PVM Help/Advice Request

Calenon

Hi all, 

I've been playing a bit more recently after a series of long(ish) breaks and am wanting to get into some more PVM. I wanted to make a post asking for some advice/tips in terms of which bosses I should focus on learning next, as well as which gear improvements I should prioritize. 

Account:

I'm maxed with nearly all quests completed (including most of the new ones). This includes, elder overloads, 120 summoning (with ancient summoning unlocked/120 arch), T99 Range/Melee Curses (missing Mage T99), 120 slayer, 150 invention. 

Gear:

• All my gear is augmented (perk quality varies)
  • Melee:
    • Full Custom Trimmed Masterwork
    • T90 Drygores/Scythe 
    •  
  • Mage: 
    • Virtus Top/Legs/Helm/Boots
    • Ragefire Boots
    • Inquisitor Staff
    • Large Rune Pouch
  • Range:
    • Pernix Top/Legs/Helm
    • Fleeting Boots
    • Nightmare Gauntlets
    • T90 Ascensions 
    • Off-hand shadow glaive
  • Misc.
    • Cinderbanes
    • Scrip of Jas
    • Amulet of Souls (or)
    • Ring of Death
    • Ports T85 Top/Helm/Plate for all three combat styles

PVM Experience:

• 3-10 Group kills in ED1/2/3
  • Over 6k GWD2 Kills (only 185 Greg Kills) nearly all before the new(ish) afk methods
  • 40-ish next kills (Duos mostly)
  • 45 Nex AOD kills 
  • 356 Araxxi Kills (300% enrage, nearly all kills with melee)
  • 331 Arch-Glacor HM kills, max enrage 342% (mostly with range)
  • 1292 Corp beast kills (before afk methods)
  • Small number of kills at several other "old" bosses

Other Stuff:

• I've seen the pvm discord but honestly it's a ton of information so a starting point would be good.
  • Any videos that might be helpful would be appreciated (I've seen some of the gearing/dps videos).
  • My order of comfort with combat styles is Range>Melee>Mage
  • I'm slowing switching to full manual but still heavily use Revo (85/15% Revo/Manual with Range/Melee). 
  • I've set aside 1.25B for learning/gearing (which I know isn't that much these days)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Let me know if you have any questions or need some more clarification. 

Thank you,

@Calenon, I moved your topic over to "Runescape Chat" as your question is very specific to in-game-related stuff.

-------------------------------------

But yeah, you seem to be in an alright position. Before going further into detail, I want to ask how familiar are you with the EOC system? Using keybinds, defensives, understanding cooldowns, and things like that?

First thing that pops out, is no EoF. It's a great upgrade.

Are you using planted feet switches for mage & range ?

How are your combat abilities, like gbarge, grico, gconc ?

Hey, 

@thegreatwhaI'm somewhat familiar with EOC, I use some keybinds/defensives (like food/pot binds/some abilities and stuff like freedom/anticipate/resonance) but wouldn't say I'm an expert. Slowly working on making the shift to full manual. 

@X5-452 Yeah I've been looking at that as an upgrade, but I want to commit to learning a style first before fully investing. I use planted feet for range (on offhand shadow glaive). Unfortunately, I don't have any of the new abilities (don't think I have any of the ones you mentioned). 

First off, you're in a great starting point. Give yourself some credit for getting to where you are already. 

2 hours ago, Calenon said:

Account:

I'm maxed with nearly all quests completed (including most of the new ones). This includes, elder overloads, 120 summoning (with ancient summoning unlocked/120 arch), T99 Range/Melee Curses (missing Mage T99), 120 slayer, 150 invention. 

Gear:

• All my gear is augmented (perk quality varies)
  • Melee:
    • Full Custom Trimmed Masterwork
    • T90 Drygores/Scythe 
    •  
  • Mage: 
    • Virtus Top/Legs/Helm/Boots
    • Ragefire Boots
    • Inquisitor Staff
    • Large Rune Pouch
  • Range:
    • Pernix Top/Legs/Helm
    • Fleeting Boots
    • Nightmare Gauntlets
    • T90 Ascensions 
    • Off-hand shadow glaive
  • Misc.
    • Cinderbanes
    • Scrip of Jas
    • Amulet of Souls (or)
    • Ring of Death
    • Ports T85 Top/Helm/Plate for all three combat styles

Since you said you are most comfortable with range, I'm going to reply based on that. Being able to do high level PVM well in a single style is often seen as more important than being able to use whatever style, but struggling. I personally would say do what you have the most fun in, and focus there. 

