Children's Book Recommendations

thegreatwha

So I'm looking for children's book recommendations for my kiddos. There's a lot of good stuff out there. What did you grow up with and what would you recommend?

Dr Suess 

Magic Tree House (I LOVED these as a kid)

Pete The Cat

Usborne Phonics Readers - https://www.costco.ca/usborne-phonics-readers-12-book-boxed-set.product.100687429.html 

Block Books - https://www.costco.ca/a-box-of-blocks-3-book-bundle.product.100725709.html

THIS ONE BECAUSE OF WHERE YOU LIVE https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1589255518/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_4B6BDEA64MG5W3RACAAX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also, how old are your kids again? I could potentially ship you some of our old books for a reasonable amount of shipping dollars.

Oh man I have so many recommendations since I teach kindergarten :) I will share when I get home. 

4 hours ago, thegreatwha said:

We just finished reading this book:

0fcCNgo.png

Damn you picked up my autobiography?

7 hours ago, Hess said:

I learned to read from Dr. Seuss, but can’t go wrong with Berestain Bears

We have at least a few of both for our kids. My boys love the Richard Scarry books cause of all the animals and vehicles.

1 hour ago, Hess said:

Seconded! 

Looking back at it as an adult, I can't believe my parents/grandparents didn't break down sobbing every time they read it with me. 

3 hours ago, AmusedDragon said:

Damn you picked up my autobiography?

I thought yours was "Dragons love mexican pizza from Tacobell"

9 hours ago, thegreatwha said:

There's a lot of good stuff out there. What did you grow up with and what would you recommend?

I liked reading horror-ish books (Goosebumps series) was interesting reads

Ok my students love these books

ba314f5cc2c3c186e73f661357265cf8.png

There are more books in this series - I've broken my bum, my bum is so noisy, 

8deb9b0ca962fc67a5742147460dfa26.jpg

69028a93e731eec98e683aa6e8ae3dc7.png

There are more books in the Gruffalo series as well :D 

b242d815bd3f1fa714e8a06eab0e3eaf.png

There is a whole series for Greedy Cat

There are so many good book suggestions already. How old are the kiddos? Can they already read or are you reading to them? 

A couple of my favorites growing up were If You Give a Mouse a Cookie*, and Corduroy.

*This book can provoke an interesting discussion on altruism and the teach a man to fish/give a man a fish idea. 

Edited by stepkate
20 hours ago, Felicia said:

Also, how old are your kids again? I could potentially ship you some of our old books for a reasonable amount of shipping dollars.

You are too kind!  I'll let you know once I am settled in a more stable location. Hopefully by the summer.

9 hours ago, stepkate said:

How old are the kiddos? Can they already read or are you reading to them? 

And for you and Felicia's knowledge, my oldest is approaching 3 and my youngest is 4 months. So no reading yet, but she is already beginning to recognize letters and sounds, with the occasional whole-word (somewhat, tbh). But it's usually myself or my spouse reading to them. Of course, my daughter (the youngest) in accordance with her personality feels compelled to read to us and her little brother - which is both cute and comical. She especially loves reading and directing us when reading a book called "Press Here" by French artist Herve Tullet

10 hours ago, Maggie said:

Ok my students love these books

ba314f5cc2c3c186e73f661357265cf8.png

There are more books in this series - I've broken my bum, my bum is so noisy, 

8deb9b0ca962fc67a5742147460dfa26.jpg

69028a93e731eec98e683aa6e8ae3dc7.png

There are more books in the Gruffalo series as well :D 

b242d815bd3f1fa714e8a06eab0e3eaf.png

There is a whole series for Greedy Cat

I know I've seen "The Gruffalo" years ago. But the others are new to me, at least as books. We've heard the wonky donkey song a bunch of time (i've even played it on the guitar for my kiddos, having heard it so much :P), but never knew it was a book or thought to actually look it up. lol  

I'll be sure to ask my local library if they have any copies: we have one and try and take full advantage of it - I personally <3<3<3 libraries).

uniquestring
On 3/21/2021 at 11:17 PM, Rafi said:

The Giving Tree

Tooth Nasher Super Flash

Goodnight Moon

I think those were my three favorites. 

Goodnight Moon is our absolute favourite. So good lol 

Have you heard of my boy Clifford the Big Red Dog by any chance? That's what I grew up with along with the Boxcar Children

• 2 weeks later...