Uni + RS= ?

abetterplyer

Heyo!

im starting my first year of uni at the end of feb and was wondering if anyone did what im thinking of, and that is having rs open during lectures at uni?

how bad of an idea is this 🤔

I legit made a friend or two in uni cause we were afking RS during class.

Also, it really just depends on the lecture you are in. I would encourage you to figure out your classes/how you study/if the lecture is useful to you first before doing anything like that.

There were classes where I knew I had to be paying attention and doing things, and then there were classes where attendance was a requirement but the lectures were useless.

As long as you absorb the information and do your assignments it doesn't matter. But if you're not listening during lectures then you might as well not go, and if you're not learning the information you might as well not take the course. Whether there's a class rule about it or what others think of you doing it shouldn't really enter into the equation. Getting a few extra hours of RuneScape in is not important, but if it isn't distracting then go ahead. I think I actually focus better while my mind is engaged with multiple things like doing something AFK in RS and reading or watching videos, but that might not work well in live lectures where you can't just rewind or reread.

I tried but my laptop fans would start spinning when my rs tab was open. Couldn’t really do much anyway and there wasn’t nearly as much worthwhile content you could afk at that time so idk. Suffering through the class makes the time you spend playing rs that much better

Veggie's answer is the objectively correct one. :3

That said, I would highly recommend against not paying attention during your first courses at university regardless. Even if you eventually want to spend time gaming during your lectures, you should figure out how college is for you, get a feel for the content and setup of different courses in your potential major, and basically establish yourself before making unacademic decisions like that.

1 hour ago, Kris_Kronkle said:

I tried but my laptop fans would start spinning when my rs tab was open.

"Why is that dude's laptop so loud during lecture? It sounds like a plane taking off".

*sees Kris in class doing a farm run*

:amused:

7 hours ago, AmusedDragon said:

"Why is that dude's laptop so loud during lecture? It sounds like a plane taking off".

*sees Kris in class doing a farm run*

:amused:

Literally this

You are (presumably) paying money to receive an education (or, again presumably, someone else is on your behalf). Even if you aren't, the money is coming from somewhere and could very easily be spent on someone else. Your education and your performance is going to have real impacts on what you do in your life. Show up, pay attention, take notes, figure out what else you need to do to be successful, and do it. Maybe if you find that you can do whatever on RS without it affecting your performance, go ahead and do it, but if your grades slip in any way that should be the first thing you cut out. I don't mean to sound like your mom here, but real life has consequences. The game shouldn't be top-of-mind when you're going into class. 

1 hour ago, Cam L said:

You are (presumably) paying money to receive an education (or, again presumably, someone else is on your behalf). Even if you aren't, the money is coming from somewhere and could very easily be spent on someone else. Your education and your performance is going to have real impacts on what you do in your life. Show up, pay attention, take notes, figure out what else you need to do to be successful, and do it. Maybe if you find that you can do whatever on RS without it affecting your performance, go ahead and do it, but if your grades slip in any way that should be the first thing you cut out.

+1

On 1/29/2023 at 8:21 PM, abetterplyer said:

Heyo!

im starting my first year of uni at the end of feb and was wondering if anyone did what im thinking of, and that is having rs open during lectures at uni?

how bad of an idea is this 🤔

Absolutely not. Classes always come first, runescape can always be played, but grades are forever. Even if it's something social like a party or hanging out with friends, it should be placed before rs.

Lectures are super important and you basically need to listen to all of it even if you think it's useless. Never think "oh the class is recorded" because you most definitely will not go back to look at it, and then exams will crawl up to you real fast.

5 minutes ago, Isohel said:

Absolutely not. Classes always come first, runescape can always be played, but grades are forever. Even if it's something social like a party or hanging out with friends, it should be placed before rs.

Lectures are super important and you basically need to listen to all of it even if you think it's useless. Never think "oh the class is recorded" because you most definitely will not go back to look at it, and then exams will crawl up to you real fast.

I can definitely think of 1 person who had to repeat a year cause they played too much rs during school :sly:

Another factor is if you value the teacher-student relationship. Teachers can tell when students are paying attention to other things and not jus taking notes. If it's someone you may want to develop as a mentor, possibly take future non-intro level classes with (and thus likely smaller class sizes), get a recommendation from, etc then you'll want to make a good impression. If it's not, then this doesn't matter at all, and read what Amused & Veggie said. 

I work from home, and I AFK on my tablet throughout the day. It's pretty easy to do - you just need to make sure that your priority is what you're supposed to be doing, not RS. 

I used to see people playing world of Warcraft during lectures. Personally I used RuneScape to procrastinate but never during lectures.