Gear: 

I'm retired, but if you decide to go range, the big upgrades I recommend are an essence of finality with a dark bow loaded into it. That's what I used most commonly and is the most afforable. Then you want to save up for either Greater Ricochet, or an Eldritch Crossbow. That will get you great DPS. I'm assuming your shadow glaive is a planted feet swap, and eventually once you get your ECB, you can make your offhand ascension into a flanking switch. I would say do not worry about T90 armor. Stick with Pernix until you level up your damage dealing to max. Seren God Bow is nice, but is more niche for its special. ECB is superior for damage against everything, not just the large bosses. I never got an SGB and still did plenty of damage. 

Roles: 

You obviously have gone to a couple AOD raids, so I think you're already good personally. I would say maybe taking a role such as Fumus tank would be a good learning step. 

If you go to a raid, Pet tanking at beastmaster, or being stun 5 at Yakamaru are good starter roles. 

Techniques: 

Prayer flicking between protection prayers, and soul split is a massive help. Practicing Raksha is a great practice for this. 

Shield swapping is extremely beneficial at some bosses such as Yakamaru.

Full Manual- It definitely helps DPS if you can do it. I personally never could, and I still was able to fight and kill every boss in the game without it. 

Bosses to try: 

Give Solak and Raids a go. I think you're probably capable of doing them, but you may want to upgrade your DPS gear a little before Solak. But raids should be no problem. 

Hey, 

@Red Rat17 Thanks for all the info. 

Gear: I guess the question I'm having is whether or not I should commit to Range or Melee. Range seems more meta these days but it seems like the coin I have would go further if I use it for melee upgrades (ZGS, abilities, etc.). Would most/all end game bosses be doable (by a non-elite PVMer) using melee? If so, what would be the best upgrades for melee?
For range, I def think EOF is the best upgrade immediately (like you said), do you recommend prioritizing Grico or saving for ECB (not sure as to how much they go for). 

Techniques: I'm fairly decent with prayer flicking (from Arch-Glacor/Rax) but I def don't feel as comfortable doing it at bosses that I'm learning the mechanics of (as I know the mechanics I get more comfortable flicking prayers). In terms of full manual, do you recommend not focusing on learning it and just optimize revo? If so, do you have any tips on how to do that? 

Bosses: I've done some raids, but honestly my schedule is pretty sporadic in terms of when I can play so I'm not sure if group bosses (3+ people) would be best for me. Do you recommend I try joining some to learn different mechanics/etc? I wouldn't mind doing some small group bossing (not sure how many people Solak requires). 

7 hours ago, Calenon said:

Gear: I guess the question I'm having is whether or not I should commit to Range or Melee. 

I believe @Afternine can give a good insight on this

You have really good gear to start with. Range gives you way more freedom all around so i'd suggest that. And definitely grico before ecb (both after dbow EoF); it's not only half the price but also more impactful when combined with hydrix bolts imo than ecb. 

If you don't have grico, save every penny you have and buy it. Then invest in hydrix backriminal bolts, get an EOF and put dark bow in it. You'll never ever look back. You're only handicapping yourself by bossing with melee. Trust me. I did over 2k HM glacor kills with melee on the struggle bus for 0-500% claims. I did the things I mentioned and got 1k enrage while streaking the next day. Ranged dps is god tier.

Edits: Some spelling / grammar errors

Edited by Afternine

Hey, 

@Afternine@Fedalthank for the insight. Looks like I’ll commit to range, starting with GRico, EOF/Darkbow and go from there.  Grico is roughly 1.3b right? 

In terms of bosses to try, I’ll probably try pushing some enrage at Arch but any other recommendations for bosses to try with range? I’ve attempted ED1 but can’t seem to get past second boss.

Glacor is good because if you're streaking even 0-500% you're going to make decent money in commons. Nex is also a decent money making boss, I'd recommend duoing this one for a bit to learn if you don't already know it. 

Other good money making bosses include hm kerapac, and croesus (yes a skilling boss, but it can make you bank).

That sounds like a plan, I've gotten GRICO and EOF/Darkbow so I'll start working on learning the new rotations. I'm using the ability bar off the wiki (the one with GRICO). Any suggested modifications?

Also, is croesus soloable? If so, any good guides you'd recommend?

Edited by Calenon

The main points of your bar while having grico and eof/darkbow should be just having grico used on cooldown when not max adren and spam eof/db special as often as you can basically. Snapshot does still have decent value, but you'll primarily want to use eof/db special.

And unfortunately no, croe is not soloable. 

Edited by Afternine

Sounds good, thanks for the insights. I'll see how high I can push HM Arch and then try some Nex solo. I appreciate all the help from everyone on this!