h: Crystal Halberd

If you have access to Crystal weapons you can use a Crystal Halberd (or any Halberd) on Slayer tasks to be able to hit multiple targets at the same time. There are a few other weapons that can hit multiple targets as well but they're pretty expensive/high level required like the Dragon Rider Lance and Noxious Scythe.

23 hours ago, Red Rat17 said:

At Tier 70, the world becomes open to you. Whips, Crystal halberds, and barrows all become available to you.

Best in slot at 70 is gonna be Barrows, but those are a bit pricey.

For a money option, I'd reccommend:

Dual Wield: Whip, crystal dagger

2h: Crystal Halberd

What sort of whip would you recommend?

16 minutes ago, Ox 1899 said:

What sort of whip would you recommend?

Start with an Abyssal Whip then upgrade it as you level up. The Abyssal Whip can be upgraded with a Whip Vine that will make it into a level 75 Attack weapon but it also requires 80 Slayer to create. You can also upgrade it with a Wyrm Spike to make it into a level 85 attack Lava Whip. These versions of the whip both degrade over time and require additional whips to recharge them. But the majority of higher tier weapons require maintenance so that's just something you'll have to get used to. Everything becomes exponentially more expensive as you get into the higher tier gear. 

Edited by Moto Bro
2 minutes ago, Moto Bro said:

The Abyssal Whip can be upgraded with a Whip Vine that will make it into a level 75 Attack weapon but it also requires 80 Slayer to create. You can also upgrade it with a Wyrm Spike to make it into a level 85 attack Lava Whip. These versions of the whip both degrade over time and require additional whips to recharge them. But the majority of higher tier weapons require maintenance so that's just something you'll have to get used to. Everything becomes exponentially more expensive as you get into the higher tier gear. 

I'm learning that :P Still, it's something to aim for.

2 minutes ago, Ox 1899 said:

I'm learning that :P Still, it's something to aim for.

The Abyssal Whip itself it's pretty cheap (under 100K I believe). Unfortunately it doesn't have a matching off-hand weapon. I would recommend getting the Enhanced Excalibur to use as an off-hand weapon with the whip until you can afford an upgrade. 

26 minutes ago, Moto Bro said:

The Abyssal Whip itself it's pretty cheap (under 100K I believe). Unfortunately it doesn't have a matching off-hand weapon. I would recommend getting the Enhanced Excalibur to use as an off-hand weapon with the whip until you can afford an upgrade. 

Is that a quest related weapon?

3 minutes ago, Ox 1899 said:

Is that a quest related weapon?

Excalibur is from Merlin's Crystal Quest but upgrading it requires the Hard Seer's Village Achievements (tasks). Once enhanced it has a "special attack" that heals you over time, making it very useful to Slayer tasks so you don't waste as much food. 

1 minute ago, Moto Bro said:

Excalibur is from Merlin's Crystal Quest but upgrading it requires the Hard Seer's Village Achievements (tasks). Once enhanced it has a "special attack" that heals you over time, making it very useful to Slayer tasks so you don't waste as much food. 

Nice! I'll add that to my to-do list then.

Halberd for everything. Only use dual wield for bossing if you have much better dual wield weapons available than 2h (for example, blades of avaryss and nymora vs. crystal halberd) or if you're going to do the very advanced tactic of using both 2h and dual wield (allows access to a strong basic from both 2h and dual wield).