Player Owned Farms - RS Official Announcement

thegreatwha

Here's the announcement for the new Player Owned Farms

just released today.

Now you can learn how to raise dragon!!!!! - seriously :)

I just copied and pasted from the official website. There may be more I'm sure on the actual Mod Discord plus Reddit.  But in any case, I at least look forward to seeing the clan getting after the POF gainz. Happy farming!!!

Player Owned Farm

Player Owned Farm!

This week is all about getting your hands dirty. Slaying dragons may be what the fine folk at the Flying Horse Inn are gossiping about, but raising dragons is the calling of the truly bold. So bring not your armour and your sword – it’s time to grab some dirty overalls and a mucking fork and get stuck into the wonderful world of farming!

Player Owned Farm is a brand new way to work on your Farming Skill, and was one of the most sought after requests from the community Build-a-Backlog poll. The update comes courtesy of the Judges team, with frequent help and direction from the RuneScape community who spent many hours nattering away with Mod Raven and Mod Rowley in the RuneScape Player Owned Farm Discord channel.

The community has been so involved in the shaping of such a large chunk of this content drop – so a massive, very horticultural ‘thank you’ to everyone who took the time to help us shape Player Owned Farm!

Requirements

Those wishing to brave the world of tillage and animal husbandry will need:

• 17 Farming
  • 20 Construction
  • Access to the Ardougne LodeStone
  • RuneScape Membership

Starting Off

Once you arrive, head over to dear old Granny Potterington and she’ll run you through the basics of getting your farm up and running. Once you have completed the tutorial you'll start by farming rabbits, before working your way up through a range of species… and yes, those who put in the hard toil will indeed be able to farm dragons!

And on that farm I had a...

So you're probably wondering, how do I get animals for my farm? Well, you can get animals from your farm by:

• Hunting
  • Summoning
  • Farming Mushrooms
  • Killing Animals

(All of the above result in you murdering the parent and stealing their offspring - you utter, cruel, monster.)

• However, you can also buy some animals from Granny should you prefer. (Which is most definitely the nicer option... you're a nice person, right?)

Once you have your animals, here’s a few pointers on how the farm operates:

• There are four different pens: small, medium, large and the breeding pen - it's here that you can make lots of babies and try and create the perfect breed.
  • Breeding new animals can result in different perks and traits, and bred animals can even have multiple stackable traits. For example, a bred animal may be less susceptible to disease, or instead return greater than normal XP. Some may have a higher potential to poo gold – yes, you heard us correctly.
  • As your animal grows, you'll be able to gather XP and farming materials from it.
  • There’s also the chance of producing an ultra-rare shiny version of an animal! However, because Mod Raven worked on this farm, you may also find yourself birthing an evil animal. Because of course he would make that possible...

Mucking Out - a new way to get compost!

Everybody poos and your new farm animals are no exception. Luckily there's a silver lining to the animals' tendency to distribute their produce far and wide - you can use this as a training method to help you get more farming XP!

With the poo itself you can make standard compost. Plus, if you're lucky enough to have a dragon on your farm, you can use dragon muck to create the all-new Ultra Compost.

Rewards

Rewards you ask? Of course there are a "shed-load" of rewards, as if owning your own farm wasn't a reward enough?

• Standard and Ultra Compost
  • All new Skilling Potions! (starting from standard, and working up to extremes) - secondary items are gained from gathering from the animals.

The Skilling Potions skills are: Divination, Hunter, Invention and RuneCrafting

• There is also the brand new ‘Elite Farmers Outfit’. This is the first Elite Skilling Outfit that is not from Treasure Hunter and is gained in-game. Whoop!
Edited by thegreatwha

Been reading some of the rs subreddit and saw a lot of interesting opinions on this update. I'm a little worried. :reporter:

18 minutes ago, AmusedDragon said:

I'm a little worried. :reporter:

About? 

I was looking forward to this update, but there's little to no actual gameplay. :/

Taken from discord:

1. Small pens hold 6 animals, medium pens hold 4 animals, large pens hold 3 animals, breeding pen holds 4 animals

2. Most tasks at the farm can yield you around 20 or so (40 @ level 99, 60? @ level 120) master farmer's fragments. There appears not to necessarily be a hard time cool down for this. The first 2 hours of the update, this number was 100 for under level 99, 200 for level 99, etc.)

3. If you are looking for bean profit only, ADOLESCENT animals are the ones you want to sell

4. There is some degree of heritability on traits, but it is not entirely determined strictly by genetics

5. Dragons are worth two thousand beans base, more with trait/breed modifiers, at the adolescent stage.

6. Dragons may take a day or more to grow (per stage, a week total). The remainder of the animals are within the less than a day category with respect to growth

7. If multiple types of food are listed, they will prefer all food types equally (order of food does not matter)

8. "Honey, good food, and certain cow milk will raise health and happiness. Certain traits will also affect both health and happiness"

9. There can be a maximum of 2 babies in a breeding pet (due to 4 animal limit in breeding pen, and needing 2 adolescent+ to make a baby)(edited)

10. Elders can in fact breed

11. Hunting SKILLCHOMPAS, not red chinchompas, will give you a chance of getting the chinchompa farm animal

12. Zygomites are obtained from farming mushrooms, INCLUDING the arc mushrooms AND mort myre mushrooms from logs.

13. When hunting/killing for farm animals, there is some variation in how they are obtained. Some (like rabbits) will go straight into your inventory). Others will drop as eggs (ie spiders). Still others will have a drop as a farm animal (ie. yaks), which can wonder until picked up. Most if not all are associated with a green message in your chatbox (depending on settings, may only appear in private chat).

