Winter Storms

Moto Bro

So as many of you already know Texas and most of the US was hit with quite a big winter storm this week. But the state of Texas was especially ill prepared for this in many ways. Almost a quarter of the state's power came from windmills which froze in the storm, so many are without power. Waterlines also froze leaving people without water either. Roads are icy but we don't have snow plows or trucks to salt the roads. Since weather like this is extremely rare here, it's understandable that these things aren't standard but it's still disappointing that we have no way of dealing with it.

I'm currently staying in a hotel until power and water are restored. The good news is, there's nothing to do but play RS while I'm stuck here.

45 minutes ago, Hess said:

Oh man, hotel living isn’t that fun but the pillows are nice.

Stay safe! We got nothing but rain here in NC

I haven't laid down yet but the hot shower was a lifesaver. This office chair is also a lot nicer than the junk I have at home. 

I've been without water since Sunday, but luckily I'm on the same portion of the  power grid as a hospital, so I'm safe there. San Antonio got hit with a second wave today, but tomorrow we get back up to 41, and then 61 by Saturday. Hopefully a warm shower is in the future. 

Got power and water back consistently yesterday, internet is a different story. Only recently have come up with a temporary solution since my provider is literally useless so hopefully I can actually start playing the game for real soon instead of praying I don’t lose connection mid raid or whatever

Hope all is well with everyone in Texas, I can't imagine how frustrating putting up with this probably is but I'm glad to see everyone here is handling it in a more level-headed way than others. We've been getting some of the residual effects here in northern Alabama (6 inches of snow in the span of an hour last night lmao), but the city of Huntsville is at least somewhat prepared for this kind of weather and aside from being trolled with my office closing for no reason on Monday & Tuesday everything here has been fine. 

I see it's been dumping snow in the mountains out west and I'm high key considering hopping on a plane for an impromptu ski trip, though ?

5 hours ago, Hess said:

Oh man, hotel living isn’t that fun but the pillows are nice.

Damn, you must have been staying at some nice hotels. I never find a pillow to my liking.

Keep warm and Scape on!

Edited by X5-452

Yeah that's super rough. Some of my best in Boston are transplants from Texas and their families are all in the thick of it. I know there's a bunch of other Gladz there too sans power. @Death Cotold me they are rationing food and such at this point. 

7 hours ago, Moto Bro said:

So as many of you already know Texas and most of the US was hit with quite a big winter storm this week. But the state of Texas was especially ill prepared for this in many ways. Almost a quarter of the state's power came from windmills which froze in the storm, so many are without power. Waterlines also froze leaving people without water either. Roads are icy but we don't have snow plows or trucks to salt the roads. Since weather like this is extremely rare here, it's understandable that these things aren't standard but it's still disappointing that we have no way of dealing with it.

I'm currently staying in a hotel until power and water are restored. The good news is, there's nothing to do but play RS while I'm stuck here.

FYI The wind turbines weren't the major issue. That was just bollocks spewed by the governor looking for something he's against to blame - a purely political move.

However, wind power was not chiefly to blame for the Texas blackouts. The main problem was frigid temperatures that stalled natural gas production, which is responsible for the majority of Texas’ power supply. Wind makes up just a fraction — 7 percent or so, by some estimates — of the state’s overall mix of power generation this time of year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/17/climate/texas-blackouts-disinformation.html

Didn’t think it was possible that there was somewhere weaker vs snow than England

In all seriousness though I hope people are OK. When your mayor’s disaster response is “stop asking for handouts, if you’ve got no water then do without, only the strong will survive and the weak will perish” that must be scary

image0.png