Absolute Beginners Guide

68St0x20

I've been playing Runescape for only 4 months, and have been in Gladiatorz only 3.

One thing that I couldn't find was an absolute beginners guide that assumes no prior knowledge of abbreviations, locations or activities.

This topic is an attempt to list things absolute beginners should know or check out.

General basic tips

• It can be fun to play this game blind since the developers put so much thought into dialogue and puzzles. In my opinion some amount of the game is badly explained or just not fun. Checking things on https://runescape.wiki/ makes the game more fun.
  • One badly explained aspect to the game is that your accuracy is severely affected by wearing the wrong armor. If you find yourself unable to land a single blow on an enemy (usually during a quest that makes you switch between melee/ranged/combat) it could well be because you are wearing armor intended for a different type of combat.
  • You generally don't need to spend a lot of time repetitively grinding skill experience. Skills can be levelled up via side activities and bonus items - go out and explore the world and check the wiki for each skill. 

Clan citadel

As a member of the clan you have access to the clan citadel which offers weekly experience bonuses.

Getting to the citadel

The first portal to the citadel you'll have access to is to the south of Falador. However since Falador has no southern gates in its walls; the quickest way to get to the citadel portal is to teleport to Port Sarim then walk north-west.

Once at the citadel, head to the gate in the walls to enter the citadel proper.

Resource gathering and resource cap

The citadel includes a number of skill plots that let you practice skills with a relatively fast rate of experience gain. Each plot earns resources for the citadel; and the game puts a limit on how much experience you can gain by placing a cap on the resources you can gain. Once you hit that cap, you have "capped at citadel" for that week.

Quartermaster bonus

Once a week you can receive bonus XP from the citadel quartermaster. Enter the building inside the citadel walls; the quartermaster will be to your left.

Weekly avatar bonus

As you enter the gate through the citadel walls, straight ahead will be the Avatar Habitat. Here there is a stone in the ground that can be interacted with for a weekly bonus - either a % bonus XP increase or a bonus to experience from the skill plots in the citadel.

We have a specific topic for the Citadel here, covering in detail how to get the weekly bonuses efficiently.

Daily challenges

The game offers daily challenges to exercise a particular skill. These are worth doing as the reward is both a chunk of XP for the skill you exercised, and a treasure chest key.

Quests

It's worth working through the quests in the game as the rewards can be unique and valuable. Some tips for quests:

• Quests can be frustrating. Use the wiki liberally.
  • You can progress many quests in parallel, so don't hesitate to start a quest but switch to another one.
  • Quests that require you to gather or craft certain items can often be progressed by simply buying the item from the Grand Exchange in Varrok.

Distractions and Diversions

The game includes many activities that earn great XP but are limited to only be accessible once a week or once a month - these are known as Distractions and Diversions. It's worth noting which are available to you, and mopping them up when they become available.

Anachronia

An activity that will require a lot of real-world time and is worth starting soon is located on Anachronia. Getting there involves boarding a ship located to the east of the Varrok Dig Site, which is in turn to the east of Varrok. Boarding the ship will start a quest that unlocks the activity in question and unlocks teleportation to Anachronia.

Prif

Thanks to @Red Rat17 for this guidance:

Prif is short for Prifddinas. Its a location that is unlocked once you finish the quest Plague's End, which is part of the longest quest lines in the game. Its a good target, because the requirements for the quest are 75 in numerous skills. Once you unlock it, you get easier access to create your own crystal flasks, the best agility course in the game, a new slayer master, another Grand Exchange location, and some AFK skilling locations. It used to be better, but as higher end content has been added into the game, Prif's relevance has waned, but it is still a good goal for balanced stats and alternative methods of training. 

Edited by 68St0x20
On 8/3/2021 at 4:11 AM, OzEgirl said:

Hey this is awesome i learnt lots from that

Great :)

If you have learned anything while starting out , let me know and I'll add it to the OP

This topic is going to be lacking because I'm still learning and don't understand everything yet.

e.g.

• what is Priff and why should I aim for it? (I'm working on this currently, but I can't really write about it til I've got there)
  • What the heck is pvm and when should I start?
3 hours ago, 68St0x20 said:

• what is Priff and why should I aim for it? (I'm working on this currently, but I can't really write about it til I've got there)
  • What the heck is pvm and when should I start?

Prif is short for Prifddinas. Its a location that is unlocked once you finish the quest Plague's End, which is part of the longest quest lines in the game. Its a good target, because the requirements for the quest are 75 in numerous skills. Once you unlock it, you get easier access to create your own crystal flasks, the best agility course in the game, a new slayer master, another Grand Exchange location, and some AFK skilling locations. It used to be better, but as higher end content has been added into the game, Prif's relevance has waned, but it is still a good goal for balanced stats and alternative methods of training. 

PVM is player vs monster, and you should start as soon as possible :) Combat is the best money maker in the game at the highest levels, but at even the lowest levels, is often still one of the highest. I would check out the following Melee trainingRange TrainingMagic training

More specifically, when people refer to "PVMing", its normally with the requirements to be using tier 70 weapons and armor, but Tier 80 is better in all cases. 

• Maggie pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I appreciate topics like this, i google n wikki and is often difficult finding useful information i can understand . Thanks

• 8 months later...
  • Tristan unpinned this topic