Quests

Vitte

So I'm questing a ton, working towards that city of sentisten and all the new spells that comes with it. Nearly there. I think most people has always hated quests for the most part, and they used to be quite boring. But the new quests seem kinda cool to me, nice storyline, and I'm playing through it all at once, so I actually remember the timeline! Having fun with it so far at least.

Yeah, I've always enjoyed questing. Of course, it has taken many forms over the years. Glad to see you're enjoying the newer content. Good luck with the rest!

Most quests are usually fun, especially ones that are really lore heavy. I do miss them doing actual cut scenes though rather than just dialogue under a picture. 

I'm glad you're having a good time! Enjoy at your own pace, and appreciate the storylines in full. <3

~~~~~

I personally have always loved questing, and the lore-heavy quests that have a strong narrative and do important worldbuilding have always been my favorite. ^_^ Working towards "While Guthix Sleeps" was well worth it back in the day, and the most fun I've ever had with this game was playing "Ritual of the Mahjarrat" on release.

There are admittedly some awful filler quests, primarily from the early days, that hardly comprise a meaningful story; but even they were a pleasant diversion from the grind, and still mostly better than the "kill or collect x" most other MMOs still have.

That isn't to say that I enjoy every quest in itself, even if I appreciate the experience of questing. The narratively unsound ones are what trouble me more than those with flawed and outdated mechanics, or the overly simplistic plagiarisms adaptations, or the miniquest-tier tasks. "Salt in the Wound" is my go-to least-favorite for being awful in every single aspect (not a joke) and completely ruining a quest series that had so much potential, both as a decent Lovecraftian adaptation and as part of an previously interesting Temple Knight series.

In particular, they really need to stop doing God-related quests. They had so much potential in the early RS3 days, but they haven't been well-written in a very long time and have progressively gotten worse in every respect. *

* Spoilers from "Aftermath."

Spoiler

On the bright side, the Seventh Age of Chaos and the return of the Guthixian Edicts means that we won't have Gods feature as characters, if nothing else. I'm not expecting RotM-caliber ever again, but maybe we can go back to the Fifth Age quests that used the Gods well in background lore (e.g., Myreque series) or which knew how to portray them with the gravitas they should have (e.g., "The Temple at Senntisten").

~~~~~

15 hours ago, X5-452 said:

Looking at you Broken Home. 

I liked this one a lot. :(

On 12/31/2022 at 12:06 AM, Hess said:

Yeah, I think my favorite quest line was the Fremmenik ones like Blood Runs Deep.

Good stuff!

Yeah, that was actually very good. forgot about that one

On 12/31/2022 at 10:53 AM, X5-452 said:

There are great, fun & funny quests, but then there are ofc the others... Looking at you Broken Home. 

Broken home with a laggy computer... everything froze when entering a new room. tough getting the speed run task back in the dayI

9 hours ago, Sirsir said:

I'm glad you're having a good time! Enjoy at your own pace, and appreciate the storylines in full. <3

~~~~~

I personally have always loved questing, and the lore-heavy quests that have a strong narrative and do important worldbuilding have always been my favorite. ^_^ Working towards "While Guthix Sleeps" was well worth it back in the day, and the most fun I've ever had with this game was playing "Ritual of the Mahjarrat" on release.

There are admittedly some awful filler quests, primarily from the early days, that hardly comprise a meaningful story; but even they were a pleasant diversion from the grind, and still mostly better than the "kill or collect x" most other MMOs still have.

That isn't to say that I enjoy every quest in itself, even if I appreciate the experience of questing. The narratively unsound ones are what trouble me more than those with flawed and outdated mechanics, or the overly simplistic plagiarisms adaptations, or the miniquest-tier tasks. "Salt in the Wound" is my go-to least-favorite for being awful in every single aspect (not a joke) and completely ruining a quest series that had so much potential, both as a decent Lovecraftian adaptation and as part of an previously interesting Temple Knight series.

In particular, they really need to stop doing God-related quests. They had so much potential in the early RS3 days, but they haven't been well-written in a very long time and have progressively gotten worse in every respect. *

* Spoilers from "Aftermath."

Reveal hidden contents

On the bright side, the Seventh Age of Chaos and the return of the Guthixian Edicts means that we won't have Gods feature as characters, if nothing else. I'm not expecting RotM-caliber ever again, but maybe we can go back to the Fifth Age quests that used the Gods well in background lore (e.g., Myreque series) or which knew how to portray them with the gravitas they should have (e.g., "The Temple at Senntisten").

~~~~~

I liked this one a lot. :(

I actually completely agree. Even though it is nice with the god related stuff, and elder gods. its getting a bit much right now. the appeal of it was always the mystery for me, but at the point I'm at right now it almost feels like we are about to 'defeat' the elder gods. (I'm just before city of sentisten)

10 hours ago, Vitte said:

I actually completely agree. Even though it is nice with the god related stuff, and elder gods. its getting a bit much right now. the appeal of it was always the mystery for me, but at the point I'm at right now it almost feels like we are about to 'defeat' the elder gods. (I'm just before city of sentisten)

I won't say anything about that series since I don't want to spoil it for you, but hopefully you'll find things to enjoy!

Fully agreed on the appeal of the Gods being the mystery, and treating them as unknowable entities rather than bickering middle-schoolers.

I love questing and all the different quest lines. Only 4 achievements away from MQC. Good thing about having the quest cape is that you only need to do one quest to get it back 😛