If you could invent a new Runescape Skill or add on to a previous one what would you implement?

JuicyCoffee

JuicyCoffee

I remember as a kid playing Runescape I would think all the time of new skills or things I wanted to make in Runescape. So I thought making a thread for Skill creation would be a neat discussion. We see a few "Skills" in the Behind the Scenes area which I thought were hilarious. So use this thread as a place to flex some creativity and discuss other people's additions/creations!

I think a cool skill would be an Animal Handling skill. We get to raise cats in game so it would be a skill focused on that mechanic. You'd get skill points by feeding/paying attention to the pet and interacting with it in different ways and extra XP as it grew through different stages. They could introduce a wider variety of growable pets and implement quests where a certain animal handling lvl is needed. The skill could also be expanded on by causing wild animals to not aggro you at different skill checkpoints.

I think a subclass of a skill would be easier to imagine and design rather than an entire thing.

Eg. Necromancy but it falls under summoning/magic (skills would be in the spellbook in a new tab) 

Some simple ones like

-Summon skeleton: a basic monster than melees its target for up to 1min

-Summon skeleton archer: a basic monster that shoots projectiles at ita target for up to 1min

-Summon zombie: zombie can melee its target and slam the ground for an aoe hit (AoE cd is 20s)

-Summon ghost: summons a ghost which hits its target with whatever its weaker against (mage/range like the ghosts from DG.

19 hours ago, JuicyCoffee said:

I think a cool skill would be an Animal Handling skill. We get to raise cats in game so it would be a skill focused on that mechanic. You'd get skill points by feeding/paying attention to the pet and interacting with it in different ways and extra XP as it grew through different stages. They could introduce a wider variety of growable pets and implement quests where a certain animal handling lvl is needed. The skill could also be expanded on by causing wild animals to not aggro you at different skill checkpoints.

Huh, I mean we do have "Player-Own-Farms" where you raise animals, breed, and other things. Maybe not exactly what you are thinking, but certainly in the ball-park!

But with arch out recently I have to say I can't but really want to think of something new. Hmm... a subclass does sound easier. But what about driving? :dunno:

22 hours ago, JuicyCoffee said:

They should replace Summoning with this I love the sound of it. It’s basically the same end result (animal companions that help you out) but training would be way more interactive and fun

JuicyCoffee
3 hours ago, Deathcon said:

I think a subclass of a skill would be easier to imagine and design rather than an entire thing.

Eg. Necromancy but it falls under summoning/magic (skills would be in the spellbook in a new tab) 

Some simple ones like

-Summon skeleton: a basic monster than melees its target for up to 1min

-Summon skeleton archer: a basic monster that shoots projectiles at ita target for up to 1min

-Summon zombie: zombie can melee its target and slam the ground for an aoe hit (AoE cd is 20s)

-Summon ghost: summons a ghost which hits its target with whatever its weaker against (mage/range like the ghosts from DG.

I never even thought of subclasses/skills. That sounds like a great idea!

3 minutes ago, Meluseek said:

Sailing

Throwback to the 2000s! There was a time when I believe Jagex was seriously considering that and we thought it was a potential future skill. I think they may have eventually decided on player owned ports instead. 

2 hours ago, Rafi said:

Throwback to the 2000s! There was a time when I believe Jagex was seriously considering that and we thought it was a potential future skill. I think they may have eventually decided on player owned ports instead. 

I believe you can still find Sailing in some dropdown menus or something like that in game. Or maybe bank presets, not sure.

Edited by X5-452
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure if it's already a thing, but I always thought shape shifting would be cool. Turn into a werewolf To gain physical resistance, or a dragon for fire resistance or something along those lines. I really like the idea of the necromancy/subclass thing In general. 

@DeathconKinda like a new elite skill? Lvl 80 Mage, Lvl 80 Summoning! Necromancer would be bad ass, great idea!

Edited by Chirm

I've always wanted to be a druid. I'd make a whole new spell book for it and maybe add different types of magic as well. I remember back in the day when you first made an account you  could pick a class (warrior, ranger, or mage) and I wish they stuck with it :(

On 3/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, thegreatwha said:

Huh, I mean we do have "Player-Own-Farms" where you raise animals, breed, and other things. Maybe not exactly what you are thinking, but certainly in the ball-park!

But with arch out recently I have to say I can't but really want to think of something new. Hmm... a subclass does sound easier. But what about driving? :dunno:

Driving horses? Or is Henry Ford making his debut in geilinor?

Spirit Arts.

Call me a weeb, but i've always been interested in animes where magic isn't used as much as spirit arts.

Would be a somewhat of a support skill, and would buff skilling and combat. Similar to prayer. But essentially it would allow stone spirits to have a purpose. Each stone spirit would either give a slight boost to DPS, or to exp gained for skilling. I doubt they would do it, because there are so many stone spirits, and scaling would be broken, but this is my idea damnit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I am unsure if has been brought up in the other responses. But I feel that making an elite skill that requires multiple high skills in combat for an advanced combat skill would be interesting or making the actual reaper a skill. This skill requiring certain combat and slayer level to reach different tiers of assignments.

I don't think I would want new skills I would like them to revamp the current kind of dead content skills like,  cooking, woodcutting,  firemaking and better improvements to construction I think the contracts have already kind of become dead content 

LCDR Carter
On 3/14/2021 at 4:33 PM, TEN HO said:
On 3/14/2021 at 4:33 PM, TEN HO said:

They should replace Summoning with this I love the sound of it. It’s basically the same end result (animal companions that help you out) but training would be way more interactive and fun

Coming from an S&R team member, i think an animal handling skill would be awesome. Or even a train skill (could be substituted with like npc, goblins, etc) This could be used in real life situations. I am a dog handler myself.