Prestige

Beric

This looks like an idea from call of duty.. Fantastic job jagex, you have outdone yourself this time :facepalm2:

Q: YOU said that you didn't want to reward those who achieved 200m xp in any skills because it encourages "unhealthy gameplay" but isn't this what the prestige system does already?? But worse?

Since there's no end, it'll be even worse than going for 200ms, you will basically have to keep going forever to keep top spots if my understanding of it is correct.

Mod Jack: The issue with 200M was not putting a specific reward in for it, because in some player's eyes that content makes it mandatory.

Because prestiging is uncapped, there's nothing specific to work towards other than wanting to beat whoever is currently rank #1 on the high score table.

If your primary motivation is to "finish" the game, then you should ignore the prestige system. It's designed to be uncapped so that people can keep competing.

For example, the seasonal high scores have no cap. No one tries to "complete" Imp Slayer because it's not logically completable. Prestiging is the same way. 

Q: Haven't read into this alot but will there be new capes for prestiged skills that have hit 99? That's the only reason I'd take part in prestiges personally.

Mod Jack: No. There will be other cosmetic rewards for prestiging which you can use alongside your cape. 

1) You'll be able to tell which skill the reward came from, and how many times the player has prestiged that skill.

2) You get the first "tier" of reward as soon as you reset a skill for the first time, which means you'll get new stuff on launch day if you have a 99.

3) The additional "tiers" of reward are procedurally generated. For example, if the tier 1 version displayed a number 1, the tier 5 version would display a number 5. Each skill/prestige number reward is not a special unique thing.

Are these two questions not just a big fat fucking contradiction of one another? "No cosmetic reward for 200m because that is unhealthy"... "But we'll give you cosmetic rewards for prestiging a bunch".

The first sentence of this response...

Q: You say you want ranks to be "fair" and to display who has worked the hardest... But I don't get why someone could theoretically be ranked higher than me after doing 13,034,432 strength xp, compared to my 200m? How is that displaying who has worked the hardest?

Mod Jack: This is more of a rhetorical question than a genuine one but I'll try to address it.

Obviously he said more than that, but who cares.

I figured out the push behind the Prestige mode:

It's to get people to buy more spins. Reset your XP, then buy a shitload of spins to race for first!

*in the Jagex boardroom*

Gerhard: "Revenue from Squeal of Fortune has fallen. Why has that happened?"

Executive in charge of SoF: "With all due respect, master, more people are getting maxed, and not enough new players are joining the game."

Gerhard: "Then find a way to make the maxed players buy spins as well!"

My bitching paid off:

http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/c=oifzTZJfHa8/sl=0/forums.ws?16,17,697,65181137

Hi everyone!

Just got out of a serious four hour meeting with Mod MMG, Mod Mark and Mod Pips.

Prestige was intended from the start to be a really positive thing. We wanted to create something to bring players together in competing once more and having something to strive for. We sounded the idea out with some high level players early on and they made positive noises, so we were confident that we were doing something good.

It's very clear from the community feedback that not everyone agrees. We're definitely not too proud to admit that we made a mistake, but we need to know that the negative feedback is definitely representative.

Therefore, we've decided to put this to a poll. We're still working out the details of exactly how we're going to poll it, but if a majority of players don't want the update to happen, it won't happen.

More on this tomorrow.

Though I wouldn't put it past them to manipulate this poll.
Making the early-game gear worthwhile again? That's great.
Not to mention all of the resources that'll be getting more use.

I do wish they'd up the 200M xp cap if this goes through.

I believe they can up it but only to 214M which isn't really worth having the ugly number for, in my opinion.

I really don't understand the fuss regarding prestige. If you don't want to take it into account, just ignore the prestige highscores and keep the current one as your point of reference for who's played the most.

I believe they can up it but only to 214M which isn't really worth having the ugly number for, in my opinion.

I really don't understand the fuss regarding prestige. If you don't want to take it into account, just ignore the prestige highscores and keep the current one as your point of reference for who's played the most.

Because there is in-game cosmetic rewards for prestiging. But Jagex fought so adamantly against players who requested a cosmetic reward for 200M (i.e. smoke trim on capes)

Player 1 has 200m agility right now, which took him over 3,000 hours of agility training.

Player 2 has 13,034,431 agility right now, which took him much, much less (lets say 300).

Prestige comes out, and they both want to train their prestige up.

Lets say * represents the prestige that Player 2 would have to reach to achieve 200m overall agility exp.

Player 1 and 2 train up to prestige X, spending 3,000 hours each. 

Final Stats:::

Player 1: 200m agility exp, Prestige X, 6,000 hours spent.

Player 2: 200m agility exp, prestige X, slightly over 3,300 hours spent.

Congratz Player 1, you wasted 112.5 days of your life (in playing time) for the exact same placement in the new hiscores, and a slightly better placement in the 'old hiscores'.

^ This is the summary of the frustration with most high-level players. Note that I have not trained any skill beyond 99/13m, but I feel their pain.

This is the best suggestion that accomplishes Jagex's goal of making the highscores competitive again, without screwing anything up:

This has been suggested before but I agree:

I think a more realistic way to incite competition would be to make an 'Official' Runetracker that tracks daily/weekly/monthly/yearly XP gains as well as interesting stats like XP p/h and efficiency stats.

Most players competing for XP and ranks already use Runetracker every single day to track their gains and progress over the day/week/month, and to compare themselves to other players. Jagex should really consider adopting this same system to the current highscores as it would be very interesting.

If they added prizes much like the current Seasonal Highscores, you would get loads of players competing for these slots. This would be a much more realistic way for most people to get their name at the top of the HS and gain some recognition for their achievements

Edited by Memphus

I like it as an idea to boost the baseline / low level economy. Not thrilled about it as a concept, though it doesn't effect me at all as I would never dream of resetting a stat or competing for a high scores rank.