Where do you keep your money?

Red Rat17

Returning to RS, I see that a lot of things I was on the cusp of buying before leaving suddenly cost astronomically more (cinderbanes, runes, limitless, EOFs, praesul codex ect). 

In the real world in times of inflation, you don’t want to be sitting on your cash, you want to have going towards assets that will appreciate with inflation, or invested with a decent rate of return. Otherwise you’re wasting your money. 

So after the DBL exp announcement, I’ve been checking to see what items spiked the most, and when it ends, as well as products that are continuing to go up. I’ll be stockingpiling a large portion of my cash stack towards those items, and either holding them till the next day exp, or selling stuff off If I need cash. 

Does anyone else do something similar? Or do most people just sit on their cash stack till they are ready to buy the next big item? Do you get decent returns? Do you recommend it? 

I don’t think I want to become a true “flipper” per se, but as I’m saving up for a FCoA, and mage armor sets, I don’t think it serves much purpose to camp on my cash stack till then. 

I may make a post in the future to track what the results are, but the more I think of it, the more I’m surprised most people I know tend to sit on GP rather than assets 

I fully expected this to be a bank vs money pouch topic and I was coming here just to tag Cam. Alas. 

With the games age, those assets were party hats. Right now the only thing that is a surefire thing to sit on are golden party hats, as they are limited in supply and not returning to the game. With all the ninja updates, treasure hunter promos, and ongoing structural changes to the game we've been seeing this year (wildy and eventual max stack increase to name a few) its arguably significantly harder to find something stable to sit on, apart from gphats, with the hope of them going up over time. 

all my money went into supplies and gear...and then i just stockpile my loots....until my bank can take no more

1 hour ago, Red Rat17 said:

I don’t think I want to become a true “flipper” per se, but as I’m saving up for a FCoA, and mage armor sets, I don’t think it serves much purpose to camp on my cash stack till then. 

This is like a 2 week grind at most to afford from 0. You don't really need to keep all your wealth in stuff to sell during dxpw's. I doubt the returns on that move are really all that good when you just consider you could be killing bosses for a few hours a day and make more in a few days than that 3 month 'flip' will net you.

I keep my extra cash in shards, readily available to swap out for real cash to buy stuff I might need.

1 hour ago, addgent said:

i usually sit on loot from pmv or buy combat gear, other than that i keep it in shards. 

This man gets it.

I have a seed collection going so I guess you could say I have money invested in that but wouldn't recommend that anyone do the same -- Pretty sure its not a great investment :lol: 

1 hour ago, Aerrigo said:

With the games age, those assets were party hats. Right now the only thing that is a surefire thing to sit on are golden party hats, as they are limited in supply and not returning to the game. With all the ninja updates, treasure hunter promos, and ongoing structural changes to the game we've been seeing this year (wildy and eventual max stack increase to name a few) its arguably significantly harder to find something stable to sit on, apart from gphats, with the hope of them going up over time. 

G Phats are a meme investment. Everyone and their mother got a couple of them and are sitting on them with the same idea. The truth of the matter is that while they will rise their effective rise over time will not beat what you could be earning by using the cash invested in them more directly to earn money.

If you have literally nothing else to spend cash on to earn more cash or are deciding you want to take a 5 year break from the game then maybe picking up a few is a move, but otherwise... it's probably better to spend that cash on something that directly makes your earning potential higher through active gameplay. (Gear, supplies, and abilities)

1 hour ago, AmusedDragon said:

This is like a 2 week grind at most to afford from 0. You don't really need to keep all your wealth in stuff to sell during dxpw's. I doubt the returns on that move are really all that good when you just consider you could be killing bosses for a few hours a day and make more in a few days than that 3 month 'flip' will net you.

I keep my extra cash in shards, readily available to swap out for real cash to buy stuff I might need.

My plan is no different than using shards really, except I have the potential to earn more, because shards stay the same price. I agree for big trades you need to use shards because they're no different than cash, but if I can sell the items I'm holding, even without waiting for double exp, I'd still likely profit the way that everything related to raw materials continues to go up.

Ps. I'm not able to get 4b in 2 weeks, I'm a casual 🤑

Imo merching is boring as hell and isn't even good unless you have billions to play with. I agree with Amused, the real investment is gear/supplies that you can actively make money with. Gear does never ever lose value.

I'm still very short on cash as I'm buying supplies to more easily pvm. I'm pretty bad so having good gear makes me mediocre instead of bad.

4 hours ago, Beric said:

I fully expected this to be a bank vs money pouch topic and I was coming here just to tag Cam. Alas. 

Well you can bet your ass it still piqued my interest. 

Just buy rares, man, isn't everyone a multi-billionaire these days?

26 minutes ago, Cam L said:

Just buy rares, man, isn't everyone a multi-billionaire these days?

Me sitting on 35M, 75M being the max I've ever held 😭

I knew I was playing Runescape wrong 😂

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 9:03 PM, Xufiie said:

Me sitting on 35M, 75M being the max I've ever held 😭

I knew I was playing Runescape wrong 😂

Lol I never go above 100M. Glad I am not the only one!

I must’ve missed this thread entirely when it was started. I do have some insight as I make most of my gp from in game trades.

In terms of RS investment, I have a second account that I do long term gp goals with and weekly marginal percentage profits.  

I find for long term potential investments it’s a better strategy to buy items that “could” be useful in the future but have reached roughly alch price. By doing this you eliminate the risk of losing your money as you can then always alch them in the future. 

Some items That I like currently are GWD1 bandos gear and Royal crossbow pieces, it’s very inexpensive, reasonably close to  alch price, and has the potential to be brought back into usefulness if they at some point released some new invention perks that needed them. This is very long term money, expect 1 year + return if you buy. 

Short term, where I do most of my weekly work, it’s best to find extremely high volume items. This is in easy supply these days due to the massive market around PVM supplies. Hundreds of thousands of brews, incense sticks, prayer pots, and now extreme sets all are traded all day every day.

To actually make capital from these items, I’d suggest a 400m start. You buy the maximum amount of any of the items 5% lower than the current lowest price point, and sell at 5% above the maximum buy point. Doing this is about a week (maybe less, due to limits) of buying and a week or more if selling. The profits you gain as you increase the investment scale, and over the course of 5-6 months you should be able to do it with 3-4 max stacks at a time, allowing even higher profits. 

I never really paid much attention last time I did it as to how much time it took me, but I liquidated to buy magic on the release of Zammy, so I will just pay attention this time as I rebuild my stacks and let you know an accurate timeframe. 

On 8/4/2022 at 1:52 AM, AmusedDragon said:

I keep my extra cash in shards

Same. Though, if I suddenly learned top tier pvm and bought all the expensive weapons for it, I might not have any shards left :P 

3 minutes ago, X5-452 said:

Same. Though, if I suddenly learned top tier pvm and bought all the expensive weapons for it, I might not have any shards left :P 

Having BIS or near BIS gear can help a lot when learning PvM. It will increase your baseline dps and survivalibility a lot. If you are interested consider making the leap.