Questions from a returning player

Andario

Hello Everyone - I'm a returning player, and I haven't really played RS in 10+ years. It's a totally different game now, and I have a handful of questions - mainly to make sure that I don't waste these items. I've collected them overtime through twitch drops/etc.

• What skills should I use the lamp/stars on? I'm currently doing Dungeoneering, but I haven't really done much with Dungeoneering yet, so if it's an easy skill to level - I want to make sure that I'm not wasting these items.
  • Should I hold on to protean items for specific bonus times? What about skilling packs, and training dummies?
  • Distraction daily/weekly/monthly resets – I have a handful of these and want to make sure I don’t waste them. What Are the most beneficial daily/weekly/monthlies to reset?
  • Is there anything I should focus on unlocking quest wise? It looks like I need to unlock Prifddinas and Menaphos - beyond those two quest lines - is there anything that I should do ASAP because of bonuses or unlocks?
  • I have 57k oddments – what should I buy? It looks like one of the Lycan pets would be the best quality of life improvement because of banking - but then there are so many other items out there, is that even a big deal now? I already have the silverhawk boots - Are there other major items in here that I should spend oddments on?
  • What auras should I buy? (have 32k loyalty points?)

I know this is a long list of questions - thanks for taking the time. I've looked at different youtube/website guides, but a lot of stuff seems like it isn't current. It feels like spending some of these is a big deal, so I want to make sure I'm efficient. 

Well as your mentor I thank you for posting this list of questions on the forums and not sending them directly to me 😜

Seriously… I don’t have time to tackle them all right now, just a few…

Lamps - prayer is one depending on your level. Prayer can be expensive to train so I always found lamps to be a good use on this skill

Proteins - Speaking for myself I save them for DXP weeks (Jagex does a full week now versus 10 years ago we got a weeeknd). What ever I have left over I save till the next DXP. 

Distraction - just wiki them and prioritize them in order to your needs. I don’t remember if wiki was out 10 years ago but here’s the site it has a wealth of excellent RS information.  https://runescape.wiki/

Also, some good RS3 YouTubers with very good current content are

Protoxx

Nuzz Nuzz

Wazzy

A Friend

Not all current but excellent guides and advice…

UrgntJustice

The RS Guy

Edited by T H E Man

Hi Andario! I was in the same boat as you when I first came back to the game. Some things that I hope help get you started in the right direction:

• Many will suggest dumping lamps and stars into buyable skills. Prayer and herblore are great places to start.
  • You'll want to use protean items during DXP. Except for memories. Protean memories suck.
  • In terms of quest series, I'd suggest looking at the Myreque, Sliske's Game, and The Elder Godwars . The wiki is really good about showing you the suggested quests to better understand the lore.
  • Invention is pretty awesome, and I'd probably suggest that as one of the first things that you begin working on. It's known as an elite skill, so it requires 80 crafting, divination, and smithing to start.
  • The returning players' guide is definitely worth checking out.

I'll leave your other points to those who know far more than I do. :biggrin_002: The RS wiki is honestly one of the best game wikis I've ever used. Keep it open in a separate tab and check it as often as you need.

7 hours ago, Andario said:

is there anything that I should do ASAP because of bonuses or unlocks?

Training archaeology helps a lot with other gameplay, I'd do that every time you want to afk. Unlocking Invention should also be one of the priorities, and accessing Anachronia and the base camp building is better started off early. Also player owned ports perhaps :) 

HI @Andario

Welcome, and welcome back to RS

As another 20+ year game veteran newbie, who took long breaks, like you..?

MOST important thing is to ..HAVE FUN!! 😀

Its ..overwhelming.. how much there is to do

all great advice given here.. i'd suggest look at wiki and do quest 

Good luck 

, have fun😀 

19 hours ago, Andario said:

I have 57k oddments – what should I buy? It looks like one of the Lycan pets would be the best quality of life improvement because of banking - but then there are so many other items out there, is that even a big deal now? I already have the silverhawk boots - Are there other major items in here that I should spend oddments on?

A bigger QoL upgrade that a legendary pet offers is looting your drops for you. Really convenient when training slayer and with some bosses. 

It's not a terrible pickup with oddments, but you can also convert bonds into runecoins (or purchase them for real money) to buy a legendary pet from the shop. And if you have Premier membership use the reward token to pick up the Bloodpouncer pet (it's a legendary, the rest offered are not). 

21 hours ago, T H E Man said:

Protoxx

Nuzz Nuzz

Wazzy

A Friend

Not all current but excellent guides and advice…

UrgntJustice

The RS Guy

I'd also add Init Yeah to that list. He does trips and tricks videos quite often.

21 hours ago, TullyCicero said:

Protean memories suck.

This and protean cogs are also a waste. Just convert both of those if you have any. 

Welcome back, again! ^_^

To answer the question about Auras bought with Loyalty Points...

Jack of Trades (T2-T5) is easily #1 and should be your focus. You can efficiently complete any tier within a few minutes if you have a preset and plan, and it can offer a lot of XP for minimal effort. It's another daily, but you can always choose if you want to do it or not.

After that, combat Auras are generally considered the best use of Loyalty Points. Penance (T2) is probably the second-best one you can buy, great for weaker bosses and Slayer. The accuracy auras (T1-T4) are also great choices; those are: Brawler for melee, Sharpshooter for Ranged, and Runic Accuracy for Magic.

If you want to consider skilling, definitely look at Wisdom (T3-T5) for extra XP, and the skill-specific Auras (T1-T5) can be well worth the points. You'll have to judge the use for the skilling ones for yourself, since some are better than others, and it can change based on your play style. For example, if you fish occasionally, Call of the Sea can be amazing; on the other hand, Flameproof is now utterly useless with the Cooking Skillcape passive.