14. The summoning dragon egg item is NOT the same as the farm animal dragon egg item.

15. The construction requirements to build new pens IS assistable.

16. There are hidden achievements at the player owned farm (ie. breeding a rabbit with the ravensworn trait)(edited)

17. There will be a new buyer each day for small pens, a new buyer for medium pens every other day, and a new buyer for large pens every third day.

18. The person that comes in to buy stuff on contract is DETERMINED by what you have in your pens. If your pens are all empty, you will only receive buyers for the lowest level of each type of pen (rabbit for small, sheep for medium, cow for large). If you have different animals in your two pens, it becomes 50/50 on what the buyer will want.(edited)

19. Medium and Large pen buyers will stay until dismissed (aka will carry over from day to day)

20. IF YOU WANT COMP CAPE BACK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE: BUY ZYGOMITES AND PLACE WITHIN MEDIUM PENS (chins and dragons also work well)(edited)

21. It is POSSIBLE that ED2 does not currently give drops of farming animals. If this is the case, it is something that Jagex will intend to fix.

22. You can obtain various types of honey from using flowers (like marigolds) on beehives. This is the type of honey that will affect happiness NOT honey obtained through other methods

23. Seasons are based on ACTUAL real life seasons. Aka if you want comp cape back without farming 5000 beans, it will take you 7 MONTHS.

24. Zygomites eat mushrooms, dragons eat meat and fish

25. Black sheep can only be grown from 9pm game time to 9 am game time

26. The following can be put in a small pen: Rabbits, Chickens, Chinchompas (This and the following are in order of increasing bean return)(edited)

27. The following can be put in a medium pen: Sheeps, Spiders, Zygomites

28. The following can be put in a large pen: Cows, Yaks, Dragons

29. The relative costs of animals are as follows: 100% base cost adolescent, 85% base cost adult, 70% base cost elder, 20% base cost baby, 10% base cost egg

30. UNSTABLE animals have the potential to DIE. However, an unstable animal dying apparently may not be a bad thing?

31. There are 32 animal names per gender per type of animal.

32. If you want an animal that will breed well, you want an animal that is "virile" or "studly"(edited)

33. Once deposited into a trough, produce cannot be taken back out. Instead, you will receive a MUSH of the type of feed you deposited if you try and remove feed.

34. Adolescents through elders all have the capability to breed equally (minus the virile trait if present).

35. Shiny sheep gives golden fleece, cows of a different type give flavored milk(edited)

36. Growth of one dragon from baby to elder (1 week total time) gives 200k farming exp

37. All animals give some sort of produce on harvest EXCEPT the common brown rabbit.

38. Dragon dung can be turned into ultracompost (need to use 15 buckets of dragon manure on a compost bin)

39. Green manure can be used to make super compost.

40. The king black dragon drops the black dragon egg NOT the royal dragon egg, same with QBD. In order to get the royal dragon egg, you must breed for it(edited)

41. Zygomites are 10x more likely from uncharted mushroom clusters when compared to arc mushroom clusters

42. Spirit breeds are NOT obtained from drops (summoning appears to be the method for all unless otherwise identified)

43. Animal happiness can be maintained overtime simply by being fed. Honey and flavored milk and other methods simply act as shortcuts

44. You SHOULD be able to get eggs from a player owned dungeon (per Mod Rowley)

45. BEES TAKE AWHILE TO MAKE SPECIAL HONEY (by awhile, they referred to approximately a full day).

It all seems pretty inconsequential as a whole so far. The most interesting/valuable things you can get out of this entire update appear to be a farming training method that nets you 600k xp/week (200k xp/dragon * 3 dragons * 1 dragon growth cycle/week) and some perk from spiders that gives you an unspecified damage buff at Araxxor? I don't think this is anything I would even think about touching if Comp wasn't involved, which is a shame because overall I think it's a cool idea, but Jagex has shown time and time again that they struggle to incentivize their content. 

20 minutes ago, Cam L said:

struggle?? to incentivize their content. ???

I don't know I think farming dragons for hours on end for hella Bank is a good incentive :^)

Got 3 red eggs and sold all for 105m

3 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

I don't know I think farming dragons for hours on end for hella Bank is a good incentive :^)

Got 3 red eggs and sold all for 105m

Sure, and cannoning rabbits was free money 12 hours ago, but a week from now when everyone has Comp back I doubt dragon egg prices will be close to what they're at now. 

5 minutes ago, GNT Patrick said:

Is this going to be a completionist thing now?

Getting the songs from the farm is a comp req. This either requires waiting for it to naturally change to all four seasons, or buying an item worth 5k "beans" to unlock the songs faster. Couple days of work, nothing extreme. 

2 minutes ago, Beric said:

Getting the songs from the farm is a comp req. This either requires waiting for it to naturally change to all four seasons, or buying an item worth 5k "beans" to unlock the songs faster. Couple days of work, nothing extreme. 

Good, I would hate for everyone who was comped to get slapped in the face with 2 new things in one month. Like "here's your cape back.......JUST KIDDINNNNNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Lol

Just now, GNT Patrick said:

Good, I would hate for everyone who was comped to get slapped in the face with 2 new things in one month. Like "here's your cape back.......JUST KIDDINNNNNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Lol

Nah, that's part of the fun of having the cape :horse:

• 3 weeks later...